- Promises, Promises

Because You're YOU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Shhh.. Can you possibly be anymore louder than that??"

 

Seungri rolled his eyes. Jiyong was being ridiculous, it's not the Ice Prince's fault if he happened to accidentally step on a broken twig while they were trying their best to enter Jiyong's house through the back door unnoticed. Blame the sound wave for that. And he could see with his eyes that the backyard was hardly ever being taken care of. Jiyong's sister must haven't been tidying up the whole house for awhile.

 

This was the first time ever he's sneaking in somebody's house like a goddamn burglar and Seungri swore he'd never do it again. He wouldn't even think of doing it in the first place if it wasn't for Jiyong. But how dare that not-boyfriend of his tells him to be more quiet..?

Can't he see that Seungri's somehow weighing his life decisions here..? Can't he..?

 

Jiyong only ignored Seungri's irritated face -- because he knew exactly what's inside the Ice Prince's head but he's not in the mood to entertain that bipolar for now -- as he cautiously twisted the doorknob open and signalled for Seungri to quietly follow him inside. They both stepped inside the kitchen and stopped near the entrance to the kitchen when they heard Dami's voice and an unfamiliar one that Seungri had never heard before.

 

Of course he hadn't, he had never met Jiyong's grandmother before to be able to recognize her voice. 

Yes, the mysterious visitor was Jiyong's grandmother, which was why Seungri was here sneaking in with his not-boyfriend like thieves to give the latter some very much needed support.

Why..?

 

Here's why. Dami called Jiyong just now because she knew how much her brother had wanted to confront their grandmother and tell her everything he feels and that he doesn't care about the old lady's opinions anymore. Seungri himself had been aware of Jiyong's ultimate hope to be able to face his grandmother like a man when he has his chance. So, this was the right time that she finally pays an unexpected visit to their humble sanctuary.

 

Thus, Seungri should, must, have to, be here to hold Jiyong's hand and provide some backup, playing his role as a passionate companion. Although there was undeniably a glint of determination in Jiyong's orbs, Seungri could somehow see that the black-haired male wasn't as confident as he seemed to be.. The Ice Prince could see that his not-boyfriend was already nervous by hearing the lady's voice only from a distance of several feets away from that so called grandmother, and the way his hold on Seungri's hand that was constantly tightening as seconds passed totally gave away that he's actually extremely anxious.

 

So that was why as they were squatting near the kitchen entrance, peeking the whole conversation that was going on in the living room, Seungri silently intertwined their fingers. And when Jiyong tilted his head to be able to glance at the Ice Prince questioningly, Seungri only stared back at him, mouthing "I got you,"

 

And only God knows this strange but somehow already familiar feeling that was nestling inside the pit of his stomach when Jiyong smiled. Their hands were interlocked with each other, with their hearts beating in the same rhythm.

 

 

"I've read the emails you sent to me," 

Dami fixed her gaze on her cup of tea as the old lady in front of her who used to dote on her when she was a child started speaking again after commenting on her humble home. "Yes, I just don't want to lose contact.. Even though Ji--"

"Your ex fiancé, what was his name..? Ryeowoo..? Yoon..? He's getting married in a month, are you aware of that..?"

 

Dami kept her silence, timidly nodding at the statement. "Yes, my friend told me already.. I guess, we weren't destined to be together.. But I'm totally okay.. Now, don't you want to know how's Ji--"

 

"If you hadn't been a fool and decided to follow that useless boy here, perhaps you are already married to the love of your life.. If you have stayed with me when I persuaded you--"

Dami knew Yisoo would bring up about this topic, her tight face from the moment the old lady arrived had already indicated that she was unsatisfied with Dami's decision before, and seeing her life now.. Her grandmother didn't even try to hide the visible distaste in her eyes as they roamed inside the small but comfortable house.

 

However, she decided to try channelling their topic into Jiyong. After all, that's why she had called her brother on the phone just now, to let him confront with their grandmother. So, she smoothly built her words and started speaking.

"You know he needs me here.. Plus, I've found a job and have been making new friends and all--"

 

"But you have to admit you preferred your old life in Jeju.. You should have listened to me before, and not try to be the perfect sister you thought you're being by following him here, sharing his miseries.. Whatever you had in that silly mind of yours when you insisted to leave.."

 

Dami fisted her hands so tight that she could almost feel a slight pain as her nails digged inside the smooth skin of her palms. How could she talk of his grandson like that..? 

"If you have stayed, you'd be living the life you'd been dreaming since you were a child.. Living in luxury, alongside your handsome husband and lovely kids.. But you just have to be a fool and--"

"So what..? I should have let my own brother live on his own..?!? Is that what you're trying to tell me..? I should have think of my priorities first and just let a 17 years old boy fend for himself as if he had no relatives in his life..??"

