Lies

Masquerade
Please log in to read the full chapter

Seongmi glanced from Chanyeol to Kyungsoo then back with half lidded eyes. She hadn't agreed to be there, Chanyeol had tricked her, promised to help her with her tracking. Which he had for half an hour until Kyungsoo showed up with a bag slung over his shoulder. Now Seongmi was turning on her heel to leave the forest for her home.

It had been almost a solid week since Seongmi and Kyungsoo spoke to one another. She had taken it upon herself to be the one to avoid him, running off from practice when he showed up at the arena or using Sehun as a shield when Kyungsoo wandered through the base. She was doing great at keeping her distance, but now Chanyeol had tricked her into being near Kyungsoo.

“I'm leaving,” she said flatly. Shooting a heated leer at the redhead as she marched away.

“W-Wait!” Chanyeol called after her.

“No. I think I'll go have lunch,” she muttered.

Seongmi only made it a few more steps before Chanyeol grabbed her wrist pulling her to a stop. She groaned as she whirled around and yanked her arm away from him.

“Just stay and talk,” Chanyeol begged.

“No.”

“Seongmi please,” Chanyeol whined.

She shook her head turning away again and stomped through the forest. She was done talking about the issues, hearing excuses, wondering why. Seongmi just wanted to move forward and Sehun was helping her do that, slowly but surely. The ache was still there in her core, but it had started to dull in the pain it gave her. She was able to smile and laugh because of Sehun who was always on her side, who put her first and it made her feel special – for once.

There was a rustle and crinkle of the dead foliage under foot that wasn't cause by Seongmi, then Kyungsoo was standing before her face stoic and eyes steady on her face. She stopped in her tracks, gaze narrowing at the man before her. Chanyeol several yards behind her watching the interaction.

Seongmi took a sidestep to go around Kyungsoo, but he mirrored her action, staying in her way. She grunted under her breath as she glared even more at him. Why was he even there?

“Move,” she hissed.

“I'm staying Seongmi. We have work,” he countered.

Crossing her arms and leaning her weight on her left leg she narrowed her eyes to pin pricks at him. “We? Since when is there a we?” she challenged darkly.

“Seongmi,” Kyungsoo huffed. His left brow twitching slightly as he stared back at her. He didn't look upset, his gaze was half lidded and gentle, something Seongmi didn't want directed at her. It made her core ache more. “We need to work together.”

She scoffed. “For what?” Because of what Ginam ordered you to do? Don't bother, I'm not marrying either of those asses,” she snapped.

“Seongmi just give him a moment,” Chanyeol said coming up next to her. She turned to the redhead with a heated gaze not understanding why he was siding with Kyungsoo when he knew she was upset with him.

“Why? So I can waste more of my time on someone who just doesn't care?” she challenged flatly.

“Seongmi, he–,” Chanyeol began, face turning red, voice raising.

“Chanyeol, you can go. I can handle this,” Kyungsoo cut in.

“But–”

Kyungsoo waved him off with a shake of his head. Chanyeol fumed for a moment before turning on his heel and marching off deeper into the woods leaving Seongmi alone with Kyungsoo. As he took a deep breath Seongmi tried once again to move around him, but he just sidestepped and stayed in her way. With a frustrated groan she spun about and began stomping off in the opposite direction, yet again Kyungsoo moved and quickly stood in her way.

“Leave me alone!” she erupted. Hands tossed in the air and voice bouncing off the nearby trees making her words echo in the forest.

“I can't do that,” Kyungsoo said firmly.

Planting her hands on her hips Seongmi settled in for a fight, whether it be verbal or physical she was ready. It was in the making anyway, was it not? Kyungsoo had been forced to deal with her and he had hit his limit, hence the space he had put between them for months. Now, he was being ordered to ready her for a marriage ceremony that she didn't want no matter the outcome of the match. Kyungsoo wasn't her friend like she had believed for years, he was just another pawn for her father to play with.

“Why not? Because Ginam said so?” she spat venomously.

Kyungsoo's gaze narrowed and his mouth pursed. His hands flexed at his sides as his nose flared with another deep breath. Was he struggling with his temper? “He has nothing to do with this Seongmi,” he gritted out.

She rolled her eyes again as she leaned back on her heels. “Pardon,” she scoffed sarcastically. “But it's hard to believe that.”

“It's the truth,” he stated.

“First time for everything, huh,” she grumbled.

Now Kyungsoo scoffed. Tossing his shoulder bag to the ground he took a step toward Seongmi so they were face-to-face. Their eyes locked in a crackling staring contest as the atmosphere around them darkened further.

“Would you just listen! Please,” he snapped.

“I don't need to hear more lies,” she shot.

“I'm not going to lie to you,” he swore with such sincerity that Seongmi stumbled in her comeback. He took half a step closer, gazes still locked, faces only inches apart now.

“I-I don't believe you,” she said in a slightly quieter voice.

His sigh sounded defeated as his shoulders slumped minutely. “I know you don't, but I need you to hear me out at the very least,” he said gently.

Gulping down the lump that was starting to form in Seongmi's hands fell from her hips and rested limply at her sides. Seongmi wasn't sure why she nodded, maybe it was to get this interac

Please log in to read the full chapter