A shaky start

Mountain too high to climb
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyeri bugged her as soon as she arrived at the café. Sumin gave the snacks from Sehun and tried to explain that he picked her up from work to pass the snacks. “He never gave us snacks from his overseas trips before. Anyway, he can always drop it off when he comes in for his bubble tea. He doesn’t need to pick you up from work,” Hyeri reasoned out. Sooyoung silently observed Sumin as Hyeri continued her interrogation. She could see Sumin was getting uncomfortable. “Ok, ok. We are friends. We chatted and sometimes he accompanies me when I go on day trips outside Seoul to do my paintings. I guess you can say we are good friends,” Sumin explained. “No, I don’t believe you. You two must be dating,” Hyeri said. “Has he kissed you?” “Of course not!” she sounded offended. “Does that satisfy you that we are platonic friends?”

 

Sooyoung was in silent agreement with Hyeri that there is something more between Sumin and Sehun. But if the two of them chose to keep it private, they have to respect that. Especially for Sehun, privacy would be key since he is a celebrity. So Sooyoung asked Hyeri to let it go and get back to work.

 

About an hour later, Sehun appeared at the café. Conscious that Hyeri was watching them like a hawk, Sumin acted normally and keyed in his order while avoiding eye contact. When she took the money from him, he grabbed her hand. She tried to pull it away but his grip was firm.  She had no choice but to look at him. She felt heat rising to her face as she felt Sehun’s fingers caressing hers slowly as he stared at her. Sumin gulped as her heart started to pound and her legs becoming wobbly from his stare.  

 

“My training starts late today so it is likely to end very late. I can’t send you home later,” he said softly, loud enough only for Sumin to hear. Sumin blinked. “You don’t have to send me home,” she answered, her voice tremble.  The corner of his mouth turned up into a smile before he quietly responded, “I know. But I want to.” The intensity of his stare increased uncomfortably for Sumin so she shifted her eyes away but a tug from him pulled her eyes back to him. “I’ll be very busy with training in the coming weeks due to the awards and end of year shows. Sending you home would probably be the only way I could spend some time with you.”  Before Sumin could reply, someone else came to the café. Sehun let go of her hand as she quickly completed his transaction. When Sehun went to collect his drink, it was ready. Hyeri gave him the drink with a knowing look. Sehun just said his thanks and walked away, ignoring Hyeri’s look.

 

After Jeonghwan gave his order to Sumin, he commented, “Are you ok? Your face is all red. Are you having a fever?” Sumin shook her head and smile. “No, no. I’m ok. Here is your change and please collect your drink.” When Jeonghwan left and the café was empty again, Sumin put her elbows on the counter and covered her face with her hands. Her heart was pumping so rapidly earlier that she thought it would burst. The sudden change in pace of their relationship is scaring her.

 

She jumped when Hyeri put her hand on her shoulder. “Are you ok?” Hyeri asked, her face concerned. Sumin gave a weak smile and nodded. “Still platonic friends?” Hyeri asked, her tone was teasing. Sumin sighed. “I don’t know, honestly. I don’t know what we are anymore,” Sumin whispered shakily. Hyeri put her arms around Sumin’s shoulder. “I understand you may not be looking for love, but if love has found its way to you, embrace it instead of push it away. It would be a lot easier and happier for you,” she advised. “Especially if love comes in a tall and handsome guy with godlike body like Sehun,” she teased. Sumin couldn’t help but giggle at Hyeri’s tease.

 

True to his words, Sehun was extremely busy the next few days. His training starts late morning till early the following morning. He made a point to grab a drink at the café at least once a day and they chatted via text whenever he is on a break from practice. Sumin was worried he was not getting enough rest but he assured her that he was ok as this was quite the norm. He told her that during his pre-debut days, it was a lot worse with very little rest.

 

On Saturday, she was doing her laundry when Sehun called. “Are you home?” he asked. “Yes,” she replied. “Lets go for a drive before I go for my training. I pick you up in an hour’s time,” Sehun told her before he hanged up. Sumin quickly finished her laundry and changed. She had some time so she made some kimbap.

 

She quickly slid into his car when it arrived after checking that there were no one around. She turned to him to say hi, and found him staring at her. “You are a beautiful sight for my tired eyes,” he said smoothly and he winked at her. He took one of her hands and held it on his lap. Whenever he needed to use both hands, he would quickly get back and continue holding her hand, caressing it occasionally. Sumin liked the feel of his hands on hers and the caress gave her butterflies in her stomach.

 

“Where are we going?” Sumin asked calmly, ignoring the flutters she was feeling. “Nowhere in particular actually. I thought we could have an hour together before I go for my training but Suho hyung told me before I left that there is a meeting before training. So, I’m sorry to get you out of whatever you were doing for just half an hour,” he sounded apologetic. Glancing at her, Sehun continued, “but even for half an hour, I wanted to see you.” And he gave her a smile and look that made her blush. They drove away from the city centre to a less crowded road. Sehun explained about the various things they were doing while Sumin listened.

 

As they drove back to her place, the car stopped at a junction. Sehun turned to Sumin, “I’m sorry that I don’t have much time to spend with you.” “No worries. I’m having my finals soon, so I’m busy with my revision too. Please don’t stretch yourself to see me. You should have ample rest since your schedule is really tough,” she reassured him.

 

Sehun stopped near her apartment. Sumin opened her bag and passed him a package. “Its not much but I made some kimbap for you and your friends.” Sehun took the package and put it at the back seat. “Su,” he called softly. Sumin turned and found him leaning close. He gave her a chaste kiss on the cheek, whispering softly to her ear, “Thank you for the kimbap and thank you for being so understanding.” Sumin face flushed and she almost shivered at the close proximity. She nodded before quickly getting out of the car.

 

When she took the elevator up to her floor, she touched the cheek that Sehun kissed earlier and then to her fast beating heart. Sehun, what have you done to my heart, she wonder

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter