Chipped

Masquerade
Please log in to read the full chapter

Kind and responsible Kyungsoo may have taken Seongmi home that night, but he had hardly been around since that night. At her study sessions he would simply give her the assignments and wait for her to finish them before he graded her work. There were no more casual smiles or lighthearted banter between them. He spoke as little as possible around her. Kyungsoo, the guy who she grew up with (him four years older than her), who was always there to guide her or get into trouble with as kids, who was her first friend, who meant the world to her, was gone. Her Kyungsoo was gone.

It had been two months since the night of that party that broke everything and all Seongmi could think about was how she could have stopped it from ever happening. All of her attention went to those what if thoughts, especially during her trainings.

“Focus Seongmi!” Chanyeol barked.

Said girl choked for breath as she laid on her back after being flipped by her older trainer. She had hit the earth with a bone rattling thud that had forced the air out of her lungs and only fueled the bad mood she had been in for weeks.

When she didn't get up, too busy leering at the happy blue sky, Chanyeol stepped over to her and gazed down at her with an impatient and unamused expression. The others in the training arena still grunting and panting from their ongoing practice. The arena was a dirt floor structure that Seongmi's father had constructed to help train new werewolves and keep s in combat ready condition. The walls were round and made of brick, and there was no ceiling giving a clear view of the sky and the moon on cloudless nights.

“Get up, practice isn't over,” Chanyeol said staring down at her.

“I know,” she groaned.

“Then why are you doing down there still? Better yet, where's your head at? You should have avoided that flip completely,” he said folding his arms. He was in full trainer mode, no hint of the actual goofball he really was.

“Got a lot on my mind,” she grumbled.

“Well forget it. Training comes first,” he stated.

Across the arena Seongmi could hear Kyungsoo training with Jongin and it just made her more upset. It was Monday, his day to practice with her, but for the last three weeks he had been pushing the job off on Chanyeol who never brought up the sudden distance between Kyungsoo and her.

Punching the ground with both of her fists Seongmi released a frustrated scream that echoed off the arena walls.

“Jesus,” Chanyeol muttered taken by surprise at the sudden outburst.

The place fell silent and Seongmi felt the stares on her. She punched the ground again. What was she suppose to do about Kyungsoo? She hated not knowing the answer.

“Problem?” Jongin called over to Chanyeol and Seongmi.

“I think the princess is just throwing a tantrum,” Chanyeol replied.

Seongmi opened to correct him but someone else spoke first and she clamped her lips shut.

“She doesn't have tantrums,” Kyungsoo stated.

She swallowed the lump that had formed at the sound of his voice. Of course he knew that about her. Seongmi could get pouty and whiny at times, but she never had tantrums or fits. Slowly sitting up she dared a glance in his direction only to see him gesturing to Jongin for them to return to practice.

Another crack.

Huffing Seongmi forced herself to her feet and dusted herself off. He wasn't talking to her, she didn't know why she thought he would after the last two months. He probably hadn't even looked her way when she screamed. He wasn't the Kyungsoo she knew.

He's different. He's different. He's di–

Her mental chant was interrupted by a loud voice that cut through the training noises that had returned.

“Seongmi! Kyungsoo!”

Turning around she found Minseok entering the arena with a saunter and a half grin in her direction. She held up a hand in a minute wave as he made his way a little further into the structure. What did he want?

“Yeah?” Kyungsoo called back.

“Follow me. The alpha wants to see the both of you,” Minseok informed.

Spinning on his heel he began leaving the arena and Seongmi groaned. Giving Chanyeol a quick farewell she took off after the beta annoyed to be called out while she was dirty and sweaty and grumpy. It was made even worse since she was called out alongside the one person who didn't want to be around her.

Catching up to Minseok's side Seongmi asked, “What does the old man want to see us about?”

They made their way through the small cluster of trees that created a barrier between the arena and the mansion that was the pack's house (mostly used by

Please log in to read the full chapter