Stuck Forever

More Like Me: Bits and Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

ONE YEAR LATER.

RING RING RING

Jessica looked at her phone and a smile carved on her face instantly. She quickly stood up from the chair and answered the call.

“Baby.” She smiled.

“Please tell me again why I have to do this.” The person whined softly.

“You are doing this because you love me.” Jessica responded as she stared outside the window of her hotel room in Perth. “And I love you so so much for doing this for me.” She added.

“Babeeee..” Sooyoung whined softly.

“You can do this Soo. We’ve gone through this last night.”

“Okay but you owe me. You owe me big time.”

“Whatever you want babe, or whatever you want me to do. I am yours, in 2 days’ time okay.”

“I miss you.” Sooyoung mumbled softly.

“I miss you very much more. Just a bit more okay.” Jessica smiled.

She was actually on an 8days’ business trip to Perth, Australia. As much as she wanted to skip the business outing, she just couldn’t because it was an important one. Over the past 6months, ever since Mr Jung decided to retire, she had been tasked to attend a lot of business trips inside and outside the country. Life had been busier than ever since she was now the CEO of the bank.

Sooyoung would come along if her schedules permitted her to do so. But lately, a lot was also on the plate for her. The moment her powerhouse girlfriend was made the CEO, she was also being assigned to take a bigger role in the bank to provide more support towards the bank’s management team. She was no longer a Team Manager, considering her 6years experience in the Call Center, she was made CBS’s General Manager of Customer Service.

***

“We are here today for the launching of the very first Korea Agency of Vegan Certification and Services. And representing the President of Korea’s Vegan Association, we have Ms Choi Sooyoung to officiate the ceremony.” The host announced. Sooyoung stood up from her seat and nervously made her way onstage. 

“Hi Good morning everyone.” Sooyoung started her speech. “With the launch of this service to provide accreditation to vegan products, Korea has certainly progressing its way to be at the same level as the other pioneer countries. Getting the approval for this was not easy. Through the hard work of the association, we’ve done it. We’ve been approved as the country’s first vegan certification agency. That itself is an achievement. But our work doesn’t stop here. We have partnered up with Korea Tourism Organization in launching Vegan Box to showcase the diversity of our cuisine and inspire future travel to South Korea.” There was a loud applause coming from the crowd as soon as that was announced.

“In line with this achievement, we are working hard to provide certification services to other areas as well and of course spreading the positivity of the vegan culture. The only way for us is to grow and grow and I can assure you this will only give boost to the Korean vegan industry. So, on behalf of the President of Korea’s Vegan Association Ms Jessica Jung, it is with great honor that I am here to officiate the opening of the agency.” Sooyoung smiled widely. Louder applause from the crowd after Sooyoung ended her speech.

Sooyoung went down from the stage and made her way back to her seat. “What the did I just say?” She turned to look at the person next to her.

“The things you just said was a testament of love:” Tiffany smiled widely and softly patted the girl’s back.

“Oh god, kill me now.” Sooyoung let out a long deep sigh.

After the event that lasted for 2hours, both of them were inside the car heading back to the bank with Tiffany driving. “Seriously, if ever there is a Chicken Organization, I would be offended as hell if I’m not selected as the President.” Sooyoung mumbled as she was looking at the Vegan Hamper that they received as a token of appreciation.

Tiffany just laughed over the remarks. “Sooyoung, you were brilliant just now! Ms Jessica would be so prouddd! And, I am also so so proud of you. The past few months you have been really exceptional.” Tiffany smiled.

“I don’t know about exceptional; I’m losing my mind that’s for sure.” Sooyoung replied back. “Remember when you first got the Team Manager role? It was hard in the beginning, right?” Tiffany was trying to comfort the girl. “But see how you managed to pull that through? After a year plus of managing the team, overcoming all the struggles, and you won the best team manager award.” She added. “And here you are stepping in for the CEO.” She continued again.

“You know the reason why I have to step in for her.”

“You should know by now that she doesn’t easily trust people. And she trusts you wholeheartedly.”

“Is this the part where you are trying to make me be all positive?” Sooyoung turned to look at the woman.

“Yes.” Tiffany nodded her head. “Is it working?” She then asked.

“A tiny bit.” Sooyoung mumbled. “It would work a lot more if we were having chicken right now.” Sooyoung sighed.

“Then, let’s go have chicken.” Tiffany smiled as she made a turn towards the nearest chicken place.

“Do we still have time? I thought there’s another meeting that I need to step in for her in like 15mins.” Sooyoung mumbled innocently.

“No Sooyoung. We cancelled the meeting knowing that you would need a breather after the event just now.”

“Thank you for thinking about me. I badly need a breather.” Sooyoung pouted.

‘THEN LET’S GO HAVE CHICKENNNNNNNN!”  Tiffany exclaimed excitedly.

After eating chicken with Tiffany the great, they went back to the office as she had another 2 back-to-back meetings being lined up during the second half of the day before she could call it a day. Before going home, she decided to visit her previous agents aka her friends down at her old level. 

*DING

She went out of the lift and saw Yuri, Hyo and Luna were in a deep discussion over a case. “Anything that I can help you guys with?” She greeted them from behind with a smile.

“CHOI SOOYOUNGGGGG!” The three ladies jumped in for a group hug with their ex team manager.

“I miss you guyssssssss.” Sooyoung smiled. It had been 6 months since she had to let go of the team.

“Oh my god Soo, when was the last time we have actually seen youuuuu??” Yuri whined.

