Sides

Masquerade
Please log in to read the full chapter

The car was filled with Minseok's loud, lecturing tone. They had been on the road for over an hour now and during that whole time the beta had not shut his mouth. He was bragging how he found Seongmi faster than Kyungsoo – which wasn't true – scolding Seongmi for her childish runaway attempt, and belittling Sehun who had ditched her when trouble showed up. Seongmi bit her tongue so hard to keep from speaking that she tasted blood.

Chanyeol was the one driving, silently. He stole glances back at her and Kyungsoo through the rear view mirror giving sympathetic looks that she just shrugged at. It wasn't Chanyeol's fault, he was just working under orders from an egotistical jackass.

“Shut up already Minseok,” Seongmi snapped, cutting off his rant.

“Don't speak to me like that,” he barked back. Turning in his seat to scowl at her, he bared his teeth in a threatening manner that didn't effect her in the least bit.

“Why? Feeling disrespected? Good,” she sneered.

Minseok hissed, fingers digging into the armrest of his seat. “I'll break that habit of yours once I win,” he growled.

Seongmi laughed humorlessly as she cocked her head to the side. “I'll never be yours, nor will you win,” she said folding her arms over her chest.

They leered at one another for several miles before Seongmi clicked her tongue to stare out her window as she slumped in her seat. Minseok gave a smug snicker as he faced front in his seat. Seongmi clenched her jaw struggling to not snap back to gain the upper hand and try for the last word with the beta. It was a long ride back to the Thunder Pack base and Seongmi didn't want to spend it yelling in a cramp space. Taking a deep breath she remained silent, fighting the urge to start yelling at Minseok.

About five hours later Chanyeol pulled into a way-stop to refuel and as a break point before they started on the last stretch of their journey. Minseok had stepped away to use the bathroom and get something to eat while Chanyeol was supervising the “captives”. When Minseok was out of earshot of the gas pump where Seongmi has her window rolled down as Chanyeol filled the cars tank, Kyungsoo unbuckled his seatbelt and scooted across the seat towards her. His hand reached for hers, fingers intertwining and easing some of the built up tension inside the girl.

“We should now,” Kyungsoo muttered to her.

“You guys can't run off,” Chanyeol commented form outside. He was leaning against the vehicle by her open window. Peering out at him Seongmi saw the tall redhead glancing back at her with a solemn expression.

“We don't plan on it,” Seongmi said honestly.

“We need to talk to you Chanyeol,” Kyungsoo added.

With furrowing brows Chanyeol turned away from the pump to meet the two gazes on him with eyes flickering back and forth. “About what?” he inquired cautiously.

“If you had to choose a side, which would you choose,” Seongmi began, squeezing Kyungsoo's hand as she spoke. He gave a reassuring squeeze back as he leaned over her so he had a better angle of Chanyeol's face.

“Ginam's or Seongmi's?” Kyungsoo offered the chooses and the older male's expression scrunched up more in utter bemusement.

“What's the scenario?” he questioned.

“There is none. Pick a side,” Kyungsoo simply stated.

As Chanyeol pinched his mouth shut the pump clicked off. He busied himself with returning the nozzle and putting the gas cap back on as they waited for his reply. Seongmi was holding her breath as she waited, her grip tightening on Kyungsoo to the point the guy hissed and wormed his hand away. He tried to give her an understanding and apologetic look, but she could see the tinge of pain and annoyance under that. She mouthed 'sorry' before Chanyeol coughed as he slid back into the driver's seat to pull the vehicle in front of the way-stop building.

Sighing Chanyeol switched off the car and turned to glance back at them. He looked conflicted.

“Seongmi,” he said.

“I-Is that your answer?” she asked choking on the breath she released.

There was a pause then a nod.

“Yes,” Seongmi cheered bouncing in her seat. “I thought I would have to call in that favor,” she chortled as she smacked the back of Chanyeol's seat.

Chanyeol cracked a half smile as he ran a hand through his shaggy red hair. “Never going to let that go, huh?”

“No,” she smirked. “You did introduce Sehun to me because of it though.”

Chanyeol's smile fell away while Kyungsoo wrapped an arm around her shoulders. “Sorry about that,” the taller guy muttered.

Seongmi leaned back confused. “

Please log in to read the full chapter