 

Yisoo was unaffected by Dami's angry harsh tone. In fact, she let out a low scoff, staring at her granddaughter as if she was talking like an idiot, "I thought Jaesang is taking care of his and your welfare now, I don't see why you'd be worried if Jaesang is there to provide for that brother of yours even if you're not here..?"

 

The old lady took a sip from her cup and wiped with a handkerchief gracefully. Dami wanted to scoff, no one could tell how black her heart actually was, Yisoo looked like a courteous lady, she had always been seen as a loving grandmother in everyone's eyes. Huh. Everyone was fooled all these years.. Even Dami..

 

"You're barely needed here, because Jaesang had already taken care of everything else, you're only playing the role of a companion here.. And I don't see the need for you to do that, haven't you ever think about your life..? Look what happened to your fiancé--"

 

"Grandma!!" 

 

 

 

 

Seungri's body shook at the sudden outburst. The intense conversation that he was eavesdropping was practically killing him, he fully understood why Dami finally bursts. It would be suspiciously shocking if she didn't..

The old lady was indeed intimidating, and her words were too cruel for a well-mannered lady. If it was him, the old lady probably would have been strangled by now. He didn't learn taekwondo for nothing..

 

However, the anger inside him was overshadowed by the realisation that Jiyong was no longer holding his hand -- the black-haired male's hand was weak inside his hold, and Seungri wished to see Jiyong's face at this moment.

 

So Seungri carefully tugged Jiyong's hand and the latter slowly turned. As expected, Jiyong was clearly affected by the conversation -- if his red-rimmed eyes and slightly red puffy nose were anything to go by.

 

"She.. My sister was suffering.. She sacrificed for me.. Her fiance.. She.." With sniffles between each gap of words, Jiyong was hardly able to finish a sentence without a waver in his tone.

 

Jiyong was clearly on the verge of tearing, he's like a crying ticking bom, and Seungri hadn't the slightest idea on what to do. 

What..?

He could barely deal with his own emotions, do you expect him to be an expert with others' feelings..?

Think again.

 

So he did the only thing he could think of doing -- he caressed Jiyong's hand that was in his hold, and wordlessly held Jiyong's cheeks, caressing the flowing tears as he listened to the black-haired boy as he kept on blaming himself for not realising that his sister had given away her perfect life just to stay with him.

Him.

Kwon Jiyong.

Her brother who was accused of being the cause of their parents' death, the one who had been disowned by their own grandmother, the innocent boy who had been evicted from his family house.

 

He thought he was suffering all these time, he never realised that his sister had been keeping everything from him and hiding behind her sassy character to fool him. Making him think that she's okay, when in contrary she was broken too, just like him.

 

It seemed like they both had something in common -- ignore self miseries and flash a joyful smile in front of others while trying their best to give others the happiness that they both couldn't have.

 

Seungri let his not-boyfriend cry, because one, he didn't know how to stop the tears. And two, it was always better to let go of the pain than keeping it. Having a strong faith in his logics, he patiently used his fingers to wipe the flowing tears that were continuously running down Jiyong's smooth cheeks. 

 

Both were unaware of the sound of the front door being closed, and the approaching footsteps to where they were snuggled together on the kitchen floor.

 

"Seungri..? Ji..? Why are you both on the floor..?"

 

Jiyong's ears perked up at his sister's voice, and he quickly escaped Seungri's hold and embraced his sister. Bawling his eyes out. Seungri would think that was cute, if only the circumstances weren't so sad.

 

"Why, noona..? Why didn't you say anything..?"

 

Dami only kept her silence, her hands protectively circling around her brother's torso. Seungri felt a slight tug in his heart, watching the love shared between these two siblings.. It was nothing like what he ever had with Seunghyun..

Not like he would ever want to be treated like a brother when being with that kindergarten-minded older boy.

Seriously, he'd rather not. Ew.

 

"Why did you sacrifice for me..? Why didn't you stay with grandma..?"

 

Dami pulled back just enough to see Jiyong's teary face. "You're uglier than usual when you cry, I told you before, didn't I..?" 

Dami tried to act as if she wasn't at all affected, but the waver in her eyes gave her away. "You're asking me 'why'..? Of course because I love you, silly.."

 

That did nothing to decrease the crying mess that was Jiyong.. "Promise me, you won't keep anything from me anymore..! Promise me, you won't pretend to be okay when in fact you're not.. Promise me--"

 

Okay.. It felt like that was the cue for Seungri to leave. He was here to support Jiyong as he faces his grandmother, but now that it's not going to happen in the meantime, the Ice Prince felt like he wasn't needed here.

 

So he wordlessly turned around, and attempted to walk away and leave but suddenly he was stopped by a hand holding tightly to his.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter