Focus

Apocalypse

            Her mother told her once that the key to success is focus. She tried with all her might to do just that, but the girl she’s with is distraction incarnate.

 

Focus, focus Jennie. Disruptions are there not to destroy you but to make you stronger. Disruptions are there not t-

“What are you doing?” Lisa interrupted.

 

“I’m trying to concentrate!” Jennie half yelled half growled at her.

 

“Okay.” Lisa shrugged. 

“Dunno how the hell you could do that with this weather.” Indicating the howling wind.

 

“Don’t know how I could, with you around.” Came her caustic reply. 

 

She’s not usually this irritable.

 

Lisa just smirked to her agitation. 

“Kitty, you need not try so hard to concentrate, I’m here, you’ll see why I’m the best tracker.” 

 

        Both of them are on top of a communication tower, the highest point they could get and Jennie resisted the urge to push this annoying person just to wipe that cocky grin from her beautiful face. 

 

Wait. 

 

Did she just call someone as infuriating as this one, beautiful?

 

She really was trying to concentrate, trying to recognize the scents that the fast wind is bringing. Their assignment the Perfect Ones, according to the description, are especially strong. 

Strength and power Jennie could smell traces of it in the wind, it’s not like any normal scent that gets dispersed with altitude. 

It goes up and up, as if going back to the cosmos where everything came from. She listens and the wind whispers its secrets to her. 

 

The lilac, this calming scent issuing from the girl she’s with goes to the forefront of her mind whenever she tries to discern hints of what she’s looking for from the wind. 

 

It’s not just Lisa’s demeanor that exasperates her. 

 

The power she gives off is unstable, the wavering surges of her strength had struck her as odd from the first time they’ve met until that moment in the dark containing area. 

 

It is somehow cancelling her ability to detect things the way that she’s used to and that disconcerts her. What she feels oscillates like her shifting iris and she blames Lisa. 

 

“That’s a curious thing you do with your eyes.” Lisa says suddenly moving closer to her, staring right into her eyes. 

 

Jennie turned away, like she can’t bear another second of it. Why had she agreed to this whole thing that Yang has asked her of? 

With a huff Jennie jumped from her perch, spared Lisa a glare and began her descent in swift sure movements. Lisa’s amused laughter rang after her. 

 

The sun climbed down with them, setting to shine on another side of the world her rays less cruel than earlier, the orange glow illuminating the higher parts of the buildings brighter. Tinging the smoggy skies with her bleeding colors as the slow clouds lazily rolls.

 Quick footsteps broke the idle atmosphere, the staccato of their boots on the pavement resounded against the empty walls of the passage they are in when Lisa abruptly stopped. Jennie almost barged into her if it weren’t for her quick reflexes.

 

Jennie was about to fault Lisa for bringing them there, say that her tracking abilities are way off, but the undeniable scent of a Perfect One made her dark pupils dilate. 

 

“Lisa!” A voice called from right across them, the person is walking the length of the sunlit  way, but her back is against the light making her face indiscernible. Is it her? Jennie thought, her senses telling her that the one they’re hunting is extremely close.

 

“Jisooo!” Lisa ed, as the figure got closer. No not her, the other one. Another person trailed after the first. Half a second and Jennie has already launched forward in an attack, her dagger drawn.