Geum Jan Di: Only Choice

Vulnerable Heart One-shots

It was the night before the wedding. Guests had already arrived for the rehearsal dinner. Geum Jan Di could feel her heart racing. Looking at herself in a non-typical tight red dress she sighed. Wedding preparations had been exhausting. There was so much to do when it came to guests, what venue they would be using, music, invitations, everything down to napkins etc.

 

Geum Jan Di finally understood why Jae Kyung had eloped with Woo Bin. It was easier. More than once this had crossed her mind. Goo Jun Pyo, on the other hand, thought differently. He was one to indulge in the bigger better things. He’d offered to have someone take care of all the preparations for her and while Jan Di had been glad her mother and Goo Jun Pyo’s mother, had not been so happy. In the end, Jan Di had planned this wedding after all. Looking down at the ring on her finger Jan Di smiled.

 

She didn’t like this big fancy wedding but she could endure it simply because she loved Goo Jun Pyo. They had met as children; their starting point was rocky. There were many fights, mainly all due to their immaturity and hot headedness. She remembers the way Goo Jun Pyo asked her out and laughed.

 

She was fourteen. Her feelings for Goo Jun Pyo at the time were a lot more unclear. For the most part, Jan Di found herself arguing with him. Gone were the days where Goo Jun Pyo and her would pull each other’s hair out, scratch and bite one another. The last time it had happened was when they were children. Jan Di still frowns when she remembers that Goo Jun Pyo had dare cut her hair. It had taken her Jan Di a while for her to be able to grow her hair back but she’d done so again. Looking at herself in the mirror with her Shinwa school uniform Geum Jan Di wanted to scream.

 

She’d argued not only with her parents but with Goo Jun Pyo’s parents as well. The topic of arranged marriage had once again come up. Since she was a child, Geum Jan Di had always known she would marry Goo Jun Pyo. Jan Di felt trapped. While part of her had this feeling in her heart which she could not describe for him. This feeling that caused her heart to race, butterflies in her stomach, there was also fear. She felt as though she was not allowed to chose whom she would love.

“Love and marriage are two separate things.” Mrs. Goo had said to her after she’d exploded that evening during dinner.

“Why do we not get to choose?” Jan Di shouted angrily.

“People of our status do not love, we merge. Companies become stronger.”
“Money. All you care about is money! What about what I want. Doesn’t Goo Jun Pyo himself have a say in this!”

 

In that moment she had turned to Goo Jun Pyo hoping that he’d agree with her. What she was met with was silence. In her race Geum Jan Di had flung her dinner plate at him. His head, clothes and body were completely covered in the soup.

“Why do you chose now to keep your mouth Shut! You don’t want this just as much as I do!” Geum Jan Di had shouted before rushing to her room.

 

It was how she’d ended up staring at herself in the mirror with scissors in her hands. Clutching them tightly she considered what she was about to do. This person whom she was looking at she hated. From the moment she became a teenager her mother made sure that she wore makeup, he hair was beautiful and long. She was no longer allowed to spend as much time as she used to with the F4 boys. Even her time spent with Goo Jun Pyo was now scheduled.

 

Dates meant dinner at fancy restaurants. Going to events with their parents. She was tired of it all. What would her life be like had she been a normal girl?

“What are you doing?” Goo Jun Pyo questioned coming into her room. This caused Geum Jan Di to glare at him and she had half a mind to fling the scissors in her hand at him. Instead, she opted for the pillow which he caught. He was in a pair of old sweatpants and a hoodie she was sure belonged to her father from a time where he was still young.

“Do you know how to knock.” She snapped at him.

“You want to talk to me about manners? This coming from the person who flung her dinner at me.” Goo Jun Pyo snapped back which only pissed Geum Jan Di off more.

“Why can’t you yell at me like that in front of them!” She snapped.

“You object to this just as much as I do. You go on and on about not wanting to marry me why did you not speak up!”

 

Goo Jun Pyo didn’t reply simply leaned against the door with a bored look on his face.

“We don’t have a choice. You don’t have a choice. Your other options include Woo Bin, Il Hyun, Yi Jeong, or Ji Hoo. But then again Woo Bin is arranged for your cousin. Il Hyun and Yi Jeong… well. My parents wouldn’t allow Jae Hee to marry Il Hyun and I don’t think your parents would want to merge with the So’s. Ji Hoo… he’s too in love with Seo Hyun to agree to anything. Which leaves me.” There was a cocky expression in Goo Jun Pyo’s eyes which only served to piss off Geum Jan Di.

“You hate me! We hate each other! Why would you want to marry me!”
“I don’t” Goo Jun Pyo corrected quickly, Jan Di’s heart squeezed oddly at his words though she masked it quickly.

“Then we agree and I’m leaving.” Jan Di spoke walking to her closet and grabbing a pair of sweat pants, an old gray hoodie and her gym sneakers.

