Two Sides of a Coin

Fractured Butterfly

A yawn escaped Hakyeon as he reached the final math problem in Jackson’s homework for the night. Having done their homework side by side, Jackson had insisted on taking a break for snacks and tea (his treat) before allowing Hakyeon to look over his work. It was true that Jackson wasn’t exactly superb at math and, upon checking his work, Hakyeon found a solid fifty percent of the answers were incorrect. Checking the clock on his living room wall as another yawn escaped him, Hakyeon handed the sheet back to Jackson.

 

“I put a check by all the ones you got wrong.” Leaning into his couch heavily, his muscles began to ache, still stiff from the beating Hongbin had given him over the weekend. “Try them again from the start and then I’ll give you notes on what you’re doing wrong if you can’t get them.”

 

“We can finish this up tomorrow, Hakyeon.” Jackson looked sympathetic, clearly seeing how exhausted he was. “Or whenever you have free. I have plenty of time to get it all done.”

 

“Mm-mm” Shaking his head, Hakyeon covered his mouth with his hand to shield another yawn. “This shouldn’t take too much longer. It’s okay.”

 

“Well. If you want to lay your head on my shoulder and sleep while I try my hand at this math junk again, I’d be fine being a pillow for a while. Even if you drool or snore.” With a grin, Jackson wiggled his shoulder playfully. “I really don’t mind and you need rest. So don’t hesitate, okay?”

 

“But you can’t write if I’m sleeping on your arm.” With another yawn, Hakyeon was finding the idea of a nap really appealing at the moment.

 

“My lap then?” Moving so Hakyeon had enough space to actually lay his head on his lap, Jackson nodded, giving him a reassuring look when he hesitated.

 

“You don’t mind?” Pausing a moment longer, Hakyeon chewed his lip. Would it really be great work ethic to sleep on the job? Even if the boss was the one ordering it?

 

“I wouldn’t offer if I wanted you to say no.” Jackson nodded toward his lap before he began looking over his notebook. “I’m going to be redoing these problems anyway so it’s not like we’ll have a ton of conversation. You want me to concentrate, don’t you?” Laughing softly, Hakyeon gave in, scooting on the couch until he could stretch out on the empty cushion, legs dangling over the arm of the couch, with his head safely cradled on Jackson’s lap. Opening his mouth to thank the man, Hakyeon was asleep before the words could even leave his lips.

 

 

Some time later, he awoke to a gentle nudge on his shoulder. Eyes fluttering open, he was almost shocked to see Jackson grinning down at him before remembering what exactly he had been doing before he had fallen asleep. Glancing at the look, he noted that only an hour had went by and, with a small groan of pain, Hakyeon sat up. A blanket pooled around his waist, the blanket he usually kept over the back of the couch in case he got cold on the rare days he could sit at home and enjoy his television.

 

“I think I have it this time.” Seeming sure of himself, Jackson held out his paper for Hakyeon to review. Shifting until he could swing his feet back onto the floor, Hakyeon took the paper and looked it over. With a sigh, he found himself leaning against Jackson without meaning to, pleasantly surprised when his companion just wrapped his arm around his waist.

 

“This is actually really good. There are a few that are incorrect but I’ll give you notes on what you’re doing wrong and I’m positive you can get them with your next try.” Smiling, Hakyeon looked up at Jackson as Jackson turned to face him, their lips almost touching.

 

“O-Oh…” Pulling away, Jackson began to gather his things, his body language telling Hakyeon he was embarrassed. “Um. Thanks, Hakyeon. That’ll be really helpful. Um…”

 

“I… I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to…” Lower lip beginning to tremble, Hakyeon fought a growing anxiety as Jackson’s sudden change in attitude. “I’m sorry…”

 

“What?” Jackson stopped what he was doing and turned back toward Hakyeon, reaching out to take the notebook, putting it on the table before gently holding Hakyeon’s hands. “No no no. It wasn’t you at all. I just… Hakyeon, I really, really want to kiss you. But I can’t. Because I’m done taking advantage of you. This is not anything for you to apologize for or to feel bad about. You’re perfect. Okay?”

 

“I…” Biting his lip, Hakyeon couldn’t bring himself to make eye contact with the kind man. Before he could formulate a comprehensive response that wasn’t almost entirely stuttered ‘um’s and ‘uh’s, his bedroom door opened, revealing a grumpy looking Jaehwan.

 

“Go home, Jackson.” Jaehwan crossed his arms over his chest as he leaned against the bedroom door frame, tapping his foot. “It’s late and Hakyeon actually has school tomorrow.”

 

“Jae, don’t be so cold.” Sighing, Hakyeon rubbed his temples, stress making his head throb softly. “It’s my fault he doesn’t have class.”

 

“It’s Hongbin’s fault, Hakyeon.” Jackson rubbed his shoulder gently, shaking his head. “Not yours.”

 

“It’s late. You already don’t sleep enough.” The edge in Jaehwan’s voice was enough to tell Hakyeon that he wasn’t going to give up that easily, as much as Hakyeon wished he would.

 

“Let me write my notes for his math first, please?” With a heavy breath, Hakyeon began scrawling out information in the spaces beside the still wrong problems, not bothering to wait for Jaehwan’s approval.

