Chapter 5

Promise of the Past

Lunch time was over. They headed back to their respective classes. On the way to her class, Hana's phone started to ring. It was her father. What does he want now? Hana thought as she answered the phone. 

Hana. Hana's father. 

^Hello, Hana^

^Yes, father. What do you want? More importantly, what do you need?" 

^Well, I need you in the office right now. I have something that might intrigue you^

^I still have school. Plus, you don't have anything that I might want^

^I for a fact know that you won't pay attention in class and you are free to skip classes whenever you want. You won't know until you come here^

^Fine^ 

Hana ended the call and sighed. 

"What is it, Hana?" Chaeyoung asked. 

"I need to go to the company now. You guys can go to class without me" Hana said. 

"Is something wrong?" Dahyun asked. 

"No, my father wants to see me" Hana said. 

"We understand. Don't worry and go" Tzuyu said. 

Hana nodded and called her driver to come right away. She headed towards the entrance where her driver was already waiting for her. He opened the door for Hana as she entered the car. He closed the door and headed back to the driver's seat. He drove off at Hana's instructions towards Kang Conglomerates. Hana was currently the Executive Director of Kang Conglomerates. Despite her young age, she was already quite well-known in the business world. Her contributions in expanding and increasing the profits of the conglomerate by 10% each year wowed many. Ever since she was a child, Hana had been groomed to be a worthy heiress to Kang Conglomerates. Her work and contributions had earned her the recognition of the shareholders and the company staff. 

She had became one of the youngest to ever be elected as a director. She made sure to prove all those who doubted her wrong each time she succeeded. She arrived at the entrance of the tall skyscraper soon after as her driver opened the door for her. She was still dressed in her school uniform as she walked into the building's lobby. The staff that saw her immediately bowed as she walked past them. She got into the elevator that took her to the 60th floor. The elevator pinged as the doors opened. Hana walked out as she was greeted by her father's secretaries who stood up and bowed. 

"Chairman is already waiting for you, Miss Hana" one of the secretaries said. 

Hana nodded as the secretary opened the door for Hana and beckoned for Hana to enter. 

"Ah, Hana. You're here. Thank you, secretary Jang. You may leave now" Kang Min Hyuk said. 

"Hello, Hwaejangnim" Hana greeted as she took a seat on the couch. 

"You got here faster than I thought" Kang Min Hyuk said.

"I left the school compound as soon as I ended the call. Let's cut the small talk, shall we?" Hana said. 

Hana's father smirked and said "My, my. You have really grown into a fine heiress".

"Father. If you are going to keep up the meaningless talk then I will go back to my office. I still have reports to look through and documents to sign" Hana said unamused with her father's antics.

"Alright. Remember the 4 acres of land that we wanted to purchase a few years ago in Busan but failed due to the old madam's refusal to sell" her father said. 

"Yes, I do. Why?" Hana asked. 

"Well, recently the old madam decided to sell it. There is a secret tender opened to a few major conglomerates in the world which includes us" Hana's father said. 

Hana's eyes widened. Her father chuckled at her reaction. 

"Told you that you would be interested. I need your help in the acquisition of the land for our new project" her father said. 

Hana narrowed her eyes as she leaned against the couch. 

"You know better than anyone how much I wanted that land. The land is mine once the acquisition is complete. I will be heading the new project as the chief planner anyways" Hana said. 

Hana's father looked serious but Hana remained still. She did not fear her father at all. She had her own rights and plans. She wasn't going to let anyone stand in the way of it even if it was her father. 

Her father's stern expression fell apart as he started to laugh. Hana looked on annoyment as she tsked. Her father was the worse at acting. 

"You win. The land is yours if you win that acquisition. You always were the most brilliant business mind among your siblings" her father said.

Hana smirked and said "Don't worry. I will win that land without a doubt. Don't you already know? What I want, I always get it no matter what". 

"Make me proud then. Bring back that land as your prize" her father said. 

Hana chuckled and nodded confidently and said "With pleasure". 

Hana stood up from her side of the couch and bowed. 

"I need to go and prepare then" Hana said. 

"Very well. You may leave then. Oh! Don't forget to come home for dinner tonight. Your brother is leaving for the U.S soon and he won't be back for the next 3 months. Your mother wanted him to have a good farewell dinner" her father said. 

"I understand" Hana said. 

She left her father's office and headed back to the lobby. This time, her secretary, Nam Joo Hyuk was standing by the car waiting for her. He immediately bowed when he saw her step out of the revolving door. 

"Oh! Nam Biseo" Hana greeted. 

"Miss Hana. You should have told me that you would be at the company. I would have come to greet you" Joo Hyuk said. 

"No worries. But now that you're here, I need you to follow me to pay a visit to a certain blonde friend" Hana said. 

Joo Hyuk bowed and opened the door for Hana. Hana entered the car as Joo Hyuk closed the door and got into the front seat. Hana told her driver the address as they took off immediately. They were fast approaching a huge glass building as Hana smirked. I haven't seen her in so long. She's going to throw a huge fit. 

The car finally stopped in front of the glass building as Joo Hyuk hurried to open the door for Hana. Hana stepped out and smoothen the creases on her uniform. She then walked through the revolving doors as she garnered the attention of all the staff. She was about to walk towards the elevators when she was stopped by a front desk receptionist. She raised her brows at the lady. 

