Flight

Apocalypse

“We are setting up camp-” 

The one talking took a considerable time twirling her red marker over the map that is laid on the ground. 

“Here” She said, planting the uncapped marker on the spot she has chosen.

Jennie just stared at the growing red dot as the paper willingly drank the ink. The sun has barely set and Jennie felt like she could use some more sleep.

They are sitting in a circle except her who is right behind them. They look like long armed and long legged silhouettes to her because of the sun and her position on the ground.  She's lying down on her side.

She cleared and all three heads turned to her direction.

Jennie sat up her head suddenly woozy.

“Can someone tell me why is there a need to tie me up? I already know Yang sent you on the same mission with us.”

“Because we haven’t forgiven you yet. Attacking Rosé like that.”  The one holding the marker replied.

“It’s not my fault that she’s a target, I was just in line with the mission. I did not know that as a Perfect One, she’s an exception.”

“Well, I figured that out. Sorry for being too rude, my name is Jisoo.”

She extended her hand which Jennie did not take because of the said predicament involving tough ropes.

“Oh, right, right.”

Jisoo reached into her inner pocket and pulled out an all too familiar dagger, before she cut her loose she scanned her with a handheld device that beeped twice.

“Hm, Lisa wasn’t wrong, you are really one of the Felines, but I can’t point out the Saurian in you, maybe your skills with this dragonhead blade will prove it, but we’re not having it because we’re a team and we will be civilized around here.”

Jisoo said putting more stress on the word civilized which irritated Jennie more than the fact that this girl has some inside info.

“Wait, what did you just say? The part where you did not say I’m feral, why does a complete stranger know about my ancestry more than my toes know about my ear?” 

“It’s because of the profile about you that president Yang gave me.” Lisa answered for Jisoo.

“You, we had a deal. Remember?” She glared at Lisa.

“Yes, I remember Jennie Kim, but as Jisoo would put it, we all are in something like a predikerfuffle.” 

“That’s not a word.”
Jisoo interrupted.

“But I believe there is some irregularity, I just can’t seem to arrive at a conclusion yet. That is why it is important that we work as a team right now.”

“If something is amiss here, I no longer want to be part of it. I am a lone hunter and I hunt solo.”

Jennie snatched her dagger from Jisoo.

She stood up and rubbed her wrist, some of the rope they used to tie her with are still connected to the cord that is fastened around her ankles.

She bent down to slash it with her claws, to which nothing happened. She tried it again, gave up and used her dagger instead. 

She turned to the three of them.

“What did you just do to me? Why can’t I change?”  

    “We used my suppressants to you so you won’t do anything funny, don’t worry it’ll wear off after a day or two.”

Lisa said nonchalantly that it riles her.

With a frustrated sigh, Jennie made her way to the group and threw her dagger to the ground.

“Okay, I’m not gonna do anything remotely fu-“  

At the same moment Jisoo’s handheld scanner hooted an urgent series of beeps.

With one swoop a flying thing snatched Jennie from the ground it’s large claws digging into her torso. The more she squirms the tighter it gets.

An airborne.

It had silent bat wings, Jennie did not notice with her dulled senses from the suppressant they gave her.

She can’t even change.

Why is it here?

She felt the air get thinner as the airborne took her higher. The lesser the oxygen the lighter her head gets.

Jennie Kim, you did not get this far just to be an airborne snack. 

She twisted her legs that dangled freely in the air, and with the motion she managed to rotate upside down. 

Now she could see the ground getting closer at an alarming speed.

Airbornes are known to smash their prey on hard rocks or cliff faces so that their food would be more agreeable.

The dizzying speed of the descent made it harder for Jennie to think but she did not dare close her eyes.

If she’s going to die she’ll meet death's glare with her eyes open.