 

“You don’t have to, Hakyeon. Next time, okay?” Voice concerned, Jackson packed up his books and held his hand out for his notebook. Appreciating his effort to keep the peace, Hakyeon was even more sure that he couldn’t just send him off without finishing their study session.

 

“No. Let me earn my money, Jackson.” Giving his companion a soft smile, Hakyeon nodded toward the notebook. “It’ll only take a few more minutes.” Returning to his scribbles, Hakyeon wrote out the rest of his instructions and handed the notebook over. “There we go. All done.”

 

“Thanks, Hakyeon. I’ll see you in the morning so I can take you to school.” Standing, Jackson shoved the notebook into his bag before holding his hand out. Taking it gratefully, Hakyeon allowed Jackson to help him to his feet, happy that his sore muscles wouldn’t have to work as hard.

 

“I can take him to school.” Jaehwan interpreted Hakyeon’s attempt attempt to speak, clearly annoyed though he wasn’t really sure why. Perhaps Jaehwan was the one that needed to get to sleep…

 

“Alright. I’ll still show up, just in case you have to do something for your father.” Seeming unphased, Jackson shrugged and met Jaehwan’s eyes. “He shouldn’t be walking if you do.”

 

“Thank you, Jackson.” Hakyeon stepped between the two men, blushing when Jackson embraced him in a comforting hug. Almost as soon as the other man’s arms enveloped him, Hakyeon found himself being pulled away, Jaehwan’s hand loose but stern around his wrist.

 

“Alright. Go get ready for bed, Hakyeon.” Moving Hakyeon behind him, Jaehwan nodded toward the bedroom door, a strained smile on his lips. “I’ll see Jackson out for you.”

 

“I…” Hesitating, Hakyeon turned back toward Jackson, feeling guilty that his friend was being so impolite in his own home.

 

“It’s okay, Hakyeon. Good night.” With a comforting smile, Jackson gave him a small wave, turning toward the door. “I’ll see you in the morning.”

 

“Good night, Jackson.” Glaring slightly at Jaehwan, Hakyeon retreated to his bedroom, preparing himself to confront his friend for his attitude.

 

“He’s gone. Why aren’t you in bed, Hakyeon?” Jaehwan’s voice from the doorway made Hakyeon tense with annoyance, his posture only getting stiffer at the arms that wrapped around him from behind.

 

“Stop it.” Stepping away, Hakyeon turned to face his friend, his anger more than apparent in the way he gripped his hands into fists. “Why were you so rude to Jackson? If you’re going to be making my work with him difficult you wont be allowed over anymore. You are my best friend, Jaehwan, but I can’t have you messing with my means of survival.”

 

“I keep telling you that I’d take care of you, Hakyeon…” Jaehwan’s shoulder’s slumped and he stepped toward Hakyeon again, moving to grab his wrists lightly. “I do mean it.”

 

“Jaehwan…” Pulling away again, Hakyeon adverted his eyes, uncomfortable with Jaehwan’s insistence on saving him. The last thing he wanted to do was to further burden his best friend.

 

“I’m sorry, okay?” Taking a step back to give Hakyeon some space, Jaehwan rubbed the back of his own head, a sheepish expression on his face. “I was just jealous.”

 

“I know we don’t get to hang out a lot and I really do feel bad about that, Jae, but that isn’t Jackson’s fault.” Letting go of his anger at Jaehwan’s confession, Hakyeon felt his words, heavy on his heart. “That’s mine.” If he had been a better friend, Jaehwan wouldn’t feel so left out. Honestly, a part of Hakyeon wanted to tell him to just find someone worth his time, but the selfish part of him couldn’t handle the thought of letting him go. He needed his best friend by his side.

 

“It’s not your fault, Hakyeon.” Jaehwan cupped his cheeks in his hands, brushing his lips across his forehead to sooth his worries. “But, you know, If you’d just marry me…”

 

“Jae, it’s not funny. What would your dad think about that joke?” Growling quietly, Hakyeon batted his hands away, pouting slightly as he turned to climb into bed. “He may pity me but you and I both know he’s not exactly a fan of mine.”

 

“Well I’m a fan of yours, Hakyeon.” Jaehwan shrugged, scuffing his foot against the carpet as though he was struggling with saying something, deciding against it. “Can’t I sleep over?”

 

“Yeah. I guess. But you’re still in trouble for how you treated Jackson.” Scooting over in his bed, Hakyeon made room for Jaehwan, cuddling against him once the man’s arms encircled him. There was something comforting about the familiar presence on Jaehwan. It reminded him of when everything was so much easier, when their friendship was solid and his parents were still alive.

 

“Okay, jeeze. I’ll apologize to him next time, okay?” Sounding grumpy again at the mention of Jackson, Jaehwan rubbed Hakyeon’s hips, kissing his shoulder.

 

“Yeah, you better.” With another, long yawn, Hakyeon snuggled closer to his friend and closed his eyes, already feeling himself drifting off. Exhaustion consumed him harder than it had before his nap on Jackson’s lap, fueled by the pain in his muscles and the pressure of his confrontation with Jaehwan, and It was all he could do to remain awake.

 

“Sleep tight, Hakyeon.” Seeming to understand Hakyeon’s struggle to stay up even a moment longer, Jaehwan kissed his forehead and settled down beside him. “Sweet dreams.”

 

“Mhm…” Was all the tired man could manage back before he slipped back into the world of unconsciousness.