Truth

Masquerade
Please log in to read the full chapter

Sehun kept his word. By the following morning they were on a ferry to Jeju watching the sun rise over the ocean. It was the farthest Seongmi had been away from home since her mother's passing when she was five. When her mom passed due to a terminal illness her father had taken them up to Seoul, her mother's hometown, so she could be laid to rest next to her parents that had passed decades before.

Now in Jeju Seongmi and Sehun crashed at a halfway decent hotel for a few hours before heading out for lunch and to explore the island that was new to both of them. They stayed for a week, mostly wasting their days on the beach and boardwalk taking in the sun and enjoying the freedom. They were on the beach now, Seongmi lying under a large umbrella with a dumb gossip tabloid in her hands and Sehun trudging up the sand towards her with water dripping from his orange hair and swim trunks.

When he crashed on the mat next to her Seongmi closed the magazine and rolled it up to hit him on the shoulder with it. His action had sent a sprinkle of water over her and she knew he had done it on purpose because she hadn't joined him for a swim.

“Jerk,” she muttered, though there was a smirk on her face.

Sehun snickered as he rolled onto his side so he was facing her with a jokester smile curling his lips. Bending his elbow he propped his head up with his hand while his other arm draped over her waist, tapping his fingers against the blue beach mat.

Seongmi sighed as she rolled onto her side mirroring his position as she dropped the magazine between them. He could be such a cheeky little sometimes.

“So,” he drawled after a moment or two of silence. Seongmi raised a brow at the sudden curiosity in his tone. “Do you want to stay a while longer or should we set out for a new place?” he inquired drumming his fingers mindlessly on his stomach rather than the mat.

She hummed in thought as she chewed on the inside of her bottom lip. Curling a loose lock of hair behind her ear she glanced at the beautiful crystal blue water that was crashing to shore while sparkling like jewels under the afternoon sun. She had come to enjoy the calm atmosphere of the island and the interesting collection of food and people that were there. Yet she knew staying in one place for too long wasn't good when one was on the run – especially from a pack of werewolves (mostly just two in particular) – and Sehun's funds had to be running low with the hotel rental fee and nice meals he had been paying for Seongmi had tried to offer the stash of money she had brought with her (from years of birthday and New Years money and the occasional allowance her father gave her to get her to listen to him), but despite Sehun's rough and trickster exterior he was still a gentlemen and insisted on paying for all the expenses on their adventure.

“We should probably move on, huh,” she muttered.

Sehun nodded. “I don't know how much Ginam cares, and if he sent someone after you they would be here any day now.”

She groaned and flopped onto her back. Tossing her arms over her stomach she stared up at the underside of yellow polka dot beach umbrella. “It wouldn't be because he cares, it would be just to smite me,” she commented with a bitter laugh.

“So we're moving on?” he questioned for clarification.

Turning her head to look at him she nodded with another long sigh. “We should head out tonight.”

“After lunch?” he pouted.

She snorted at his jutting lower lip. He looked like a begging puppy which only made Seongmi like him more. They had so much in common with their personalities.

“Fine, but I want steak today. We've had fish the last three,” she said.

“Awesome!” Sehun sand. Leaning forward he pressed a kiss to her nose before leaping to his feet to start packing to leave.

Seongmi laughed at his childish antics as she sat up to slowly help him. Fifteen minutes later they were on Sehun's motorcycle heading away from the boardwalk and towards the streets lined with restaurants. After they are their fill, Seongmi humming in contentment, they returned to their hotel to pack and check out.

It wasn't a long wait for the ferry to arrive, though the ride was slightly longer back to the main land. Seongmi was leaning against the railing at the back of the boat watching the island grow smaller as they left it behind.

“Already regretting it?” Sehun asked joining her at the railing. Forearms supporting him as he ducked his head to her level so they were eye-to-eye.

She glanced away from the island and to him with a simple shrug. “More like missing it. This past week has been one of the best of my life. No training, no tutoring sessions, no lectures. It was relaxing and fun.”

Please log in to read the full chapter