“Where are you going?”
“On a date and I don’t want you in here when I come back out” She snapped heading inside her bathroom to change.

 

Jan Di took her time changing she wanted Goo Jun Pyo to leave her alone. She was relieved to see that Goo Jun Pyo was out of her room. Her plan was simply to climb out of her bedroom window using a makeshift rope she had created in order to sneak out. She was careful to lock her room and turn the lights off in her room. She knew her mother would give her an earful in the morning but she did not care. Taking a deep breath, she climbed out of her bedroom.

“You really did it.” Startled Geum Jan Di practically fell into Goo Jun Pyo’s arms as he glared at her.

“What are you doing? You scared me! Let me go!” Geum Jan Di snapped hitting Goo Jun Pyo on the chest with her fist harshly until he let go of her waist.

 

With a single glare and a huff Geum Jan Di dusted herself off and tried to head out only to be stopped by Goo Jun Pyo.

“The gates are closed. How do you plan to get out.”
“I have the key.” Geum Jan Di spoke pressing a remote which opened the large gate.

 

She was sure that her parents never noticed. Their mansion was big and unless they checked the cameras she wouldn’t be in trouble that much.

“Don’t follow me.” She spoke to Goo Jun Pyo once she was on the street and Goo Jun Pyo walked beside her. He didn’t say anything to her, nor did he stop walking beside her. As frustrated as Jan Di felt in that moment she did not allow herself to be angry.

 

What she needed in that moment was to relax and try to forget. They walked in silence for the next fifteen minutes.

“How childish. You’re going on a date here.” Goo Jun Pyo spoke as they stood in front of a large ice cream shop. Glaring and raising her fist up at Goo Jun Pyo, Geum Jan Di then walked inside.

 

Heading to the counter, glad there was no line she proceeded to ask for strawberry ice cream.

“Green tea.” Goo Jun Pyo spoke. Though Geum Jan Di felt her annoyance increase she allowed Goo Jun Pyo to stay with her when she sat on a table and began to eat her ice cream.
“No date.” Goo Jun Pyo concluded. His voice caused Geum Jan Di to glare at him once more, but otherwise, she said nothing and continued to eat humming softly.

“Why did you lie?” Goo Jun Pyo asked once more.

“I just wanted to go out. Even if I had to go by myself.” She spoke. She didn’t know why she was saying this to him or why she wanted to tell him more.

“So what are you planning? A date on your own?” Goo Jun Pyo spoke mockingly.

“What if I am?”
“What do you have planned?”
“A movie, the mall, a park. I don’t know.”
“How childish.”

 

Standing up Geum Jan Di screamed her intention was to throw her ice cream on Goo Jun Pyo but upon gaining the attention of the people inside the shop and watching Goo Jun Pyo flinch she simply walked out of the shop.

“Yah! Geum Jan Di!” Goo Jun Pyo yelled after all, walking out of the ice cream shop with her. Grabbing her hand to stop her he was met with hits which he took but refused to let go of her.

“Where are you going?”
“You can go home or leave me alone.” She snapped.

“I can take you to a better place.”
“No.” She spoke ignoring him and heading to a movie theatre that was closest to them.

 

The only screening however, was for a horror movie.

“Are you sure?” Goo Jun Pyo questioned.

Geum Jan Di did not answer, instead, she headed inside, buying popcorn, candy and a large drink. She found herself smiling while walking into the theatre.

“You could have just come to my theatre.”
“It’s not the same. I told you. I want normal things. Tell me. Do you have fun when we’re in some expensive restaurant? Around other people at parties with bring business people?” Geum Jan Di questioned whispering quietly, simply glad the movie had not started yet.

“It’s business.”
“Exactly. I can bare business. It’s part of our life but I want romance. Don’t we deserve to fall in love and be happy as well? Why can’t we have both?”

 

Before Goo Jun Pyo could answer the movie began. The next two hours consisted of screaming, hugging and a lot of shushing coming from the people around them. Geum Jan Di didn’t have the time to yell at Goo Jun Pyo for being such a baby, considering she herself was scared out of her wits. When she got home she was sure she would sleep with all her light on too afraid of the ghost from the movie. Any popcorn was spilled on the ground within the first fifteen minutes. Her drink was left untouched and if she had to classify what this date was other than horrible she would not be able to answer.

 

By the time the movie was over she was glad to leave the theatre.

“This was your idea of a fun date!” Goo Jun Pyo snapped.

“I’d rather have pins for eyes!”
“Stick pins in my eyes.” Geum Jan Di snapped.

“Whatever.” Goo Jun Pyo spoke with a shrug.

 

They headed home in silence after that. Geum Jan Di wasn’t happy, but she was also not disappointed. They stopped at the main gate and Geum Jan Di simply scoffed at Goo Jun Pyo and tried to head inside. However, Goo Jun Pyo stopped her.

