Happy Birthday

Mountain too high to climb
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sumin was on her bed, googling on her laptop for a present to get for Sehun’s birthday that would be in a week. She had planned everything else, except for the present itself. “What do you give someone who has everything?” she wondered.

 

The past couple of weeks had been wonderful. Although she had recovered from her shock at his confession, she sometimes still could not believe it. But Sehun had been consistent in showing that his feelings were sincere, he was never uncertain, even when she was unsure about them.

 

In the past two weeks, they had gone out to remote park, beach and a long drive to nowhere during the weekend. On weekdays, he sometimes picked her up from school to send her to the café or pick her up after work to send her home. Sometimes, they just stay at home watching movies or playing games. A few times, he slept over. It seems as if he was trying to make up for all the times they were not able to be together. She felt like a real couple. Sumin enjoyed every minute being with him. Even though she sometimes fell a little bit behind on her schoolwork, she tried to catch up during her lunch hour and in between classes.

 

Sehun would be away in US for a fanmeet on his birthday. Although she was disappointed that she could not celebrate it with him on the day itself, they’ve agreed to celebrate before he leave. But she had no clue on the right present to get for him.

 

A knock on her door, followed by Ye Rim popping her head to said hi. “Wait Ye Rim, I need your help,” Sumin cried. Ye Rim opened the door wider and stood at the entrance, “What’s up?” Sumin waved her in. “Palli, I need your help.” “This must have something to do with Sehun’s birthday, right? What now? I’ve already agreed to come back after midnight. Don’t tell me you want me not to come back?” Ye Rim asked as she walked to the bed.

 

Grabbing Ye Rim’s hands, she gushed, “I don’t know what present to get? What do you give someone who has everything?”

 

“Give yourself to him, I’m sure it’s the best birthday present for him,” Ye Rim deadpanned.

 

“Ya!” Sumin threw her hands away. “Is that the only thing you can think of?” Sumin huffed.

 

Ye Rim sat beside her bestfriend and poke her sides, “You are 21 already, you will be 22 in a few months time, what’s stopping you? Don’t you think that its not fair to hold it out from Sehun? He is a man, afterall,” Ye Rim scolded her.

 

“We’ve only dated for a few months. I’m not ready and Sehun loves me enough to wait. He is not pressuring me, you are!” Sumin pulled a long face. Ye Rim shook her head.

 

“Ok, tell me what kind of present you want to get him,” Ye Rim pacified her. “I don’t know. Whatever I thought of, watch, wallet or anything else, he has them..probably a few of them and in brands that I could not afford. What do I do?” They both googled for ideas. There is a metal bracelet for men’s that interest both of them. “Would he wear that?” Sumin asked. “I think I’ve seen him wore something like this in one of the shows. I’m not sure its part of them promoting a brand, or its his personal choice,” Ye Rim remarked. “Did he look good wearing it?” Sumin asked. Ye Rim gave Sumin a hard look. “Girlfriend, Sehun always looked as if he owned whatever he wears, even the most ridiculous thing. Have you seen some of the weird stuff he wore on the magazine spread. But somehow on him, it looks good, whereas it would have looked ridiculous 90% of men. You don’t have to worry about that.”

 

Sehun was busy training for the fanmeet and the only available date was the evening before his flight to Los Angeles. Sumin took leave from the café that evening. She prepared the food and decorated the house with balloons and banners. She told Sehun that even though they are having dinner at home, she would like him to be dressed semi-casual.

 

Sumin was in the bedroom, checking out her attire for the evening, a simple deep red A-line dress with a square collar with a cap sleeve. She had lightly powdered her face and apply a lipgloss. She let her hair down, flowing down below her shoulder in soft curls. Just as she was satisfied with how she looked, the doorbell rang. She wondered who it was since Sehun knew the passcode.

 

Sehun stood outside the door with a bouquet of red roses. He was in an all black attire, a silky black shirt partly tucked in, top two buttons were not buttoned and a pair of black tailored pants. His hair was combed back. He looked amazing that Sumin was speechless. Smiling, Sehun walked in and put his hand on her chin, and in a husky voice, “You looked gorgeous! What have you done to my girlfriend?” That broke Sumin’s trance and she giggled. “You looked not too bad yourself,” she returned the compliment. She tiptoed and gave him a peck on the cheek.

 

Sehun was touched to see the living area decorated with silver and black balloons and banner. It’s been a long time since anyone went through so much trouble for his birthday. Sumin appear in the living area with the flowers in a vase. “This is so sweet of you. Its your birthday and I am the one that gets a gift. Should I put in the living area or the bedroom?” she voiced out the question to herself aloud. “Your room, please. So you will think of me before you go to bed,” Sehun suggested. “Ok. Could you turn on the player? I have put some songs on the playlist, none of which is EXO’s mind you, cos it’s a non working night for you,” she teased.

 

After putting the flowers in her room, she pulled Sehun to the dining table, where there was a beautiful table setting for two. “Could you sit here for a bit? I have red wine, if you want alcohol with your meal. Or would apple juice do?” she asked innocently. Sehun chuckled. Apple juice at dinner would make him feel like a small kid. “If I have red wine, do I have to brush my teeth and gargle before I could kiss you?” Sumin bit her lips in trying to hold back a giggle. “Ye Rim let me smell and tried it before. It tastes sweet and smells good, so it’s ok.” “Red wine then,” Sehun decided.

 

Sehun sip on his wine while waiting for Sumin to serve the first course. She came out, in an apron, and served mushroom soup and a basket of bread. Removing the apron, she sat to his right, “I hope you like it. I used fresh mushroom,” she said shyly.

 

Sehun noticed that she was having apple juice. “Are you having apple juice only? It be nice if you have a glass of wine with me too?”

 

Sumin thought for a moment and then she poured herself a glass, “Since it’s your birthday celebration, why not? I did quite like the taste when I had a sip before.”

 

Dinner was lovely. Sehun felt like he was having a private dinner in a restaurant, with the little attention to details that Sumin had done. The steak was cooked medium, so it was tender and it was served with mashed potatoes and salad. “I’m impressed with your cooking skills. You even know how to cook western dishes well.”

 

Sumin beamed. She was so happy that Sehun enjoyed the dinner, and she hasn’t even served dessert yet. “I am actually unfamiliar with western cooking. But I attended a lesson about a week ago, so today’s meal was the result of that lesson.” Sehun was moved that she took the trouble for him, that he was speechless.

 

Getting no response from Sehun, Sumin nervously continued, “I thought of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter