Grandpa When He Knew

Vulnerable Heart One-shots

Raising a child is never easy. Raising a child who has lost his parents while you yourself grieve their loss is harder. When he lost his son and daughter in law in that tragic accident he remembers seeing Ji Hoo right after. The child was crying for both parents covered in cuts and bruises, having survived the accident himself. 

What Grandpa remembers most before the accident was how happy Ji Hoo was with his parents. Parents that were loving, caring and nurturing. Ji Hoo's mother was often smiling. She was a beautiful, gentle, and kind woman. His son, Ji Hoo's father, was stoic but around his wife and son, he was the gentlest man. It was the way that he had taught his son to be with his family.

After his son and daughter in law passed, there was a time in which Grandpa was afraid Ji Hoo would die. The small child would not eat, could not sleep without waking up with nightmares, and he would not speak. Grandpa did not know what to do. He'd taken Ji hoo to counseling, but what could he do when the child refused to open up. 

For a long time, Grandpa blamed himself for all of Ji Hoo's suffering. It was he whom was involved in politics. It was he who at the time was Koreas president. But it was his family who suffered the consequences of a tricky life in politics. In the end, what he was left with was only grief and grandpa felt as though he had dragged Ji Hoo along with him. 

With nothing he could do he searched for help from the mothers and fathers of Ji Hoo's friends. It was Goo Jun Pyo's parents that suggested he get Ji Hoo a girl playmate. 
"Goo Jun Pyo is very outspoken and that seems to be because he has Jae Hee as an older sister." It wasn't much to go by but Grandpa was willing to try anything. 

When Grandpa introduced Seo Hyun to Ji Hoo whom was just a few years older than him Grandpa immediately noticed a change. Seo Hyun was kind to Ji Hoo treating him as an older sister would. It took a few months but slowly and surely, Ji Hoo began to speak. His smile, however, did not return and it would be a few years later that Grandpa would be able to see that smile again.

As the years went on it became obvious just how much Ji Hoo was like his late father. Not only was he the spitting image of him, but his way of carrying himself and the character which Ji Hoo had developed through the years. There were many things Grandpa was grateful for through the years. One being F4, his son had great friends that Grandpa had no doubt would last a lifetime. Then, there was Seo Hyun. It became very clear to Grandpa that Ji Hoo was most definitely in love with her. 

It was the way he would sometimes look at her. Or simply the fact that his grandson seemed to follow her around most of the time. Grandpa wasn't sure if it was love. He couldn't know what was in each of their hearts at the time, but in the end, Seo Hyun had left and married someone else. It saddened him to see his grandson suffering once more. Then... there was Ariel.

The first time Grandpa had ever seen her she offered him a bright smile. The child was for a lack of a better word like a small and cute energizer bunny. Her eyes seemed to dance and she seemed to be unable to stand still. She"d come to their house to return a pair of shoes that Ji Hoo had bought for her. Grandpa had watched the two interacts and it was like watching yin and yang. 

His grandson was rather aloof. Ariel, on the other hand, was a firecracker. Regardless of Ji Hoo"s stoic expression she still managed to smile at him. She seemed unaffected by the way he looked at her and instead seemed to understand him. Later on, his grandson would tell him about how it was that they met and about the infamous dead cat incident. It was more than enough for Grandpa to realize Ji Hoo needed the girl in his life.

For Grandpa, however, the moment it became clear to him that they were meant for one another was clear in his head.

It wasn't every day that Grandpa would visit the shop of his old chef. Back hen the young man seemed to be quite bright and spoke about a great future. He was surprised to find out he now owned a small porridge shop. It was late at night and when Grandpa walked into the shop he made sure to be both unnoticed and quiet. 
" Sorry, we're closed"  Grandpa had seen this girl. From what he knew she was Yi Jeong's girlfriend. She seemed quiet and polite. She offered a kind yet apologetic smile as she looked at him.
"It's alright, let him stay." His old employee spoke. Ga Eul bowed politely and continued to clean up. 

It was then that there was a knock from outside by the large glass window. Grandpa watched the girl's eyes light up when she saw Seo Yi Jeong. It was then that the girl looked at the clock and then at her boss who sighed.
"You can go." He spoke.
"Thank you! Bye Master see you tomorrow. Bye Ariel!" 
"Bye" Came a cheerful voice from inside the kitchen. Grandpa watched the young couple leave in Yi Jeong's car both with smiles.
"To be young and in love," Grandpa thought to himself. 

It would be a few minutes later that the roar of a motorcycle sounded and Ariel herself walked out. She seemed to be in a rush rushing out of the kitchen and yelling a quick goodbye to her boss. She was out the door in a blink of an eye, her red apron flying off her and landing on a table. Grandpa watched his old chef sigh shaking his head.
"He comes to pick her up from work every day." He spoke to Grandpa who watched his grandson step off his motorcycle. 

The night was quite cold and Ariel was in a very light sweater. Grandpa watched Ji Hoo take his coat off and place it on Ariel's shoulders. If only for a moment, Grandpa watched the look in Ariel's eyes as she looked at Ji Hoo. It was then that Ji Hoo was reached for her hands and took out a pair of gloves for her to wear. It was caring of Ji Hoo, and gentlemen like. Grandpa watched them drive off and as he did he saw them both smile. It was the first time in a long time that Grandpa had seen his grandson smile. It became clear to him then that Ariel would give Ji Hoo happiness once again.

The next few years would come and go. What Grandpa predicted became truth. It was only after Ariel came back after five years that Grandpa was truly able to see his grandson happy once again. The two, for the most part, were inseparable. Ji Hoo would spend most of his days with Ariel. More often than not Grandpa would find the two playing piano together. Ariel would sing. 

There were a few arguments along the way, nothing major or where either one would be angry. In the end after some sulking, the two would reconcile. Fights were rare and Grandpa could always tell, simply because Ji Hoo would sulk for a day and in the end, he would simply go look for Ariel and apologize. They were happy and in love and it didn't surprise grandpa when Ji Hoo proposed to Ariel. 

They married in a small but lavished wedding with close friends and family. It was all they needed and Grandpa remembers watching both children smile and look at each other with love in their eyes. he was sure they would be happy and in love for a long time. Within a few months they were expecting their first child and Grandpa was glad when his great-granddaughter was born. 

It was during this time that he thought so much more of his son and his late daughter in law. The small family which Ji Hoo had built mirrored what he had with his own family. Though Grandpa was sure Ji Hoo missed his parents and he would always miss his parents, he had finally found his happiness. For that Grandpa was truly happy.