Song Woo Bin: Not Like the Rest

Vulnerable Heart One-shots

Why hadn’t he seen it from the beginning. Maybe he had but he did not want to face his emotion. Maybe it was the way she smiled, or the way she would look at him that made Woo Bin love here. They’d spent most of their early childhood together and he had talked himself into believing that these feelings were simply friendship.

“Do you feel this way towards Jan Di? Jae Hee?... Seo Hyun?”

 

The answer to his own question was always the same. “No.” The truth was always something that Woo Bin didn’t want to admit.

“Relax. You’ll be fine.” Ji Hoo spoke to Woo Bin patting him on the back while he paced outside the small chapel. Today was his wedding day. He couldn’t really believe he was doing this, much less knowing how upset his parents would be that they were not invited.

 

Woo Bin would worry about that later. For now, what he wanted to think about was Jae Kyung. If he were to think about the exact moment that he fell in love with her maybe it was the moment that they had met. However, there was always more to things. From an earlier age Woo Bin knew that he would marry Jae Kyung whether he loved her or not.

 

Like Geum Jan Di and Goo Jun Pyo’s marriage this was a merger of business. It was the way that people in their social circle lived. From the moment Woo Bin met Jae Kyung he knew that his parents were marrying him with her. The idea that he had to marry someone which was chosen for him not by him made Woo Bin angry.

 

He was never upset at Jae Kyung, that would be unfair of him. He couldn’t be like Goo Jun Pyo who after being angry finally gave in because he loved Geum Jan Di. Woo Bin didn’t want to accept something that he couldn’t agree with.

 

It was ironic that someone with his status, that had power and could control society to a certain extent simply because his family had money could not do with his life what he wanted.

 

“I refuse to marry Jae Kyung!” Woo Bin shouted angrily at his parents.

Once again they had brought up the engagement to Woo Bin. Though Woo Bin cared for Jae Kyung he would not comply with what they wished for him to do.

“Woo Bin that’s enough. You’ll do as we say. We are your parents.” His father spoke, his tone cold.
“What happened to making my own decisions?”

“You’ve proven that isn’t possible. Do you think we don’t know about the endless parade of women you bring to your bed?” His father spoke outraged.

 

Woo Bin couldn’t much argue with what his father was saying as this was true. After all, one doesn’t acquire the name of Don Juan from acting like a proper gentleman, when it comes to women. Smirking Woo Bin looked at his father coldly.

“Then you should no nothing will change once I marry Jae Kyung.” His words were met by gasps from his mother and the outrage his father expressed manifested itself by a slap which collided with is cheek.

“Yobo!” His mother cried to her husband, trying to calm him down.

 

Woo Bin expected his father outrage and his mother’s disappointment at his words. However, what he had not expected was for Jae Kyung to be there. He didn’t know when it was that she arrived there, he didn’t know she was supposed to be there. He was glad that her parents had not been invited however.

“Jae Kyung I..”
“Excuse me.” Jae Kyung spoke politely to his parents before walking out.

 

During that time, Woo Bin had wanted to go after her. However, because he didn’t want his parents to think too much of it he simply let it go and told himself that he would apologize later. That chance came the following Monday at school.

 

It was early morning; the halls were busy with Shinwa students who were trying to rush to class. As always Woo Bin found Jae Kyung at her locker. It was one of the few times that Jae Kyung seemed to be without Geum Jan Di. Since her relationship with Goo Jun Pyo had become official they seemed to want to spend a lot more time together.

 

The sound of the late bell sounded and before long it was just Woo Bin and Jae Kyung alone in the empty hallway.

“Hey.” Woo Bin spoke awkwardly. Jae Kyung who was often bubbly and cheerful offered Woo Bin a fleeting glance and a wry smile.

“Hey.” She whispered back to him closing her locker.

“Look about this weekend.”
“You don’t need to explain yourself to me.” Jae Kyung spoke, shaking her head and trying to walk away.

“Jae Kyung.” Woo Bin spoke, grabbing on to her arm.

 

There was a feeling inside his chest which would not leave him. It was a feeling of having his heart squeezed to a prune. There was something in her eyes which told Woo Bin that she was done with him.

“Please. Let me talk.”
“I think I heard enough.” Jae Kyung spoke to him fighting back tears.

“Jae Kyung I..”
“I’ve always known that you were against this marriage. I’ve never fought you on anything because I respect your decision. We’re only fifteen and we’ve been given something like this to handle. I care about you Woo Bin. You’re my best friend and until a few days ago I didn’t realize how much you hate me.”
“Hate? Jae Kyung… I don’t hate you… I”
“Yes you do.” Jae Kyung spoke tears falling from her eyes.

“I thought we were friends and I thought you cared about me maybe you don’t love me but I hoped that you…”
“Jae Kyung.”
“I can’t do this anymore.”
“Jae Kyung. I’m sorry. I was just... trying to get a rise out of my father and I wanted him to cancel the engagement you know I.”

 

There was a look of anger and disbelief in Jae Kyung’s eyes while she ran her hands through her hair.

“He won’t cancel it you know that. Our parents have made this merger a very long time ago. I care about you and somehow I thought… you would one day love me like I love you.”

Hearing Jae Kyung’s words to him caused Woo Bin to freeze. There was a sensation in his heart which continued to manifest itself in an indescribable pain which he had not felt before.

“Jae Kyung. You know I care about you…”
“But you don’t love me. I tried to push myself to stop feeling this knowing you’ve only ever seen me as a friend. I’ve never said anything in regards to your life and what you do. Even when your actions were killing me.” Jae Kyung spoke a sob escaping her lips.

 

Woo Bin watched in pain as Jae Kyung tried to collect herself, knowing he had done this to her.

“I’ve cancelled the engagement myself” Jae Kyung said.

“I spoke to my parents. They’re… not happy about it but I’ve put my foot down and… I’m taking care of it. You don’t have to worry about me anymore.”
“Jae Kyung… I don’t want to lose you I.”
“I can’t be your friend. I know it’s selfish but I can’t be your friend. I don’t want to be your friend and you can’t offer me what I want either… It’s best if you and I don’t see each other anymore… At least until I can sort out my feelings and… forget. But for now I can’t offer you friendship.” With those words Jae Kyung walked away, leaving Woo Bin feeling empty.

 

The next few days consisted of Woo Bin trying to talk to Jae Kyung while she would avoid him. Woo Bin wasn’t aware of what was going on that was until Jan Di approached him on Thursday. He was caught off guard when he was slammed against a locker rather harshly.

“Why did you have to break the engagement of with Jae Kyung. Do you know how much she loved you!” Jan Di spoke in anger.

“Jan Di. Calm down.” Goo Jun Pyo spoke, though he dares not try to forcibly remove Geum Jan Di from Woo Bin.

“I’m not going to calm down until I beat this bastard to a bloody pulp!” Geum Jan Di spoke, angrily pushing Woo Bin again.

“Jan Di. Enough.” Ji Hoo spoke calmly.

“Why should I stop? Because of him Jae Kyung is now engaged to someone else.”

Jan Di’s words caused everyone to freeze. Woo Bin couldn’t explain the feeling at the pit of his stomach, nor the pain that hit his chest.

“What?... to who?” Woo Bin found himself saying.

“That doesn’t matter. It’s done and there’s nothing to do anymore. What you should know is that after the school year is over Jae Kyung will be leaving to Thailand. Her fiancé is studying there and their families have agreed that it would be best that she join him. She’s leaving and it’s all your fault.” Jan Di spoke pushing Woo Bin one last time before walking away.

 

Woo Bin doesn’t remember how it was that he found himself at Jae Kyung’s door the next moment. Only that before he realized he was standing outside her home. He’d wanted to knock on her door but what would he say to her? What if it was her parents that would open the door? Woo Bin doesn’t know how long he spent standing outside and trying to sort his head and the confusing feelings he was yet to come to terms with.

 

There was sound of a car coming close which startled Woo Bin, who immediately hid when he saw a red sports car park in front of Jae Kyung’s home. There was a man who got out of the car. He was tall, he wore a dark navy suit, and his hair was perfectly done in a professional manner. From single glance one could tell that this guy was a few years older than him. There was confident look on his face as he went around the car to open the passenger seat.

 

It was then that Woo Bin saw Jae Kyung step out of that person’s car. She was in a beautiful short red dress, and though her eyes expressed a great sadness, that caused Woo Bin to feel guilty, when that man kissed her hand to say good bye she forced herself to smile. Woo Bin waits until the car has pulled away to walk up. His intent is to speak first but it is Jae Kyung who does so.

“Why are you here?” She questions, her voice without any feeling as she looks back at him with a blank expression, which makes a knot in Woo Bin’s throat.

“I just… who is he?” Woo Bin questioned.

“That’s not your problem”
“Jae Kyung” Woo Bin spoke, holding on to Jae Kyung’s arm when she tried to leave.

“Who is he?”
“Hyun Shik.”
“Why did you let-“
“Did I have a choice?” Jae Kyung spoke cutting him off and looking at Woo Bin through her tears.

“Jae Kyung… I..”
“You wanted a way out of this and I’ve given it to you. Now please…. Just leave me alone.” Jae Kyung spoke, a sob escaping her lips as she pushed past Woo Bin and headed inside her house.

 

To say that the next few days were hell was an understatement. Woo Bin doesn’t remember sleeping, he doesn’t remember functioning much at all. He spent the next few days wallowing in self pity that he brought upon himself. His friends had to go pick him up from a bar because he was unable to walk. His father hadn’t been very happy with him because of this that he was unable to go out with friends.

 

The semester wasn’t much better. Jae Kyung avoided him at all cost and every day for the next few months he would see gifts being brought to Jae Kyung. Some gifts were expensive, such as jewelry, sometimes she received roses, bears, clothes. People were already gossiping and wondering who it was that Jae Kyung was seeing. In the past few months, leading up to Jae Kyung’s leave Woo Bin had finally admitted what he did not want to say to himself. He loved Jae Kyung.

