Robert Soo: Nothing Like Me

Vulnerable Heart One-shots

Laughter filled the hallway inside a small home. A young girl and a small boy ran in a circle together playing tag amongst one another. Mr. Soo watched as his eldest granddaughter Minji who was five laughed while her three-year-old Minseok brother followed after laughing happily. Mr. Soo watched from the sidelines his granddaughter Minji was just like her kind hearted mother and Mr. Soo’s daughter in law Ga Eul. The child had big brown eyes, a kind face and a smile that was hard to say no to. She would break many hearts when she grew up. Minseok… it was hard for Mr. Soo to look at him often times. He was just like his father; his son, Yi Jeong. Much like Yi Jeong, Minseok had a boyish smile that would later turn into a charming smile as he grew older, he had dark hair and his features were all around Yi Jeong.

“Grandpa!”

 

Minji’s voice was the first things that brought him out of his train of thought, soon after the small child jumped on his lap hugging his neck tightly. Minseok followed after, his sister helping him climb up on Mr. Soo’s wheelchair.

“You’re here grandpa.” Minji spoke happily.

“It’s your birthday. Grandpa wouldn’t miss it.”
“Grandma Annabelle and Grandpa Anderson aren’t here yet.” Minji pouted.

 

Hearing his grandchildren call his brother and sister in law their grandparents made Mr. Soo feel guilty. There was also an odd feeling when he first heard both of his children refer to Annabelle and Anderson and mom and dad. In the past, he had been so arrogant. He supposed being in this wheelchair for a decade was his punishment. He’d caused his ex-wife and children a great pain. He was unsure of what became of her. He never had the courage to ask either of his children or his wife’s brother what happened to her. From what he had overheard once she was off somewhere finding herself, though she was yet to contact either of their children.

 

He supposed, traveling alone and trying to find herself was what best for her. He was glad for her. What he was not, was sorry. He did not hate her, nor did her blame her for crippling him, or taking away his hands which now had scarred. While he had maintained feeling in them, it would take him a new life, maybe even more, for him to ever mold clay again. He understood, that he had been wrong to disgrace, and shame his ex-wife in such a way. However, what he would never forgive her for was killing him by taking away the person whom he’d loved.

 

Her name had been Chaewon. She had been a beautiful artist and woman and Madeline had ruined them. It might have been a long time ago but Mr. Soo still loved that one person even when she had moved on. He supposed in a twisted way it was also something he should bare, much like he had had his ex-wife do for him. This was a story which he had never shared with either of his children.

 

“Grandpa. Candy.” Minseok asked stretching his hand out to his grandfather, already looking though Mr. Soo’s shirt pocket and smiling when he found four lollypops. Handing one to his sister and taking another for himself.

“These are for Daehyun and Jiwon.” Minji spoke to her grandfather smiling happily and placing the two other lollipops back in her grandfathers’ pocket. Daehyun and Jiwon were Il Hyun and Jae Hee’s children. Daehyun was Il Hyun’s eldest son who was now six and Ji Won was three.

 

Thinking about both of his sons Mr. Soo realized that they had done a much better job than he ever had. Il Hyun still had his coffee shop but he’d added several chains to it and was a very successful business man. Yi Jeong, was able tot get back his skills as a potter and was the best potter in Korea, though he did not still run the Soo business.

 

Ten years ago, when the accident happened he had been a proud man. He refused to acknowledge that his children were right. He never did anything for them. He didn’t blame them for resenting him. He’d been unapologetic to either of his children and felt no guilt until those words from both Il Hyun and Yi Jeong.

“…We would have preferred love over riches. Even if we were as poor as we would have been with them. We wouldn’t have lacked what we needed...”
“Mother, father, and brother has always been Il Hyun.. You’ll always be our parents but never our mother and father.”

 

Mr. Soo didn’t know what that meant until later. He realized that he’d never given his children anything that had been worth a good memory, or affection that would ever be reciprocated. It was only after his accident when he could no longer move his legs or work pottery did he begin to think of his children. Yi Jeong more than Il Hyun. He thought about what had happened to Yi Jeong because of him. He’d had an affair with a mob bossed wife and it was his son whom had dealt with the consequences. His mistake had almost cost his son his hands and it wasn’t until his own accident when he could no longer mold clay that he understood Yi Jeong’s frustration.

 

Without knowing it he’d sentenced his own son to a life that he himself hated to live. He always said that Yi Jeong was like him and he would lead the same life but he had been wrong. Neither of his children had taken the path he had predicted of destruction. It became obvious to him when he’d finally had the courage to speak to them right after Daehyun was born.

