Unexplained Changes

Mountain too high to climb
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hi,” Sehun greeted softly. Sumin looked up from her books and smiled, “Oh hello! Haven’t seen you around for quite some time. Your usual?” she asked chirpily. “Yes. I’ve been busy with practice,” he replied. Sumin glanced at him, “Aahh, ok.” She settled his transaction and made his drink. She went back to the counter and opened her book again. Sehun silently observed her.

 

When Sehun walked out of the café, Sumin looked up and wondered. She knew that Sehun is the maknae of EXO, one of the top groups in Kpop world. He had always been quiet and cold, occupying himself with his phone when he is at the café. Her initial impression was that he was a diva who probably have no interest in mixing with others, hence the aloofness and the icy personality. Unlike others, she didn’t find him handsome. He wasn’t a classical handsome guy. His features were too sharp to her but the arrogant way he carried himself and his height made him very attractive and turned heads.  Hyeri told her that he was just shy, but Sumin didn’t buy it. Over the time she had worked at the café, Sumin had only seen him smile a couple of times, though it was a tiny smile. He looked much better with the smile. However, in recent weeks, he had spoken more than in all the months she had worked at the café in total. What’s up with that guy, she wondered.

 

Sehun walked back to the training room. Kai and Chanyeol were playing games on the console while DO was reading his script. Sehun sat quietly, staring into space. He didn’t understand why the girl seemed to occupy his thought regularly. She wasn’t overly pretty, as Kai commented before, she was just sweet looking. She did nothing to encourage him but still, she sparked his interest.

 

That night, he went to Suho’s room. “Hyung, can we talk?” Sehun asked. Suho who was reading, put the magazine down and faced the maknae. “What’s up?” he asked. Sehun didn’t know where to start. So he just described in chronological order what had been happening and the changed in him. “She showed zero interest in me except as a regular customer. But I don’t know why I looked forward to seeing her and listened in on her conversations, why I want to speak to her,” Sehun confided.

 

“Could it be because she showed you no interest whatsoever, that sparks your interest in her?” Suho asked. “But why now? She has not shown any interest before for god knows how long. I never even noticed her existence,” Sehun asked, he was confused. “I’ll go with you to the shop tomorrow,” Suho offered. “She is the tall girl that Kai noticed?” Sehun nodded.

 

When Sehun reached the counter the next day, Sumin immediately asked, “Your usual?” and started to key in his order with barely a glance at him. “Yes, and another one for my hyung here,” he said softly. “Oh, the same thing?” she turned towards Suho and asked. Suho noted that her glance was clear, no coyness, or flirtation. “Maybe not, any recommendation, something not as sweet as whatever he is having,” Suho remarked. “The honey lemon is refreshing and popular. Or if you like something milky, then have the original milk tea,” Sumin suggested. “Honey lemon then” Suho said. She nodded. “I won’t recommend having pearls with it, ok with you?” Suho nodded. She settled the transactions and quickly prepared the drinks.

 

The guys sat at a table, with clear view of the counter. She attended to two more customers before it was quiet again. She wiped down the counter and then proceeded to study. Suho observed her and noted that there was nothing special about her. She had a sweet face with no make up on, not even a tint on her lips, which was naturally pink. She was direct and polite but clearly put every customer at arms’ length. She was not the type of girls that attract attention and definitely one that seemed easily forgettable. She was unlike other girls that Sehun had occasionally mentioned as attractive. Suho also noticed that Sehun was clearly affected by the girl. He fiddled with his straws and kept on glancing at her. He wasn’t sure why but Sehun was right, the girl had shown no interest and wasn’t playing a game.

 

“Noona!” Woojin skipped into the shop. “Hi Woojin," Sumin greeted back with a smile.  "What kind of bubble tea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter