Chapter 3

Promise of the Past

Hana walked to her own work table and was going through her reports when she saw someone standing in front of her. She looked up and saw Dahyun who was smiling creepily at her. 

"Dahyun. What are you doing? Don't you have work to do?" Hana asked.

"Nothing. It's just we can all see that you love Mina unnie. Why do you hide it?" Dahyun asked. 

Hana's eyes widened. Thank God, Hana's table was a far from Mina's. 

"Dahyun, enough. Not now" Hana said softly as she looked around to see if anyone had heard Dahyun. 

"Babe, Hana's right. Let's talk about this later on" Chaeyoung said. 

Chaeyoung sat beside Hana and overheard Dahyun and Hana talking. She knew Hana didn't like people prying into her business so she stopped Dahyun from going any further. 

"Fine" Dahyun said as she walked back to her place. 

Hana thanked Chaeyoung who simply nodded in response. Hana then got up from her seat and carried a few files in her hands as she walked into Jihyo's office. Before entering, she knocked and received a response as she entered and saw Jihyo buried in stacks of files and papers. She walked to Jihyo's table and laid out the files in front of the older girl. 

"The first file on your right is the approval for the punishments that requires your signature. The middle file is my report on the discipline case. The last file is witness statements that I thought you might want to read" Hana explained professionally.

Jihyo nodded and said "I understand. Give me some time to look through it". 

Hana bowed and left Jihyo's office as she headed back to her place. The first bell rang as Jihyo came out of her office. 

"It's time to head to classes, everyone" Jihyo said. 

They obeyed Jihyo as they headed out of the council room and split up. Hana, Tzuyu, Chaeyoung and Dahyun got into the elevator and stopped on the second floor. Mina, Jihyo, Nayeon, Jeongyeon, Momo and Sana headed for the third floor. The 4 youngest members were walking together towards their class, 2-1 which was considered the best class. Only 16 students were eligible to enter class 2-1 every year. Those lucky enough to be chosen were in the same class as the Princesses making them the most envied people in school. As they ruled the school, they were allowed to skip classes as they wished however despite missing classes, they were still the smartest in school. Their total scores were too high for even the students in their class to beat.

As they were walking towards their class, they were stopped by students who screamed. Hana was slowly getting annoyed so she snapped her fingers which shushed the crowd as they continued walking into their classroom. They walked in and took their regular seats by the window ignoring the rest of the class and the crowds that gathered outside their class to get a glimpse of them. 

"Don't they get tired of doing this every day?" Hana said annoyed at all of the noise.

"With all this attention and screaming every day, it's getting quite tiring. After all this while, you would think we would be used to it by now" Tzuyu said.

"What's up with all the comments? Marry me, Dahyun. Date me, Tzuyu. Cute cub, Chaeyoung. Beautiful Ice Princess Hana. When was there ever a doubt in my beauty? There is no need for them to confirm what is already so obvious" Hana sassed. 

The three shook their heads at Hana's narcissism. 

She's still as confident as ever. Chaeyoung whispered silently.

How her narcissism has increased over the years still astounds me. Tzuyu whispered silently. 

The other two nodded in agreement. Hana turned to glare at the three of them as they stilled. 

"I can hear you" Hana said.

"Well, they find a need to gain our favours, Hana. They look at us as if we are opportunities to climb the social ladder. If not for our family's status in the world and our backgrounds, they won't even bother to look in our direction. That is the greed of the human world" Tzuyu said. 

Hana gripped her fists and said angrily "Yes. The human greed knows no bounds. It is exactly why I hate these kind of people. They torture others to get what they want and when they are done, they throw them away like rag dolls. Unaware of the consequences and the trauma that they inflict upon the victim". 

Tzuyu, Dahyun and Chaeyoung looked at Hana sadly. They couldn't begin to fathom what Hana had gone through as a child. The teacher interrupted their talk when she walked into the class. She started to teach but Hana was in no mood to study Shakespeare. She had read and studied just about every shakespeare books in advance and she was fluent in the english having studied it as a child. She allowed herself to be pulled into the past. 

Flashback (10 years ago)

8 years old Hana was sitting alone in the school's yard. She sat below a century old Oak Tree and leaned with her back against the tree. She liked being alone far from the hustle and bustle of the school. In her hands was an original copy of Pride and Prejudice, a classic book by famed author Jane Austen. She was reading a book that girls her age had trouble understanding due to the complexity in terms of words and plot. Hana was constantly alone because nobody dared to befriend her due to her hostile nature and her family's overpowering status and power. Everyone including the teachers treaded carefully around her in fear of angering the young heiress. That would mean the end of their careers and their life. Hana on the other hand was still recovering from the incident that scarred her from the previous year. Because of what happened, she had obtained a trauma so bad that it nearly killed her several times. 

Hana was enjoying the silence until a certain girl disrupted her. She looked to the side and saw a brunette leaning her head against the tree trunk. No one in their right mind would dare to disturb Hana and yet this girl so brazenly did. 

"What are you doing?" Hana asked coldly. 

The brunette opened her eyes and looked at Hana innocently. 

"It's nice and quiet here. The school is far too noisy with all the other students crowding around me" the brunette said. 

Hana looked away and ignored the brunette. She had learned the hard way that everyone couldn't be trusted. However the brunette came back every day for the past week until Hana got used to the brunette being there. Hana couldn't rid herself of her curiousity.

"Are you not afraid of me?" Hana asked. 

"Why should I be? I don't know you. You certainly do not look scary enough for me to be afraid of you" the brunette. 

Hana was dumbfounded. Everyone knew her. Her face was painted on just about every tabloids page and unless you live under a rock or have been cut out of civilization, you would know her. Yet here there was someone who claimed to not know her. 

"That's impossible. Everyone in this school and the whole world knows me" Hana said though she sounded a bit conceited.

"I just transferred into this school a week ago. Plus, I don't bother myself with the world's tabloids. Where are my manners? My name is Myoui Mina" the brunette introduced herself.

Hana knew exactly who the brunette was. At least she knew who the Myoui family were. They owned the famed and powerful Myoui Banking Group. The Myoui family was as poweful as Hana's own family. Despite her age, Hana had been groomed to be an heiress hence the fancy parties and lectures on top families in the world. 

"It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Hana. Kang Hana" Hana said. 

Hana didn't know why but she felt herself being pulled towards Mina. She had promised herself that she wouldn't trust anyone but herself and yet here she was trusting another. Ever since that day, Mina and Hana had always stuck together. They were never far apart from each other. Along the way, Hana found herself trusting more and more people. They had grown up to be her best friends and the only people that she had trusted. Years past since then, Hana found herself falling for Mina. The girl's heart would flutter at the sight of Mina. Just being beside Mina made her happy. Compliments from Mina and small gestures would fill Hana's stomach with butterflies. She was sure that she had fallen for her best friend but she would never confessed. Because she knew all she was in Mina's eyes was a little sister. 

End