Ring Pop (kid!Onkey)

drabbles

Ring Pop

Prompt: Imagine your OTP as kids. Person A gives Person B a ring-pop, and when B takes it, B declares that they’re married now.

Pairing: Onkey (Jinki x Kibum) ~460 words

Author’s Note: Jinki & Kibum are the same age, which is Korean five years old (International four years old).


Kibum and Jinki are in the same pre-K class and after being seated at the same table on the first day, they become fast friends.

One afternoon, Kibum comes over to Jinki’s house for a playdate and Jinki shows him his collection of ring-pops. He has five.

He loves ring-pops so much. He thinks they look like diamonds. His parents let him have one occasionally as a special treat.

His mom comes by as they’re playing and says they can each have one. Kibum has never had a ring-pop before, so he doesn’t know which one to pick. Jinki helps him, excitedly choosing his absolute favorite ring-pop, the red one.

As he gives it to Kibum, he says “This one is my favoritest! It taste the best out of all of them and it’s so pretty when you hold it up to the light. It’s for you,” which makes Kibum all blushy and shy.

Jinki chooses the next best flavor for himself and proceeds to put it on. Kibum has trouble opening the ring-pop wrapper and Jinki notices.

“I’ll help you, Kibummie!”

Jinki has difficulty opening the wrapper too, but he doesn’t want to lose cool points with Kibum, so he worries his bottom lip into his mouth as he concentrates and his chubby fingers keep slipping, but he eventually gets it open, letting out a small sigh of relief. Kibum watches as Jinki slips the ring-pop onto his finger before going to throw the wrappers away.

To Kibum’s knowledge, when two people exchange rings, it means they are married. This is what his grandmother told him when he went to his cousin’s wedding last year as he sat in her lap during the ceremony. The wedding was so pretty. The bride wore the most beautiful dress and there were flowers everywhere and a big cake! Kibum loves weddings.

Kibum whisper-mumbles “We’re married now” as he looks at his hand.

Jinki has returned from throwing the wrappers away, but he doesn’t understand what Kibum said, so he asks quizzically, “Hmm?”

Kibum looks up from his hand at Jinki and just repeats himself louder with a gleeful laugh, “You gave me a ring, we’re married now!”

Jinki is terribly confused, but Kibum looks so happy that it makes him happy as well. He starts smiling so big, his eyes disappear into little thin crescents until he’s all cheeks and teeth. “O-okay!”

The little boys are so happy and bouncy, they clasp both of their hands together, intertwining their fingers and they start shrieking happily while jumping up and down, singing “We’re married! We’re married! We’re married!” until they get dizzy and fall down in little happy heaps on the floor of Jinki’s room.