 

From the moment he met her, until now, there was no other women whom he loved like Jae Kyung. It was the way she was, how she would smile. The way her eyes would sparkle and how fearless she seemed of life and loved. She wasn’t afraid to be who she was and say what she felt. She was someone whom Woo Bin had always trusted, someone who had cared for him and loved him without wanting anything back from him.

There weren’t many people in his life whom he knew were real people around him. Jae Kyung had been one of them. But now, he had ruined it all and there was nothing that he could do.

“You’re not going after her?” Jan Di questioned the day that Jae Kyung would leave to Thailand.

“I don’t know what you’re”
“Still pretending not to love Jae Kyung?” Jan Di spoke outraged.

“You know. I don’t know what my cousin sees in you. You sleep with countless of women, you are immature, you don’t treat her right and despite all that she loves you.”
“Loved.” Woo Bin thought to himself, not realizing he’d spoken out loud. Of course, he knew he didn’t deserve someone like Jae Kyung. It was why he never wanted to marry her. Maybe it also had to do with his rebellious side. He didn’t want to be told who to love and what to do with his life. At the time loving Jae Kyung to him represented something that Woo Bin did not want.

 

To him choosing Jae Kyung meant that he was giving in to his parents. But was that really all it was? He loved Jae Kyung for such a long time and for as long as he could remember he’d tried pushing past these feelings. Sleeping with endless women to try and forget her (Something which he had not done since Jae Kyung cancelled their engagement.)

 

Jae Kyung, had never really dated anyone or, seemed remotely interested in someone. Deep down Woo Bin always knew that Jae Kyung loved him. It was her actions and the way she looked at him which gave away her feelings. Instead of treating Jae Kyung the way she deserved he’d treated her like a doormat.

“I have no right to chase her.” Woo Bin spoke quietly.

“You’re a bigger idiot then Goo Jun Pyo!” Jan Di snapped at him.

“Goo Jun Pyo may be brash and volatile, and he might not know how to express himself properly all the time but he’s not afraid to go after what he wants when it comes to love.”
“Is it really love? You two are arranged by your parents. Even if you didn’t love one another you’d still have to get married.”
“But that is what makes things more precious. Can’t you see that?” Jan Di asks. Woo Bin can only offer a look of confusion back.

“Don’t you see how lucky you are. We live in a society like this. Even when we have so much power we don’t get to make out own choices because they’ve been made for us. Sometimes I do wonder what would happen had I not been born with money. Would I still be with Goo Jun Pyo? Would his parents accept me? Would Goo Jun Pyo even look my way?...Woo Bin. Love is a special this that not everyone is lucky enough to have. But when you have it, when you find it you don’t let it go. Stop thinking about everyone else and just think about what you want. If you love Jae Kyung go after her. Regardless of anything else you’ve found that needle in the haystack so why are you throwing it away?”
 

For a few moments, Woo Bin doesn’t know what to say. He knows that Geum Jan Di is right. He’d been so occupied with defying something that he should have embraced a long time ago. Geum Jan Di was right. His parents could have made a different decision. He could have been arranged to be with someone else but, he’d been lucky enough to have someone like Jae Kyung at his side. He’d been lucky to have Jae Kyung love him back. Making his decision he intended to leave. Jan Di simply watched him go with a smile on her face.

 

There was too much traffic. There seemed to be some sort of car accident which held up cars a lot. Jae Kyung’s flight would leave exactly at 12 and Woo Bin was desperate to reach her. However, by the time he reached the airport Jae Kyung’s flight had taken off. He had been too late… His heart sunk and truly broke. He’d lost her. He’d been so stupid to ever let her go in the first place and now Jae Kyung was gone.

“Woo Bin.”

 

Shocked and Surprised Woo Bin turned to see Jae Kyung standing there with her luggage in hand. He didn’t know what to say or how to start. Going to Jae Kyung, unable to believe that she was really there he simply embraced her in a tight hug.

“I’m sorry. I know I’ve been such an idiot.” Grabbing her face in his hands Woo Bin looked at Jae Kyung who had tears in her eyes.

“Jae Kyung. I love you and I’m sorry for being such an idiot. But I promise I won’t let you go again.” Smiling Jae Kyung looked back at Woo Bin.

“I know. I love you too.”

 

That had felt like such a long time ago. While back then things felt overly complicated things weren’t like that. It was easy to be in a relationship with Jae Kyung, it was easier to love her. Woo Bin had tried to stay away from her but if he had learned something from back then it was how hard it was to live without Jae Kyung. Woo Bin didn’t care about what his parents wanted or what Jae Kyung’s parents wished. This wedding was simple, just for the two of them and without the pressure of their parents or society. Woo Bin was sure their parents would be furious but hell... he wouldn’t want it any other way. As he stood in front of the isle the moment Jae Kyung walked down to him in her beautiful wedding dress Woo Bin offered a smile. This was it… all that mattered to him and he was never going to let her go.