Jae Ha: First Love and Friendships

Vulnerable Heart One-shots

The beach was cold. The smell of water and the taste of salt lingered on his lips ad Jae Ha watched the waves crash against one another. It would be dark soon, the night was slowly starting to come in and with it the air grew stiffer. He’d already started a fire a few feet away from the water, making sure that tonight they would be warm if only by the flame.

 

It had been so long since they would meet like this. All three of them. How long had it been? Five years. Smiling to himself Jae Ha recalled the last time they’d been here. Back then they’d had not realized it but they’d all had one another in their heart at one point or the other…. Ga Eul, whom he had grown up with had loved him at one point.

 

Jae Ha knew. Whether it was the way Ga Eul blushed or the way she would look at him from time to time that made it obvious. He would like to think that he wasn’t so when it came to liking Ariel… and Ariel. Back then... before that person, Jae Ha wanted to believe he’d had a chance.

 

When Ariel had come into their lives Jae Ha was instantly love struck. She was beautiful, with her honey colored eyes and chestnut colored hair. She would always smile brightly when she was happy, and it was quite easy to tell what she was feeling if you only looked at her eyes.

 

Back then he’d liked to think that had she never met that person, then maybe they could have been. However, the truth was that Ariel had always seen him as just a friend. She who was always so innocent never did see him as anything more. He supposed now, he wasn’t what she needed in her life.

 

If there was anything that Jae Ha regretted with Ariel as someone that had liked her and as a friend it was the fact that he could never protect here. Whether it was from the glares, the gossip, or the bullying. It seemed as though he was always too late. Jae Ha remembers the first time it happened as if it were just yesterday.

 

It was during the beginning of gym when it happened. Jae Ha was in the middle of changing into his gym clothes when Ga Eul came barging into the the boys’ locker in tears, and bruises.

“Oppa! You have to help Ariel please!” Ga Eul begged though her tears while falling to the floor, knees scrapped and bloodied.

“What happened?” Jae Ha asked alarmed, quickly putting on his shirt. The boys around him were already whispering and looking at them both curiously.

“It’s Ariel. They’re beating her… in the middle of the basketball court.”
 

Heart pounding Jae Ha ran out of the locker room out of the school building and headed to the schools’ basketball courts outside. Jae Ha expected to see a crowd of people, much like he saw whenever there was a fight. What he saw however, broke his heart and angered him. Ariel was on the floor struggling to get up and covered in bruises, scrapes, and cuts.

“Ariel!” Jae Ha yelled rushing to her and picking her up in his arms.

“Ariel!” Ga Eul spoke panting.

“Call an ambulance.” Jae Ha spoke.

“I’m fine. I’m fine” Ariel whispered weakly.

“Let go of me.” She continued to say.

“Let’s at least take you to the nurse. You’re all beat up.” Ga Eul spoke through her tears.

 

Even though she was in pain, Ariel still managed to smile.

“I’m fine. I can walk.” Ariel spoke pushing herself away from Jae Ha and struggling to stand.

“Ariel please.” Ga Eul pleaded, while she helped her stand as did Jae Ha.

“You two shouldn’t be seen with me. Can’t you see?” Ariel questioned.

 

Both Jae Ha and Ga Eul had been too distracted to see what was left on the ground. There were dozens of papers on the floor all with words that told Ariel to go kill herself.

“If you’re my friend I’ll only cause trouble.”
“We’re not leaving you alone.” Ga Eul spoke up first.

“You should. We just became friends… there’s still time for.”
“No. We like you. We’re not going to leave you alone.” Jae Ha spoke.

 

Tears fell from Ariel’s eyes and it was Jae Ha who wiped away her tears.

“We’re your friends. We’re not going to leave you. We’ll stick up for you. We don’t care what others have to say about you.”
“You’re different but hat doesn’t mean it’s wrong. We’ll stick by you because we care about you and we know you’d do it for us.” Ga Eul spoke with a smile, though tears fell from her eyes as she did so.

 

Back then they had been just freshmen in high school They’d met Ariel over the summer and had liked her. At the time Jae Ha didn’t think the bullying would be that bad. But just like that time, there had been many more like it. Times where Ariel would come home beaten up and bruised.

 

Jae Ha always felt inadequate to take care of her. No matter how hard he tried to protect Ariel he was always too late. Maybe it was bad timing, maybe it was bad luck. No matter what in the end Jae Ha always looked like a bad friend. As the years went on his courage to one day pursue Ariel vanished. He felt he had no right to be with Ariel when he couldn’t protect her. He lost all hope when he heard Ariel speak of New York.

