Imprinted

Masquerade
Please log in to read the full chapter

Seongmi yanked out of Kyungsoo's grip and the effort sent her stumbling backwards and landing on the bench behind her. She stared agape at the man before her, his words ringing in her head as her breath hitched in . She was dreaming, she was sixteen again and dreaming of what she wanted to hear from Kyungsoo for years.

“Seongmi?” Sehun called, walking his bike up next to Kyungsoo.

“Thanks for calling me Sehun,” Kyungsoo said without looking away from Seongmi.

“W-What?” Seongmi stammered. She turned to Sehun with her stomach dropping with a growing feeling of betrayal in the pit. “You called him? Why would you do that?” she questioned.

Sehun pursed his mouth as he used his foot to put down the motorbike's kickstand. “Ah, because running isn't working,” he replied.

Seongmi shifted in her seat as she narrowed her gaze at her friend. “Yes it was! We were –”

“No,” Kyungsoo cut in. “It wasn't.”

“We're lucky that it was Kyungsoo hyung who came after us,” Sehun stated with his arms folded over his chest.

“Only because Minseok found it too demeaning of a task and assigned me to it,” Kyungsoo grumbled.

Jumping to her feet Seongmi raked her hands through her hair and stomped her foot in frustration. “Why is he here?” she yelled at the two in front of her. “You know he's the reason I wanted to leave. He's my betrayal!”

“I never meant to betray you,” Kyungsoo shot back. “Never. All I ever tried to do was protect you. That's all I want, is for you to be safe, but you're not anymore. You're being hunted,” he said stepping towards her.

“By you!” she spat.

“By your father,” he corrected firmly. His brows furrowing together as his jaw clenched, the vein at his temple becoming prominent.

Seongmi bit her tongue as she pounded her fists against her thighs. Why were they fighting again? Why did they have to meet again? And how come her heart was still pattering like a hummingbird's wings since Kyungsoo's arrival? Sure, maybe a part in her – deep, deep down – had missed Kyungsoo, but she was still angry with him. . . Or was she simply scared?

“Ah, not to interrupt this much needed talk, but we're gaining attention. Let's at least check into a hotel before you two continue on,” Sehun said glancing around at the people passing by them.

“Alright,” Kyungsoo breathed heavily.

Seongmi shook her head as her teeth clamped around her bottom lip. She didn't want to go anywhere with either of them. She stumbled backwards until her calves hit the bench and she dropped back into her seat. Her eyes stung and all she wanted was to cry out in absolute frustration. Why could nothing stay good for Seongmi.

In front of her she heard mutterings and shuffling then there was a warm palm on the side of her face. Her heart involuntarily skipped a beat at the contact as her nostrils were filled with the scent of honey and dark chocolate. She kept her head down, gaze solely focused on her scuffed Converse and the gray sneakers of the man directly in front of her. His thumb caressed her cheek in a slow, comforting motion that made her mind as fuzzy as the feeling growing in her chest.

“Seongmi,” Kyungsoo said gently.

She grunted, “No.”

There was a sigh as he knelt before her forcing her to look at him. He stared up her with gentle, yet wide brown eyes, the eyes that she had fallen for more than a decade ago. She swallowed anxiously as Kyungsoo continued to caress her cheek, his other hand covering hers that were knotted in her lap.

“Seongmi,” he said again, just as gently.

“I want it to stop,” she whispered. “I want to stop hurting.”

“I'm sorry,” he said. “I never wanted that.”

“Kyungsoo, then stop,” she murmured.

He shook his head minutely, the corners of his mouth twitching upwards in the smallest smile she had ever seen. “I told you I'm not letting you go again. Nothing is stopping me this time.”

Seongmi lips pressed into a thin line as she tried to remove her hands from his. Kyungsoo didn't let her though, his hand tightened on hers as his other held her face in place while his grew closer. She held her breath as she watched Kyungsoo's face move to hers, eyes slowly closing. Then their lips touched and Seongmi's mind went completely blank.

For several long moments all Seongmi felt was Kyungsoo's warmth, their lips moving again one another and her heart trying to escape from her chest. It felt like the kiss would have lasted forever if it weren't for a throat-clearing that made them spring apart, Kyungsoo groaning as he tossed his head back, while Seongmi flushed and turned her head away from the men across from her.

“And here I thought I was the only one who knew how to make a scene,” Sehun teased.

“God you ,” Kyungsoo grumbled.

“You can pick this up at the hotel. I'll even give you guys your own room to do so, but we have to go,” Sehun said jerking his head in the direction of the main street away from the docks.

“Shut up Sehun!” Seongmi grumbled. “We're going.” She shot to her feet, skirting around Kyungsoo who was already getting to his feet, dusting off his pant legs.

There was a duo of laughter behind her as she marched stiffly towards the street. In that moment Seongmi wanted nothing more than to punch the both of them in the face.

“Slow down Seongmi,” Kyungsoo called after her.

“Queens never wait for others,” Sehun joked.

Please log in to read the full chapter