 

He was never great at apologies. Rolling himself down the hospital hallway in his wheelchair Mr. Soo held a gift in his lap. He wasn’t sure what to say to Il Hyun. It had been half a decade since he last spoke to them. Yi Jeong had just gotten back a year before and Il Hyun had married the past year as well He’d heard from newspapers and magazines about Jae Hee and Il Hyun marrying as well as their first child. He’d also heard about Yi Jeong’s marriage which had happened five months prior.

 

As he approached the end of the hall Mr. Soo seemed to be unable to move. Both his sons seemed to be looking at something from a small window. It didn’t take a genius to understand that they were looking at the child Jae Hee had just had. His sons were smiling, they seemed to be talking happily. Il Hyun had his arm around Yi Jeong’s shoulder casually thrown in a brotherly way. There was a proud smile on his face which Mr. Soo could not recognize. That was until he realized it was a smile of a proud father. It was the first time he had ever seen his sons smile.

 

Mr. Soo watched as Yi Jeong spoke something to Il Hyun who simply laughed and ruffled Yi Jeong’s hair playfully.

“Mother, father, and brother has always been Il Hyun.” Mr. Soo recalled Yi Jeong telling him the last time they saw one another. He realized a long time ago Il Hyun raised himself and raised Yi Jeong. There was no need for him to wonder is Il Hyun would be a good father. He’d already raised a kid on his own and Yi Jeong was doing great, he would raise this child well too.

 

“Dad! Mom!” Startled and thinking that he’d been seen Mr. Soo looked up at his children but both Il Hyun and Yi Jeong were looking in another direction. It was then that Mr. Soo watched his brother in law Anderson Lee and his wife Annabelle walk towards his sons along with their daughter. There was an unknown feeling in his chest when he saw both his sons embrace his brother in law. Annabelle and her daughter congratulated ll Hyun hugging him while holding about a dozen blue balloons and large gift baskets in hand.

 

He had always neglected his children and not once had he felt he was out of place, except for today. His intent was to turn around and leave when the ding of the elevator sounded.

“Mr. Soo.”

 

The woman was in a yellow colored summer dress, her face heart-shaped, and her brown colored eyes kind. Her hair was in soft curls and she wore light make up and white flats on her feet. But it was the small noticeable bump on her middle that made Mr. Soo realize that she too was expecting. He remembered her because he’d seen her with his son years before and she’d thrown a glass of water at him. Now as he looked at the ring on her finger she was not his son’s wife. She’d left an impression on him but he could not remember her name.

“Ga Eul-yang”

 

His son’s voice caused him to still, but it was too late to leave. Both Il Hyun and Yi Jeong were coming towards him, while the rest of their family seemed to stay behind and look at them curiously.

“Father.” Il Hyun spoke first bowing politely and coldly.

“I’ll go with Ariel.” Ga Eul whispered offering a polite smile and bow to Mr. Soo before walking away. But not before kissing her husband’s cheek. There was a look that was exchanged between them silently and it made Mr. Soo slightly jealous. It was a look of both love and understanding which Mr. Soo had not seen on a woman since Chaewon. His son was a lucky man.

 

He expected to be berated by both of his sons for being there instead they silently stood there for a few moments in awkward silence.

“You came to see your grandson.” Il Hyun stated quietly while Yi Jeong remained silent and simply looked at him. Y

“Yes… Can I?” He found himself finally saying.

“Yes.” Il Hyun spoke quietly.

“For your kid.” Mr. Soo spoke handing Il Hyun the present he had in his lap.

“Thank you father. But you can give it to Jae Hee. Her family is with her right now.” He spoke.

 

Quietly the three walked together, it was awkward. Mr. Soo wasn’t a man of many words and neither were his children. He didn’t know what to say to them but now was not the time to back down. He could see his brother in law tense as did his wife and their daughter. Even so they bowed politely. Yi Jeong’s wife simply offered him a kind smile.

“We’ll be downstairs for some coffee” Ga Eul spoke quietly.

“You can’t drink caffeine you’ve already had one cup this morning.” Yi Jeong spoke to Ga Eul causing her to smile at him gently and reach up to caress his cheek. Mr. Soo watched his son smile at his wife who kissed his cheek lovingly.

“Tea then. Don’t worry too much.”

 

Nodding Yi Jeong quietly let his wife leave, lacing her arm with Anderson’s daughter.

“Which one is he?” Mr. Soo asked quietly when they were in front of the large window. There were a few babies in small cribs.

“Daehyun” Il Hyun spoke pointing to a baby that was placed right in the middle.

The child was small, sleeping soundly on it’s small crib. Il Hyun was looking at his child and smiling.

 

Mr. Soo doesn’t have these memories of either of his children. He didn’t much look at them then, simply because he did not want to grow attached to her children. Now, he couldn’t look at them out of guilt and shame. It took too long for him to realize that they were his children as well. Now that they had gotten to this point he realized too late that he was not needed in their life anymore.

 

He did not know how to apologize to his children and while they stood there in silently looking at his grandchild and his sons.

“Jae Hee is good for you.” He spoke to which Il Hyun simply smiled. Mr. Soo was never against his son marrying Goo Jae Hee, however, her parents at the time had been. At the time he had blamed his wife knowing he too had been a problem.

 

It was at that moment that Goo Jae Hee’s parents stepped out along with the Shinwa Heir, and his youngest son’s old playmate, Goo Jun Pyo. His wife Geum Jan Di by his side.

“You can go in and see her now.” Mrs. Goo spoke to Il Hyun. The Goo family quietly acknowledging Mr. Soo before heading down the hall.

“I’ll come with you. Ga Eul-yang is downstairs.” Yi Jeong spoke to Goo Jun Pyo and Geum Jan Di joining them to leave.

“Father.” Yi Jeong spoke bowing.

“When is your wife due?” Mr. Soo asked. The question seemed to take Yi Jeong off guard but he answered anyway.

“In four months.”
“I will come see you then.” Mr. Soo spoke. Yi Jeong simply nodded and walked away.

 

For a moment Il Hyun stood with him watching as everyone left leaving them alone in the hall.

“He’ll forgive you. Eventually… He’s not angry, or resentful to either of you. Neither am I.” Il Hyun spoke to him.

“He has a right to be. Both of you do.”
His answer caused Il Hyun to smile wryly even so he shook his head and continued.

“We’ve gotten over this a long time ago. I am happy. Yi Jeong is happy. He grew up well.”
“Despite us…you raised him well…you raised yourself well.. You’ll be a good father.”

During that time, it felt like things would remain stuck the way they were. He had damaged his relationship with his sons in a way that he knew nothing would ever be normal. There were no happy greetings, fond memories, glad too see yous’, or talks of advice. Even now, though they were respectful with him, something they had always been in the past, even when he had been wrong. His sons tried, and so did he.

 

Things were easier, simply because of his grandchildren and his sons’ wives. Through the years what he missed with his sons he was able to do with his grandchildren. Though he no longer had his legs that did not stop him from playing with his grandchildren. He was there for birthdays, if and when he was invited, Goo Jae Hee and Chu Ga El made sure that was always possible. His son’s wives were both kind. They’d include him which way they could which included family events.

 

Through family things which eh never saw himself in Mr. Soo was able to start bonding with his sons. Though he bitterly realized he would never be their dad. They got along well enough to be at peace with one another they laughed with him sometimes, mostly when they were with their wives and children. They were at peace with one another, that was more than what he could ask for.

 

“They’re here!” Minji spoke with excitement heading towards the door while her brother Minseok stayed in his grandfather’s lap. Footsteps were heard before a few children walked in holding their parent’s hands. All F4 children. It seemed like having two was thing for all of them. Only Ariel had a single child a three-year-old boy named Bon- Hwa who was currently being carried by her husband Ji Hoo and she was currently expecting her next child. Beside them were the rest of the grandparents. The Goo’s, the Chu’s and of course Anderson and Annabelle Lee.

 

For the children’s sake it was clear that they were civil. Mr. Soo knew that Anderson would never forgive him for what happened between he and Madeline, but they could be civil for Yi Jeong and Il Hyun, now for their grandchildren as well.

“Father.” Il Hyun spoke with a smile as he looked at his father, he then proceeded to pat Minseok on the head. His wife stood beside him and both his children proceeded to run to play with the rest of the children.

“Come on Grandpa!” Minseok spoke up to him when everyone began to move to the patio where Ga Eul had been busy setting things up for Minji’s birthday. Yi Jeong was with her trying to help as it seemed like Ga Eul had once again insisted on taking care of things herself.

 

Even after a few years had gone by it seemed like both of his son’s happiness was had remained.

“Come on Minseok let’s play!” The children spoke to his grandson who simply bounced off his lap and ran along to play.

“Mom. Dad.” Mr. So could hear Yi Jeong speak and from a distance he watched Annabelle and Anderson hug both Ga Eul and Yi Jeong in greeting. They chatted for a while, Il Hyun and his wife Jae Hee coming to join them as well. It was watching moments like these that made him regret being so prideful. He should have been a better father. Maybe then it might have been him. Even now, even when this was the end result with Annabelle and Anderson in the end keeping his children with him at that time was done out of spite, or maybe it was also an attempt to keep them with him. He knew well that they were better off without him or Madeline back then. Maybe if he’d allowed them to stay with them things would be much different. Maybe then he and Madeline would have been forgotten and erased, never to have caused hurt to their children. Maybe then they would have been hated and never forgiven instead.

“Father.” Yi Jeong spoke to Mr. Soo, breaking his train of though.

“Yi Jeong.” Mr. Soo spoke.
“Is there anything you need? Dinner will be served soon. We’re just letting the kids play a bit.” Yi Jeong spoke looking at his children and smiling as he watched them play in a moon bounce which had been brought in the middle of the large backyard.

“I’m fine.” Mr. Soo spoke.

 

It had taken longer for Yi Jeong to warm up to him. Il Hyun was always much more understanding. Yi Jeong had a right to be more distant…There was no way to decide who suffered most between both his sons, having both suffered in different ways. But it was because Yi Jeong had thought he was like him in the past that Mr. Soo realized that in hating him for being his father Yi Jeong had learned to hate himself as well.

“Ga Eul insisted on the moon bounce for them. And pororo” Yi Jeong spoke shaking his head.

“Minji likes Pororo too much.” Yi Jeong continued causing Mr. Soo to laugh.

“Then I’m sure she’ll appreciate my gift.” Mr. Soo spoke.

“She’ll like my gift better.” Il Hyun spoke coming to stand with them.

“Despite us you’ve both done well.” Mr. Soo spoke.

“Feeling nostalgic again old man.” Il Hyun spoke though there was a smile on his face.

“Sorry. I’m sorry.” Mr. Soo spoke.

“You’ve done well without us.”
“We’ve done well because of both of you.” Yi Jeong spoke.

“Despite us.” Mr. Soo acknowledge once again, something he knew was the truth.

 

Looking at his sons he was both proud and sorry. Even so, he knew they were nothing like him. Two children who had been raised alone, had found love and a home on their own. Had he been in their position he would have never forgiven his own father. Then again, they were nothing like him. For that, he was grateful.

 

A.N

Thanks for reading. I hope you are enjoying these one-shots. There are a few things I feel like I need to explain as far as this one shot goes. If you’ve read my main story you’ll know that Yi Jeong was hesitant to call Annabelle and Anderson his parents. He was not raised by them and he knows who his parents are. I will be explaining how he came to call his aunt and uncle mom in dad in his own one shot which will come later on. I also want to say for those that are confused or may be unhappy with this chapter upon reading it to realize that 1) Mr. Soo’s relationship with Yi Jeong and Il Hyun is still slightly strained and 2) Their mother is still out of the picture.

 

As far as Mr. Soo and his relationship with Yi Jeong and Il Hyun I felt this was the right ending for them as a family. In life things aren’t perfect and neither are families. What I wanted to show in this chapter is Mr. Soo’s regret because he knows there can only be this kind of relationship. There was none in the past and this is more of a compromise. They have forgiven him but it is clear that he will never have the affection or bond a true father and son had with his children. In conclusion to this, he is more of a friend or a goo acquaintance. There are no resentments but there is also not a close relationship. I left this as an open ending in this way simply because I feel like more time should go on and maybe things will better just a bit more. This to me was a fair ending for all three of them as a family it was peaceful. As far as Mrs. Soo. I will soon post a one-shot in regards to her, her past with her husband, brother, and of course finally coming together with Yi Jeong and Il Hyun. I hope you will read it when I do post it.

 

Now for F4 children. I was unable to place any names but I will be posting it down here.

Ga Eul & Yi Jeong- Minjie F Age:5 & Minseok M Age: 3

Il Hyun& Jae Hee- Daehyun M: Age 6 & Jiwon F Age:3

Woo Bin& Jae Kyung – Chul-Moo M Age 5 & Won Shik Age: 4

Jun Pyo & Geum Jan Di- Young Jae M Age 5 & Yun- Hee F Age: 3 months

Ji Hoo & Ariel: Bon- Hwa M Age 3 & Hei- Ran F Age: (as of this chapter Ariel is still pregnant with her child. )

Jae Ha & Luna : Hwa- Young F Age 4 & Hyo-Sonn F Age: 2

 

Thanks for reading! Next chapter is Seo Hyun. You will finally get to see everything that happened when she was in the main story.