 

Ariel’s eyes would always light up and Jae Ha could tell that she had high hopes. It was made clear to him then that there would be no room in her heart for anyone. She had never seen him as anything more than her friend. Ariel never talked about being in love or falling in love with someone, then of course she met him. Yoon Ji Hoo.

 

For a long time, Jae Ha wondered what would happen between them. To anyone that clearly looked at them it was obvious that Ji Hoo and Ariel deeply cared for one another. Jae Ha would lie if he said he was not hurt at how easily Ariel fell for someone in just a few short months.

 

Ji Hoo had managed to do what Jae Ha had not been able to. He was able to get Ariel to love him in a way that Jae Ha had not managed to do. Ji Hoo was able to make Ariel forget about someone that may or may not exist. More than that, Ji Hoo was able to protect Ariel from harm.

 

That day at school was just a simple show of power, which Jae Ha thought was nothing. It was the fact that Ji Hoo himself had been there holding her hand the look in his eyes angry, possessive and daring anyone to ever lay a hand on Ariel again. It was a clear threat, that he would protect Ariel no matter what…and he had.

 

From the moment they met Ji Hoo had protected Ariel. She would tell him and Ga Eul stories of Ji Hoo protecting her, saving her. There was an admiration and adoration in Ariel’s eyes that had never been giving to anyone but Ji Hoo. Jae Ha was sure that Ji Hoo was in love with Ariel, simply because of the bouts of jealousy expressed when he was around her.

 

To some extent Jae Ha knew that Ariel was in love with Ji Hoo as well. Jae Ha was unsure about what would be of them, by then of course he’d lost hope of ever being looked at by Ariel the same was she looked at Ji Hoo. But that did not mean it didn’t hurt to see Ji Hoo kiss Ariel that night. She’d been asleep and Ji Hoo had been bold enough to steal a kiss from her. There was a look in his eyes as if Ariel was the most precious thing in the world to him.

 

At the time Jae Ha had been both jealous and angry. Jealous at the fact that this man had kissed Ariel. Angry, that he had dared to do so when Ariel was asleep. In the end, he’d taken Ariel away and given her no explanation. For a while. Jae Ha did not want to admit to himself that Ariel loved this person back. Then of course, he saw it. Another kiss.

 

Rushing to the hospital Jae Ha kept beating himself up about being so blind. How could he not know that Ariel was hurt? She’d been smiling and spending time with him for his birthday. He’d been blinded by happiness and had not noticed. Once again, it had been Ji Hoo who had noticed and taken care of her. It had also been Ji Hoo who had called him to inform him of the incident.

“Ariel Lee. What room is she in?” Jae Ha questioned the nurse at the front desk

“12F, Fourth floor.”

 

His mind was reeling, he wanted to apologize to Ariel for not being a better friend. At the same time, he was angry over the fact that she had kept this from him in order to celebrate his birthday which now was insignificant. All he really cared about was her.

 

His intention was to go into the room but he stopped when he saw Ji Hoo inside. He’d only opened the door a few inches and was not seen. Ariel was sleeping soundly on the bed. Ji Hoo was beside her, sitting on a chair, holding Ariel’s hand.

 

There’s was that look in his eyes which Jae Ha recognized as love and care. Jae Ha observed Ji Hoo silently and wondered if he would have the guts to confess. Would Ariel accept? Jae Ha watched as Ji Hoo reached out his free hand to gently caress Ariel’s cheek, his thumb her bottom lip.

“He’s going to steal a kiss from her again.” Jae Ha thought frowning.

 

He was about to go in then planning on stopping Ji Hoo when Ariel groaned softly. Jae Ha quietly watched from the small door opening as Ji Hoo quickly let go of her hand and grabbed a book that was close to him. However, he quickly threw that ruse away when Ariel tried to sit up. “Lay back down. Your fever is still quite high. Just go back to sleep.” Ji Hoo spoke, though his face was expressionless, much like it always was the tone he used towards Ariel was quite gentle.

 

“What happened?” Ariel questioned

“You dislocated your shoulder.” Ji Hoo explained to her.
“My parents.” She began.

“I’ve already called them. They’re already here.”
“Then.”
“Something happened with Yi Jeong’s parents.”

 

Before Ji Hoo could finish explaining Ariel was already trying to spring herself out of bed but Ji Hoo simply stopped her by flicking her on the forehead.