"I'm sorry but you are not allowed to enter without permission" the receptionist said. 

"I'm here to see the Vice-President. You may give her a call" Hana said. 

"I'm sorry but the Vice-President's schedule is packed at the moment. She has forbidden us from letting anyone in due to the influx of girls who have come to see her" the receptionist said. 

Hana chuckled as she looked at her secretary who was less than amused. He was really close to murdering the girl however he kept it in as he didn't want to embarass Hana. 

"I have never been categorised as a my whole life. Yet, I am being called one of her flings. Jesus. What has the world become?" Hana said. 

"I would have to ask you to step away. Do you have any idea who you are talking to? She isn't someone that the likes of you can talk to simply. My lady here is the Executive Director of Kang Conglomerates, Kang Hana and not some peasant. If you wish to keep your career and your family safe then you will apologise and move out of the way" Joo Hyuk said coldly. 

The receptionist froze in shock. Joo Hyuk then took out his phone and called someone. After a few exchanges, he ended the call. Within a few minutes, the Vice-President's private secretary, Kim Jin Woo appeared and bowed. 

"I'm very sorry for the hold up, Miss Hana. The Vice-President is waiting for you" Jin Woo said. 

"Not a problem. Oh! Do keep your receptionists updated on the few young executives or else she will make the same mistake she did today. I just cannot imagine what the other executives would do" Hana said with a smile however her tone said differently.

The receptionist bowed her head in shame and fear. She felt chills going down her spine when she heard Hana speaking. Hana walked away following Jin Woo who ushered her into the elevators. They arrived on the 50th floor as the elevator doors opened. Jin Woo lead Hana down an art filled hallway. Most of the paintings were modern art pieces that Hana recognised from a recent art show that she had been invited too in London. They stopped in front of a pair of double doors. Jin Woo knocked and opened the door allowing Hana to walk in before him. The first thing she saw was a blonde girl. She had round rimmed glasses on as she fiddled with her pen. Jin Woo cleared his throat earning the blonde girl's attention. 

"Maam, Kang Conglomerates Executive Director, Miss Kang Hana is here to see you" Jin Woo said. 

The blonde girl waved her hand. Jin Woo understood as he bowed and left the room. 

"Well, well. Look what the cat dragged in!" the blonde girl said teasingly. 

"It's been a while, Lalisa" Hana said as she made herself comfortable on the chair. 

"Rude. I'm older than you. You're missing your honorifics" Lisa said taking a seat opposite Hana.

Lalisa Manoban was the Vice-President of Manoban Group, the top construction group in the world. 

"Well, you have to act your age if you want to be referred to as unnie" Hana said. 

"Tsk. 4 years has passed and you're still the old savage and rude girl that I met. Tell me, what brings the great Kang Hana to my office today?" Lisa asked. 

"I need your help" Hana said. 

"Oh! Now you've caught my attention. I thought there is nothing the world's business genius cannot do" Lisa said. 

"Of course, there are some things I cannot do. I'm not God" Hana said.

"Fine, tell me what do you need?" Lisa asked. 

"I have been eyeing a piece of land in Busan for a long time now. A few years ago, I tried to get the old lady who owns the land to sell it but she refused. However this time, she has willingly put the land up for sale through a tender. In order for me to win it, I need your help because for whatever the reason is, she hates my guts. If she sees two of the world's top groups working together, she may be lenient towards us" Hana said. 

Lisa stayed silent for a while as she leaned back against the chair. 

"What's in it for me if the deal succeeds? I may be your friend but I am also a businesswoman, Hana" Lisa said with a glint in her eyes. 

"I knew you would say that. 20% of the profit is yours. The resort that I am building there will be done as a joint agreement between both our companies" Hana said. 

Lisa shook her head and said "I was thinking more of a 50% profit. If you are planning to use my company's resources, that is". 

"50% is a bit too far fetches. How about 40%?" Hana asked.

"45%" Lisa countered. 

"Sorry, Lisa unnie. 40% is as high as it gets. Take it or leave it" Hana said/ 

Lisa chuckled and said "Very well. 40% it is. We have a deal". 

"Good. I will have my side write up a contract and have it prepped to sign within this week" Hana said. 

"A resort" Lisa said. 

"Yeah. I have been planning ever since I set my eyes on that piece of land. A prime spot. Close to the beach. The town centre is 15 minutes away. During the peak season, the resort will be packed with both tourists and local residents. They will be rushing to see the new attractions that I have planned out" Hana said. 

"There goes your business side again" Lisa said. 

"I can't help it" Hana said. 

She looked at her watch that read 4.30 p.m. She got up from the couch

"Well, I must be going now. It was good to see you again. I look forward to working with you" Hana said as she shook Lisa's hand. 

"It was good seeing you too, kiddo" Lisa said.

As Hana was approaching the door, she stopped. 

"Oh! Lisa unnie, brush up on your seducing skills. You are going to need it soon enough" Hana said laughing. 

"Yah! Kang Hana. I'm not going to seduce an old grandma. I have standards" Lisa said angrily. 

Hana continued laughing as she left Lisa's office.