There may be something there that wasn't there before

Mountain too high to climb
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

To Sumin

What are you doing now?

 

Sumin picked up her phone and read the message. She smirked. “I think Sehun just woke up,” she told Ye Rim. Sumin and Ye Rim was at a mall near Ye Rim’s apartment, having ice cream after their late lunch. “He messages you right after he wakes up?” Ye Rim asked, raising her eyebrow. Sumin knew what Ye Rim was implying but she ignored it.

 

To Sehun

Having ice cream with Ye Rim. You?

 

To Sumin

I just woke up.

 

Bingo! Sumin thought.

 

To Sehun

In your own bed? Ooppss… you don’t have to tell me. TMI!  😱

 

 

Ye Rim stared at her best friend. “What?” Sumin asked as she put down her phone. Before Ye Rim could say anything, Sumin’s phone rang.

 

“Yoboseyo!” Sumin answered. “Hey! I went home after the party with hyung back to our place!” Sehun spoke agitatedly so loudly on the phone that Sumin had to put the phone away from her ear. “What’s wrong with you? Chill. I was just teasing,” Sumin said calmly.

 

“We came back at 5 this morning. That’s why I just woke up. My head hurts,” Sehun whined. “Go and eat some hangover soup. I’m sure DO-oppa made some,” she advised. “We are still on for tomorrow, right? I pick you up at 7am. Cook something nice please. I see you tomorrow,” and he quickly hang up before she could say anything. Sumin rolled her eyes, put down her phone and raised her head to find her best friend still staring at her.

 

“I’m not sure whether you are trying to fool me, or yourself. And that goes for Sehun too,” Ye Rim commented wryly as she continued eating her ice cream. Sumin chose not to respond.

 

The next day, Sehun drove them to Gangnung, a seaside town on the west side of Seoul. Chanyeol’s family has a villa with a private beach where the EXO members sometimes go to rest. Sehun had gotten the keys to the whole villa although they would be just at the beach. Sumin was tired as she had spent the previous day after she got home to do her weekly cleaning and cook the meal for that day. When she slipped into the car, she told Sehun she was sleepy and apologized that she was going to be a bad travelling companion and immediately slept during the drive. Sehun didn’t mind and occasionally his eyes would glance at her sleeping face.

 

When they arrived, Sumin walked around in awe. It was a large bungalow that have its own outdoor pool and pool house that faced the sea. “Do you want to see inside the house? I have the keys,” Sehun asked as he put down their stuff on the table near a gazebo. She shook her head. She walked around the garden and found a pathway to the beach. The beach was completely empty. “Are we going down to the beach or stay here?” she turned and asked. “Up to you, choose the spot you want to draw,” Sehun replied. Sumin decided that the garden itself would give her the beautiful view of the ocean for her drawing. “But, we go down to the beach later on, please?” she asked. Sehun nodded.

 

As Sumin settled down with her drawing, Sehun lay down beside her, his face was next her lap so that he could look up to her face. He silently observed her as she started to draw. “SinB is just a friend. She happens to know one of my cousins,” Sehun started. Sumin’s hand stopped in mid-air as she heard Sehun. Taking a breath, she turned and looked down at his upturned face. His face was serious with a a crease on his forehead. “I didn’t ask,” she replied softly. “I know,” he replied, his eyes were searching her face. “I wished you had though,” he continued, this time, his voice was very soft, disappointment was evident. Sumin arched her eyebrows. “Anyway, I just wanted you to know,” he said abruptly before he turned around to face the mat and he opened a book to read. Sumin was tempted to ask why does he wants her to know abut she wasn’t sure she was ready to deal with the answer.  Feeling a tad relief, she returned her focus to the drawing in front of her. A small smile formed on her face as she continued her drawing.

 

After about an hour, Sehun turned and face upward again. He silently looked at her, which was focused on the drawing in front of her. During the drive earlier, as he occasionally glanced at her peaceful face, he acknowledged that she has become an important part of his life. He thought of her on a daily basis, often wondered what she was doing, thinking of their next outing, wanting to text and speak to her all the time. He had slowly realized that he liked her more than just a friend, and Taehyung had made him face the truth earlier but he was worried that would only push her away. He had dropped hints before but she had not reacted to them. He was becoming more dissatisfied with just being her friend. His eyes dropped and lingered on her lips. For the first time, he really wanted to feel and taste that lips.

 

Although there had been many girls, including celebrities that had thrown themselves at him, Sehun had never been interested. In fact, at times, he viewed them with disdain. Occasionally, some of the members had asked him if he swings the other way based on his disinterest and some of his comments. He wondered himself but he knew also that guys didn’t interest him either. He said some of those comments to rebuff some of the interest from the fanatical girls. But here is a girl who managed to tug his heart, who made him feel warm all over just by being with her, or hearing her voice on the phone, even when that voice is bickering with him.

 

Sumin was still drawing but she was conscious that Sehun was staring at her. She refused to be distracted but it was getting difficult especially when she realized that he had been staring at her lips for several minutes. “Ya, what are you doing? Stop looking at me,” she poked his chest. “Nothing, I did nothing. Just finish your drawing,” he quickly replied. Sumin returned to her drawing.

 

As she drew, she asked, “The book you were reading wasn’t interesting?” “It was ok only. The plot quite predictable,” he yawned. “You must be sleepy. Why don’t you take a nap? The drive must be tiring and I apologize again that I wasn’t good company earlier,” Sumin said guiltily. “I would nap if I could put my head on your lap. The ground is not comfortable,” Sehun cheekily replied. Sumin shook her head and grabbed the sweater she brought. She carefully folded it. “Raise your head,” and she then placed the sweater under his head amd that has now become a pillow for him. She took his sunglasses which was next to him and put it on for him. “Now sleep. I’ll wake you up when its time for lunch,” she said soothingly as she brushed away a stray hair on his face. Behind the sunglasses, Sehun stared lovingly at her. He gave a slight nod and close his eyes.

 

Sumin had cleared her work and quietly laid out their lunch. She knelt beside him, giving herself a few seconds to drink in his face. His looks had grown on her and she was now more appreciative of his sharp and defined profile and features. He was going to be busy the next 6 weeks with practice followed by EXO showcase fanmeets across Asia. She knew that she will miss him as she had gotten used to his presence. She nudged his shoulder gently and was surprised when immediately Sehun’s hand grabbed hers. He had been awake the moment she started to lay out the food. He saw her staring at him for a few seconds and he had taken the time to look at her too from behind his sunglasses. He did not let her know he was also watching her because he knew she would be embarrassed and would turn away. He had waited silently.

 

Now, he held her hand with one hand and the other hand removed his sunglasses. He held her gaze as they both remained silent. His gaze was so intense that Sumin began to squirm under it. His eyes were unreadable; although she wanted to try to understand it, she was afraid that she may end up exposing herself if she continued to hold his gaze. She lowered her gaze as her heart continued to pound away and pulled her hand away from him. She scooted away from him and from under her lashes, she could see that he sat up. Silently she passed him a bowl of rice and chopstick.

 

Tension filled the air. Sehun cleared his throat and thanked Sumin for the food. She had prepared a Korean meal and ther

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter