To Pieces

Masquerade
Please log in to read the full chapter

That evening when Seongmi returned home she received a scolding that the house next door definitely heard and a beating that maybe the pack neighbors heard. She had embarrassed Ginam in front of another alpha and a rather close friend which wasn't tolerated even if she was his daughter. Know your place already, he had repeatedly yelled at her as his fists connected with her body. Seongmi didn't fight back because that would have just dragged on his punishment, but that didn't mean she took it in silence. I hate you and fell from more than once. When she was finally sent off to her room Seongmi was sporting several new bruises along her back and ribs and a big, fat bottom lip.

Sitting on her bed Seongmi wanted nothing more than to not be at home. She was tired from practice and the argument with her father, but she wasn't ready to just call it a day. It was a ty day and she needed it to end with at least one good thing happening. So she pulled out her phone and made a call.

“Princess?” yawned a familiar voice. “Why are you calling so late?”

“It's not even midnight yet Chanyeol,” she grumbled.

“Fine, why are you calling then?” he questioned in a husky voice. He was either just heading to bed or was already asleep. A part of Seongmi felt bad for waking him, but the part of her that needed the distraction didn't care.

“I want to cash in my winnings,” she replied already getting to her feet.

“Huh?” Chanyeol mumbled at a loss.

Stopping at her window Seongmi pinched her phone between her ear and shoulder as she slid the glass open. “I do believe I won our last bet and you owe me personal time,” she said, her swollen lip giving her a minor lisp.

With the window opened took hold of her phone again and climbed through the rectangular space out onto the roof that wrapped around the porch below. She didn't bother closing it as she carefully made her way down the gentle decline of the shingled roof until she was at the edge.

Chanyeol groaned. “Does it have to be tonight? I'm tired.”

“Me too, you're too tough as a trainer,” she whined back. She eyed the grass of the backyard below her in the evening glow of the moon and stars, readying herself to jump. It wasn't much of a fall – for a werewolf – seven, maybe eight feet to the ground, but her muscles were already sore and tired from her day that she knew it was going to be an unpleasant landing.

“So tomorrow?” Chanyeol asked hopeful.

“Nope today,” she answered with no pause. “I need a distraction.”

“Does it have to be me? What if I send a stand in? I have work tomorrow morning,” he offered grumpily.

Seongmi considered this as she leapt off the roof, the air rushing passed her as she fell the distance to the ground. Her feet his the grass and dirt with a shaky thud, her legs reverberating from the impact and threatening to topple her as she bit back a groan of pain. Her thighs and calves were extremely against that decision.

Swallowing the pain Seongmi returned to the phone call. “Fine, but it better be someone fun. Also this means you owe me double,” she stated.

“Deal,” he eagerly agreed.

“I'll be waiting out front of the base. Bye.”

“Bye.”

With that Seongmi hung up and made her was across the grass towards the mansion and base. She shoved her phone back into her jeans pocket and ran a hand through her tangled hair that was its natural black hue because her father never believed in cosmetic change – which was just a load of bull since he allowed his pack members to use hair dye and makeup. It was just Seongmi who wasn't and she never really understood why. Though that didn't mean she wanted to use makeup, she rather liked her natural face, but hair dying seemed like fun. Even Chanyeol had bright red hair that brought out his personality even more when coupled with his wide grin. Seongmi wondered what her plain hair said about her personality.

She waited at the bottom of the front stairs for whoever Chanyeol was going to send out. After eight minutes of scuffing her heels against the paved driveway and repeatedly checking her phone for the time and maybe a message from Chanyeol, Seongmi was about to burst into the house annoyed and impatient. She was two steps from the large ornate door when it was yanked open and out stepped a pack member Seongmi wasn't too familiar with, which was weird since he was the member closest to her age at twenty-two.

“Sehun? Chanyeol sent you?' she inquired with a raised brow.

The guy had orange dyed hair that was a shade that complimented his light skin tone and didn't make him look like a clown. A leather jacket thrown over an equally as black tee cladded his top half while the bottom was – unnecessarily – ripped jeans and half tied combat boots. At her question a smirk curled his full lips and he pulled the front door shut behind him before hovering over her.

“It really is the princess,” he remarked in amusement. “And here I thought hyung was pulling my leg because I ate his pizza.” He chuckled when Seongmi made a face at him. “Yes, Chanyeol hyung sent me,” he nodded.

The tall guy was still towering over her and she didn't like it. Taking a step back she eyed him his right hand holding something that his fingers concealed. “You better be fun. I don't need a buzz-kill tonight,” she commented.

Sehun barked a deep laugh as he stood to his full height. His dark eyes gleamed with mischief as he glanced down at her, his right hand raised to show off a set of keys dangling from his index finger. “Oh, I am a world of fun princess,” he hummed.

Seongmi wasn't impressed by his confidence talk. “Car or bike?” she challenged with crossed arms.

“Bike, of course,” he answered smoothly.

Without motioning for her to follow Sehun took off down the front steps and towards the large garage as he went. Seongmi turned to follow, perplexed by his relaxed yet cocky attitude. It was like she was cleaning with the male version of herself or something and Seongmi wasn't sure how she liked that thought. She liked herself, but could she handle another her? She was going to find out.

Catching up to Sehun's side she asked, “So where are we going?”

“Party,” he simply said. “Overheard some of the guys talking about it.”

Seongmi made a disgusting noise in the back of as they reached the garage. Sehun paused in opening the large door to stare at her with curious eyes. “Is this another grunge wolf forest bull party?”

They guy snorted. “No, but that sounds so terrible it could be fun.”

“It's not,” she grumbled.

Sehun was a maniac on a bike and even then Seongmi thought that was an understatement. He wasn't much for traffic laws like speed, stop signs or turn signals. He weaved the motorbike through lanes of traffic at speeds Seongmi couldn't reach in her wolf form and werewolves moved swiftly. She clung to his waist as he revved his engine making the bike fly down the road.

When they finally reached their destination Seongmi jumped off the back of the motorcycle and yanked the helmet off her head to glare at Sehun. He was snickering as he put down the kickstand and climbed off of the vehicle. As he removed his own helmet he turned to smirk at her, who tossed the safety gear at him. He caught it with ease with his free hand.

Please log in to read the full chapter