“You’re still sick. Your mother asked that I keep and eye on you for now.” Ji Hoo explained calmly.

“But..”
“There’s nothing you can do.” Ji Hoo spoke to her sternly. His tone leaving no room for arguments. In the end Ariel, simply pouted but gave in something she usually never did for anyone.

 

“Yi Jeong hates others in his business. I’ve already informed F4 of the situation. They’ll keep their distance until Yi Jeong calls us. We don’t want to push him right now or he’ll go back to the condition he was previously in.” Ji Hoo explained.

“But.”
“I know you’re his family. But you have to rest. As I said, your fever is still quite high.” Ji Hoo spoke trying to settle Ariel back on the hospital bed.

“He’s too close.” Jae Ha thought while looking at them. Ji Hoo was leaning over Ariel, hovering above her and looking down at her.

 

Jae Ha’s heart clenched watching as they both gazed into each other’s eyes for a bit too long, having no trace of time. His heart stopped when he watched Ji Hoo move closer to Ariel. Jae Ha looked away, knowing they would kiss.

“Don’t worry. I’ve already called Ga Eul and your boyfriend.” Ji Hoo spoke. Ji Hoo’s words seemed to confuse Ariel, but this was something Jae Ha understood. Part of him wanted to laugh, realizing his meddling had worked to some extent, how Ji Hoo would handle this was completely and simply up to him.

 

Jae Ha watched as Ji Hoo moved away from Ariel, only for her to hold on to his arm.

“Boyfriend? What boyfriend. I don’t have a boyfriend...Sempai. Is that why you’ve been avoiding me? Do you think Jae Ha is my boyfriend?” Jae Ha’s heart clenched and broke when
he heard Ariel laugh

“I just… It would be strange and wrong to spend so much time with a person that… what am I saying. We’re friends none of that matters if we’re only friends.”

“Well. He really is just a friend. Jae Ha is more like an older brother.” Ariel continued.

Jae Ha knew Ariel meant no harm with her words but it as it was clear to him that Ariel saw him as only a friend, maybe even a brother but never would he ben in her heart the way he wanted too.

Listening to Ji Hoo tell Ariel he too only saw her as a friend, watching the pain in Ariel’s eyes made it clear to him more than ever that she really loved him.

 

“Just… keep resting.” Ji Hoo continued

“I’m not very sleepy.” Ariel asked looking at the book Ji Hoo had in his hands.

“Edgar Allan Poe.”
“Can you sit here?” Ariel spoke to Ji Hoo, who did not hesitate and simply sat beside Ariel on the small bed. Though his posture was rigid and nervous.
“Relax. You’re at times a bit robotic and awkward when you’re beside me. We’re friends are we not Sempai? You should relax around me too.” Ariel spoke innocently.

“Will Yi Jeong be alright? I worry about them.” Ariel continued’

 

The continued to talk for some time with Jae Ha simply listening, he didn’t know why he continued to stay but he did.

“I think it’s quite sad when people that love each other can’t be together. Don’t you think so?... I really want them to end up together. We’re all routing for them…I believe they can love each other more than anyone else will be able to love them. Don’t you think?” Ariel’s questions were met by silence and Jae Ha watched as Ariel smiled, looking down at Ji Hoo who had fallen asleep. The look in her eyes was quite obvious…love

“Carrying me must have tired you out Sempai. I’m sorry and thank you. For looking out for me.” Just like that Jae Ha watched as Ariel pressed a soft kiss to the corner of Ji Hoo’s lips.

 

That was the moment, it became clear to him. Ariel was in love. There was no turning back, he had to let her go. Looking out into the ocean he sighs. Back then he had been so heartbroken and did not think that there would ever be a chance at love. Then of course… the was Luna.

 

She was like a second chance and a first beginning. She was shy, innocent, but she was kind. He didn’t know when it was that he began to fall in love with her. When he finally did realize that he was in love there was no looking back. She made him happy and the love which he one day had for Ariel did not hold a candle to this kind of love. True love that he had with Luna.

 

“Jae Ha!”
Hearing Ga Eul and Ariel call his name he turned and smiled at them. Both girls carried a basket in their hands. Rushing over he helped them offering them both smiles.

“I’m glad your back.” Jae Ha spoke offering Ariel a smile.

“Thanks. I’m glad to be back. We’re the three musketeers again aren’t we?” She spoke with a smile.

Yes.