“Do you really want to know why I can’t object to this arrangement?”

Before Geum Jan Di could answer Goo Jun Pyo had placed a kiss on her lips. It was chaste, warm and soft. It took a moment for Geum Jan Di to react.

 

She’d thought that in any situation. Should she ever be robbed of a kiss, her first kiss at that. She would hit that person. For the second time in her life she was once again stunned into silence by Goo Jun Pyo.

“I’ve only ever looked at you. I’ve only ever thought of you. There’s no need to look for anyone else. I like you.”

“W-what?” Geum Jan Di managed to stutter out. Goo Jun Pyo smirked.

“Have you ever looked at someone else?” Goo Jun Pyo questioned.

 

Once again Geum Jan Di remained silent. It was then that Goo Jun Pyo moved forward again. This time Geum Jan Di backed away causing Goo Jun Pyo to smirk once more when she hit the gate.

“I’ll hit you if you kiss me again” She threatened. Goo Jun Pyo simply moved forward and pecked her on the lips once again. When he moved away he simply glared at her pointing at her.

“You are going to marry me. If you dare date someone else, I’ll kill you!” With those words he walked away from her.

“Yah! Goo Jun Pyo! Didn’t you say I was ugly! I said I want a normal romance! How can I date you!” Geum Jan Di yelled Goo Jun Pyo simply shrugged and coolly waved.

“I’m going to kill you tomorrow Goo Jun Pyo! You’re dead!” She yelled until he was out of sight. It was only after she was left standing alone that she realized her heart was still racing and her lips were still tingling.

 

Smiling to herself Geum Jan Di shook her head. They’d never been a normal couple. Goo Jun Pyo tried and while they went out and had the type of fun she wanted it was always at Goo Jun Pyo’s style. Dates at the mall included Goo Jun Pyo buying her things she did not want. They had trips to places all over the world. Dates to the theatre was something she liked, but Goo Jun Pyo made sure they were always alone. Back then, she had already loved him without realizing it. Much like he had said she had only ever looked at him. They were still the same arguing with each other, yelling at one another. Attending all the things she hated but there were so many changes. With time, they learned how to be sweet with one another. Loving each other, that had been easy, they always had loved one another even when they did not know how to express it.

 

Geum Jan Di now felt silly for ever doubting their relationship. She was thankful for it. There was a knock on her door before Goo Jun Pyo walked in. He stayed by the door much like he had years ago. Only this time he smiled at her, his eyes were filled with love. The years had made them more mature, their love much stronger.

“You knocked.” She wanted to say. But of course, he had done so after that night.

“You look beautiful.” Goo Jun Pyo spoke causing Geum Jan Di to smile at him.

“I hate it.” She told him, watching her reflection. Smiling at her, Goo Jun Pyo walked to her wrapping his arms around her waist.

“Bare it a little more. After tomorrow we’re done with all this.”
“Hardly.” Geum Jan Di spoke rolling her eyes.

“Maybe. But it won’t be as hard. They’ll be moments like this always.” Goo Jun Pyo spoke and Geum Jan Di knew he was talking about the pretense. Socializing was part of their world. They had to endure so much fake but yet… thinking of Goo Jun Pyo beside her didn’t make it feel so bad anymore.

“And moments like these.” He spoke kissing her cheek.

“You’re being to cheesy” She snapped causing him to laugh.

“I’m going to cut it again.”
“It’s been a while since you had it short.” Goo Jun Pyo spoke to her.

“Do I have to wear make-up?”
“Long hair, short hair, make up, no make-up you’re still beautiful.”

 

Geum Jan Di thought of the past. Back then when she’d gotten home she had cut her hair, stopped wearing makeup, and heels, and bought comfortable boots. It had shocked everyone but Goo Jun Pyo.

“You look ugly again. Good.” He’d said to her. It had caused a small fight but Geum Jan Di knew what he had meant. She was herself again and she’d known as well that he did not see her as someone who was ugly.

“Are you happy? About us?” Goo Jun Pyo questioned.

“Is Goo Jun Pyo feeling insecure?” Geum Jan Di teased causing him to scoff. Even so Geum Jan Di laughed and gave him a chaste kiss on the cheek.

 

Looking at herself in the mirror she wondered about her life. What it would have been like had she been a normal girl just like Ga Eul and Ariel. Would she have fallen in love with Goo Jun Pyo? Would she have ever met him?”
“What?” Goo Jun Pyo questioned when he saw a sad look cross Geum Jan Di’s eyes.

“Just wondering. What it would have been like had I been a commoner. Just like Ga Eul and Ariel.”
“My mother would never approve of you.” Goo Jun Pyo spoke a statement which she knew to be true.

“Even so. I know we’d meet... Our life would have been more difficult. Even so, I would have still made you marry me. In this life I have only ever looked at you and even if it were different even if you were poor I would not have cared. I would still choose you.”