“I know. I should have come down and visit everyone sooner. I have been so occupied with so many things. I am so so sorry.” Sooyoung apologized.

“Aish, you don’t have to be sorry. We know how crazy busy you are, now that you are among the level 5 people.” Hyoyeon said.

“Believe me, I may be seated at level 5 but my mind is somewhere else. Everything in my life for the past 6months have been crazy.” Sooyoung looked at her ex agents. “But seeing you guys right now make me feel so much better.” She smiled.

“So, how’s things?” Sooyoung asked as she took a chair and sat near to the girls. “Please tell me it is still the same as how I left the team.” She added.

“Yes Sooyoung. Things are stable just like how you left it.” Luna smiled. “I am sure you have heard that we are now the first auto pilot team in the bank.” Yuri smiled. Auto pilot team is when a team doesn’t require a supervision by a Team Manager. They were all reporting straight to the head of department which was Seohyun.

“Of course, I knew because I approved it.” Sooyoung smiled. “All these couldn’t have happened without all the effort that you guys have been putting in.” Sooyoung said happily.

“Remember when we were still answering calls 2 years ago??” Hyoyeon asked and everyone shared a laugh. “Remember when I said ‘ You’ to Sunny?” Sooyoung added before they laughed again.

“Why don’t you go visit her.. Her office is just at the end of this floor.” Hyoyeon then suggested.

“No thank you.” Sooyoung shook her head. “It has been a blessed 6months without having the need to deal with her.” Sooyoung said.

“With whom?” Suddenly they heard a voice coming from behind them. Of course, Sooyoung knew right away who the person was.

“Whyyyy does this always happens to meeee” Sooyoung whispered softly to the ladies before she turned to look at the woman. Yuri, Hyoyeon and Lune were all trying to hold their laughter.

“Hi Sunny.” Sooyoung faked a smile.

“Look who it is. The newly promoted General Manager of Customer Service.” She said with a tone that to Sooyoung sounded like sarcasm.

“Yes.” Sooyoung smiled. “It’s been awhile since I last saw you.” Sooyoung said as she was trying to be nice.

“Hm I saw you last week in the quarterly review meeting for all the departments but I guess I am too low of a rank now for you to notice me.” She said.

“I guess so too.” Sooyoung blurted out with a straight face. Of course, she noticed the woman. How could she not? The woman had always been an attention seeker. Sooyoung could still remember during the meeting where Sunny was trying so hard to get the attention of the newly promoted CEO.

“Our CEO has been abroad for almost a week. Why aren’t you with her?” Sunny went on to ask.

“Well, I have stuff to do as well.” Sooyoung responded.

“Such a pity. I thought you have broken up.”

“I bet you really want that to happen right?” Sooyoung asked back sarcastically.

“You know me too well Choi Sooyoung. I don’t know it’s just weird to me that you guys are still not yet married. Doesn’t it tell you something about the relationship?” She asked in an unpleasant tone.

“Marriage is not something for you to rush into.” Suddenly Hyoyeon felt the urge to cover for her boss.

“But if you know you have met that one true person, why wait right? Especially when that person is someone like Ms Jung. In case if you haven’t realized it yet, she’s the talk of the town. Oh well, something for you to think about.” Sunny said again in her utmost unpleasant tone. “I better get going then.” She added with a smile before she walked away from them and headed back to the Corporate Banking area which was at the end of the floor.

Sooyoung then turned to look at her friends the moment the woman left. “Kill me now please.” She said.

“Is she in love with your girlfriend or what?” Yuri asked with a frown.

“Like everyone isn’t.” Hyoyeon responded with a laugh. “But Soo, please don’t take it to heart. She’s just a jealous .”

“Thanks Hyo.” Sooyoung forced a smile.

“Is she really that annoying?” Luna went on to ask. She didn’t know Sunny too well, only from the stories she heard.

“She was way worst when she was the contact center team manager.” Yuri answered. “The only person who’s brave enough to answer her back was none other than our Choi Sooyoung here.” She added.

Sooyoung just laughed over the remarks. “Well, let me tell you something, she’s not worth it. Please don’t go against her because you’ll end up yourself in PIP and also not a good reason to have HR breathing down your neck.” Sooyoung spoke based on her own experience.

“What are you saying boss?? It was totally worth it! Sooyoung once got Sunny suspended from work for 3 months!!” Yuri exclaimed oh so proudly.

“Oh my god. I have new found respect for you now Soo.” Luna said in disbelief.

“Please don’t Luna.” Sooyoung laughed.

It was indeed a stress reliever to be able to hang with her friends again after such a long time. They went on to talk about so many things and even had dinner together at their favorite cheap chicken place. Second chicken meal of the day for her. It was really a good day, not always she got to eat chicken that many in a day.

Sooyoung reached home around 10.30PM and she was planning to just go straight to bed. The apartment suite had been quite since Jessica was not around and it stressed her even more. A few days ago, Mrs Jung did invite her over to sleep with them next door but Sooyoung politely declined.

Sooyoung went for a quick shower, then she landed herself on the bed. She looked at her phone and saw there were multiple missed calls from Jessica. So, she decided to video call the woman. It was a bit easier to communicate since Perth was just an hour earlier than Seoul.

RING RING

“Hey..” Sooyoung greeted her girlfriend that was also on the bed doing a bit of work.

“Baby.. I tried calling you just now.” Jessica softly whined.

“Sorry, I was driving when you called. Hm why are you still working?” Sooyoung asked. She could see her girlfriend was wearing a loose tank top

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter