Sleepover

Mountain too high to climb
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sumin tossed and her bed as sleep continued to evade her. She sat up and decided to do some reading since sleep was just impossible. But the words seem to be swimming away. Her thoughts continued to be in turmoil over Sehun’s earlier confession. “He loves me?” she sighed. “He loves me!” she whispered to herself and she hugged her knees as an outpouring of emotion swept all over her.

 

She walked out to the kitchen for a glass of milk and went to the main door and was happy that there wasnt any strange shoes. Knocking softly on Ye Rim’s bedroom door, she heard the drowsy voice asking her to come in.

 

“What’s wrong?” Ye Rim asked as her head peeped out from under the blanket. Sumin crawled under the blanket and scooted closer to Ye Rim, “I can’t sleep in my room. Can I sleep here tonight, please?” she asked. Ye Rim turned around and questioned, “Why?” “I just can’t. Just tonight,” Sumin said softly but Ye Rim could see that her face was smiling. “Something happened. You can’t sleep because you are too excited about something. Blurt it out,” Ye Rim prodded her.

 

Sumin smiled shyly before whispering about Sehun’s confession. Ye Rim was staggered. “Wow! He did? He is totally into you,” she gushed.  “So.. what did you respond? Did you tell him you love him too?” Ye Rim asked. Sumin shook her head. “What did you tell him then?” Ye Rim asked. Sumin gave a sheepish smile, “I didn’t say anything. I just kissed him. And he seems to be happy with that.” Ye Rim guffawed, “Of course he was happy, but was it because of the kiss or what he thinks your response was by the kiss?” Sumin shrugged.

 

“You don’t love him?” Ye Rim asked. Sumin was silent for a moment. “I like him.. a lot. I missed him when he is not with me. When I am with him, I don’t want the day to end. But.. I don’t know if what I feel is love. When does liking him a lot becomes love? I actually wondered how does he know that he loves me? Do you know when like cross into love?” Sumin asked.

 

Ye Rim gave a cynical smile. “You know I don’t believe in love. I have not been in a serious relationship, so I’m the worst person to advise on that. Shall we google and find out?” Sumin nodded her head. They googled and found so many Love doctors churning out signs to show you are in love. They read some and giggled at them. Finally, they decided to use Cosmopolitan advice:  22 signs to show that you are in love.

 

 

“I’m not in love with him,” Sumin concluded. “Although some of it is true, like missing him, making little sacrifices, like even when he is annoying, I still want to be with him.. but.. I’m not totally comfortable with him, I’m still shy sometimes, I don’t go and stalk his Instagram account and. even though he is one of the foremost person I think when something happens, if it something bad, I would go to you first than him.” Ye Rim listened and remained silent. Sumin shook her, “Don’t you agree?”

 

“Well, I think you have to look at the person. Honestly, you are too independent and have this huge chip on your shoulder in not wanting to depend on anyone. So.. Although I am flattered that if something bad happen you would come to me first, I actually think that your first instinct is not to go to anyone at all. And about not being comfortable with him, its more your shyness and your prudish personality,” Ye Rim said honestly.

 

Sumin took the soft toy nearby and hit Ye Rim softly with it. “I’m not prudish,” she said defensively, “You are just too modern with regards to relationship.” Ye Rim shook her head. “Be honest with yourself, about your feelings for him, about how you want to express yourself with him. What is actually holding you back, is it your feelings for him or your preconceived idea of how you should behave. That’s all I want to say. Come on, lets sleep.”

 

The next day, Sumin caught up ith her household chores, grocery shopping and school work while Sehun went to visit his parents and brother. They chatted for a short while before he left. As she did the work, she thought about what Ye Rim said. She cannot deny that she is conservative, that’s due to her upbringing. And she is strongly independent, because when she was young, she witnessed one of her aunt stayed in an abusive marriage because she was dependent on her husband. Sumin had been shocked to see her with swollen face and bruises on her body and then still her aunt chose to remain in the marriage. That had made her resolve not to be in that position, not only towards men but everyone. She had thus grown fiercely independent, ensuring that she is not reliant on others, including her parents. She worked part time during her high school for her allowance even though her parents insisted on giving hers, and she worked hard towards the scholarship so that her parents ddo not have to fund her college fees. But she cannot deny, that when Sehun held her in his arms, she felt secured and protected, and she forgot that she should not need him to feel that.

 

She was standing in front of the fridge, contemplating on whether to cook dinner or order delivery, when she heard the door opened. Thinking it was Ye Rim, she called out to her, “Shall we order dinner tonight? Or shall we have ice cream instead?  I’m not too hungry and I don’t feel like cooking.” “How about some mandu and cupcakes for dinner?” Sehun offered as he raised the packages in his hand.

 

Sumin’s eyes lighted up the moment she saw him. The next moment, she realized she was in an old tee shirt and a cut off shorts from one of her old jeans. She looked down at herself and then raised her eyes at him, feeling embarrassed. Sehun noticed her reaction and before she could get even more self conscious, he approached her and kissed her lightly. “You look gorgeous, I swear,” and he raised one hand in a scout’s honour gesture. Sumin giggled. She was grateful that he didn’t care that she was looking unpresentable.

 

Sumin and Sehun played PS4 game after the light dinner. They were concentrating on the game when Ye Rim came home. “Hey, I thought Sumin said she’s not seeing you today?” she asked Sehun. Glancing quickly from the game, he replied, “I visited my parents and quickly get back to see my sweetheart. I missed her.” Sumin blushed at his remarks while Ye Rim rolled her eyes. She came out later and watched them finish the game, helping herself to the mandu and cupcakes on the table.

 

When they finished the game, Ye Rim asked Sehun, “What time are you leaving?” Sumin gasped, “Ye Rim, what’s wrong with you?” Sehun had also raised his eyebrow at the question. He wondered if Ye Rim didn’t like that he comes over. “Oh, come on you guys. Give me a break,” she complained as she looked at the two shocked and disgruntled faces. “I am not petty. I don’t mind Sehun coming over. I wanted to catch a movie tonight with you Sumin.” Both exhaled sighs of relief.

 

When Sehun heard about the movie, he wanted to join. Ye Rim think it may be possible but Sumin was totally against it. “Sumin, if someone saw Sehun, he is with two girls. He can always claim we are just friends, as long as both of you keep your hands of each other,” Ye Rim assured her. Sumin had to agree reluctantly since both Sehun and Ye Rim were ganging up against her.

 

They went in Ye Rim’s car. Sumin picked up the tickets while Ye Rim bought popcorns and drinks. They only entered the theatre after it turned dark. To be safe, Sehun suggested buying the tickets for the seats around them. During the show, Sehun reached out for Sumin’s hand. She tried to tug it back but he held it firmly. Sehun was contented; watching movie at the theatre with his girl next to him. They left the theatre immediately after the movie was over, the first people to leave it.

 

From the theatre, Ye Rim drove them to a pojangmacha along the secluded part of Han River. Sumin was nervous, and she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter