Black

Apocalypse

The tension laden air, felt especially heavy today. She could taste a tangy expectation hanging over the dark clouds Lisa could see from her apartment window.

Lisa hit dial on her phone for a hundredth time. It connected, surprising.

“Jisoo? Where have you been all this time? Why aren't you picking up your phone? What are you doing now?”  The explosion of questions came from the tangles of worry in her stomach. She pulled down the blinds in her room and made sure she had the windows locked.

 

“I picked up didn't I? Geez so crabby early in the morning, you sound like a naggy wife.” Came the sleepy reply. “What do you want? Did you get some rest?”

 

“I’m sorry, it's just urgent and I was up all night.”

 

“Calm your if you have any, okay tell me I'm all ears” Jisoo said, wakefulness seeping into the voice from the speaker.

 

“I'll have to come over before I tell you. It's not safe over the phone.” The last part came in a hushed tone.

 

“I'll disable the traps for you so you won't get your hair fried like last time.” Jisoo said with a snort.

“And don't worry, everything is fine.”

 

Lisa calmed down a bit and breathed out “Okay I'll see you in an hour.” She answered while grabbing the folder and her duffel bag where she stashed the raw suppressant she stole from the men the day before.

 

“Lisa, before you come I have someone with me. She's skittish so approach with caution.” Jisoo warned.

 

“Oh, you got a pet?”

 

“No, she's human, kinda. You'll meet her later.”

 

“Woah, woah, you got a girlfriend and you haven't told me about it? Is that why you weren't taking my calls? Jisoo, I'm shaking my head right now just so you know.”

 

“No she's not my girlfriend either, my phone was on silent okay- ah she's awake. I'll see you later Lisa-ya.”

With that Jisoo ended the call which astounded Lisa. Wow, just what kind of girl is she that made Jisoo this way? She wondered. She glanced at the bedside clock, 5:00 AM. She has little time left, she'll meet with Krunk in 3 hours. The suppressant should be ready if Jisoo’s could be of any use and work faster.

 

Lisa is changing she could feel it in her system, that is what she needs the suppressant for. If the company would get an inkling about it she's dead meat or maybe become a lab-rat of some kind. Her stomach knotted,she grabbed the cold meal from her refrigerator and everything perishable from it, she might be away for a long time. She got out of her apartment and went down. Taking the stairs two steps at a time. Leaving the same scuffs on the wooden steps, the other steps remained the same state as it was installed the first time. She caught her reflection on the mirror beside her main door. She looks like hell, she doesn't look like the every day Lisa, not at all. She sighed at the sight of the dark circles under her eyes, making them look larger than it already is. She gave her bangs a brush with her fingers.

“To whatever Deity is out there, have mercy.”

She whispered when she opened the door and went out. She'll have to get something she left beyond the wall before going to Jisoo’s place.

She boarded the bus heading to the NorthWest. Her actual destination is actually the part of the wall where she broke the camera but she wouldn't risk it. She got off the bus five stops earlier.

She tightened her bag straps and vaulted over a fence. Swinging her body effortlessly under the bar that holds the fence together. Leaving a ringing sound in her wake when she let go of her grip and launched herself to the hanging ladder on the side of the closest building. Her arms and legs rhythmic and graceful as they carried her weight over rungs, over walls and barricades. She ran on her toes on the edges of high buildings. For the length of the time she's moving with the wind whipping her hair, she's free and unchained. The fetters and stigma from her own work as an officer forgotten. The change in her does not bother her because she just couldn't care. Only the balance in her core, and the tempo of her feet is real. She avoided places where there could be people hanging around, it's still too early, the sun just five fingers up from the horizon. Lisa listened to her steady breathing she caught sight of the wall where the still-broken camera hanging lifeless on the topmost part. She scaled it again and traced the same rocks she climbed the day before. She stirred up a little cloud of dust when she landed on her feet on the other side.

Not ten steps to her destination she already sensed a presence following her every move. Instinct telling her to turn her head when the little hairs on her nape prickled, her gaze travelled up the trunk of a tree and there on the lowest branch stood a girl around her age, her eyes met another that reminded her of a cat. They suspiciously stared at each other. Gauging how to react to another. Lisa felt like she's frozen and pinned down by the girl’s scrutiny, but at the same time curious. Lisa's eyes widened when she realized the girl is wearing an all too familiar black hoodie with her favorite constellation on the front.

“That's mine.” Lisa said, almost too loudly that nearby small birds fluttered away.

The silent cat girl, still on her perch did not reply, but only looked down at the oversized hoodie she had on.  The fractured silence, like heavy lead covered them again. Undisturbed. Languid feline eyes continued to observe her. Lisa let out a breath  moving with blinding speed toward the tree, reached up and vaulted up to the branch. Face to face with the girl.

“You look even more stunning up close” Lisa said with a toothy smile. The girl looked surprised but Lisa felt something prick the side of her neck. The vision was a blur but Lisa caught sight of the dragon head on the dagger’s hilt that's in the hand of the other girl. “Saurian-

Her world started turning black around the edges, a dark vignette for the girl's faint smile as she watches Lisa fall down the ground her consciousness slipping away.