Anxiety

Fractured Butterfly

Monday morning came faster than Hakyeon would have liked. Every inch of his body still ached and his bruises hadn’t yet faded from his sun kissed skin. Dread ate away at him as he thought about facing Hongbin again. Fears he couldn’t express to his best friend welled up inside of him, anxieties he had to deal with on his own. A strong desire to just stay home and wallow in self pity threatened to choke his willpower but he knew that even one day out of school was something he couldn’t afford. If he allowed his insecurities to take over and his grades to slip, than he’d been selling himself for no reason. More than that, he’d have to keep selling himself for as long as people were willing to pay because he’d have no education worth hiring.

 

Stepping out of the shower, he dressed in his school uniform and and left his apartment. Jaehwan had been called back to his mansion to talk to his father and Hakyeon was on his own as far as making it across town to school was concerned. Exiting the apartment complex, he was shocked to see a car waiting by the sidewalk. As the horn honked, the passenger door came open and he could see the smiling face of Jackson leaning over to beacon him inside.

 

“What are you doing here?” Stepping closer, Hakyeon tilted his head slightly, confused by the other man’s appearance. With a soft, grateful sigh, Hakyeon climbed into the car.

 

“I knew you were probably still recovering so I didn’t want you to have to walk to school.” Leaning back in his seat, Jackson made sure Hakyeon was buckled safely, door secure, before he pulled back onto the road. “Consider me your personal chauffeur until the bruises heal and I’m positive you’re no longer in pain.”

 

“Jackson...” Biting his lip, he wasn’t sure what to say. Just the thought of someone having to be burdened by him rubbed Hakyeon the wrong way. Owing Jackson for taking care of him seemed like an even worse option...

 

“Cha Hakyeon...” Jackson didn’t look at him, choosing to keep his eyes on the road as he drove, but his voice was gentle. “I am not doing this so that you’d be in debt to me. Hell. If you ditched me completely, I’d just want you to be happy. Though it would hurt like hell... If it was what you wanted, you wouldn’t ever have to look at me again. But I refuse to do so until you’re all healthy again.”

 

“You really don’t have to...” Leaning against the car door, he couldn’t help but steal a glance at the other man. Jackson was so sweet, handsome, giving, and Hakyeon wasn’t sure why the man bothered to spend even a moment with him. Jackson deserved a boyfriend, someone who could love him and give him the world, give him as much as Jackson was willing to give, which seemed to be his everything.

 

“I want to, Hakyeon...” Voice soft, Jackson blindly reached over to bat Hakyeon’s knee, easing his worries ever so slightly. “So I’m going to.”

 

“Thank you...” Putting his hand on Jackson’s, he closed his eyes, enjoying the moment between them. Next to Jaehwan, Jackson was the nicest person he knew. Though, he was sure Taekwoon was kind too, in his own, silent way...

 

“Don’t thank me. You just don’t know what you’re worth...” Jackson had spoken the last sentence in a hushed tone but Hakyeon had managed to catch it. A blush spread over his cheeks and he did his best to pretend as though he hadn’t heard, not wanting to embarrass his companion.

 

“Hakyeon?” After a long moment of silence, Jackson spoke again, his energy changing, slipping from kind and cheerful to almost sad.

 

“Yeah?” Nervousness tugged at the pit of Hakyeon’s stomach and he couldn’t bring himself to look at the other man, fearing the worst.

 

“I’m not going to pay you to sleep with me anymore...” The words stopped his heart and his eyes, wide and terrified, finally fell on the man next to him.

“I wont do it for free, Jackson...” Pulse racing, he struggled to keep his voice even, to keep from betraying how desperately he needed Jackson’s money. “I can’t...”

“I know. I’m not asking you to.” Sighing, Jackson gripped the steering wheel, seeming to be fighting his own struggle.

 

“Okay... Did I...” Swallowing down the lump forming in his throat, Hakyeon forbid himself from crying. “Did I do something wrong?”

“Hakyeon. No. Of course you didn’t.” Knuckles white with the intensity with which he gripped the wheel, Jackson seemed to falter slightly in his resolve only to strengthen it almost instantly. “Please don’t think that...”

 

“Then... Then why?” Feeling the tears threatening to spill forth at any moment, Hakyeon dug his nails into his palms to stop them. How was he going to live? He barely got by as it was...

 

“I just... Hakyeon... I want to be with you... Like... Like that...” Clearing his throat, Jackson shifted slightly in his seat and Hakyeon could tell he was nervous. “Because you want to be with me, not because I paid you...”

 

“I’m sorry...” Unable to keep his tears at bay any longer, he let out a soft sob and covered his face with his hands. Had he been, in a way, leading Jackson on all this time? Maybe he didn’t deserve his money... Or anything else for that matter. He felt guilty and his usual self hate seemed to grown inside of him, consuming even the brightest parts of his soul. If he had hurt someone as kind as Jackson, how could he consider himself a good person?

 

“No. Hey... It’s okay. Don’t cry.” The car stopped and in only moments, Jackson’s strong arms were around him, holding him close. “I’m the one who’s sorry, okay? You don’t deserve this. And I know you need the money so... So can I pay you for something else? I’ll even pay extra for the special treatment, okay?”

 

“Like... Like what?” Hiding his face against Jackson’s shoulder, Hakyeon didn’t feel an alleviation of guilt, but if the other man still wanted to pay to spend any time with him, at least he was okay. At least Jackson didn’t hate him.

 

“Look. We both know I’m not the best student. But you’re really smart, Hakyeon.” Jackson slowly released him, mopping up Hakeyon’s tears with the sleeve of his sweater until both his cheeks and eyes were dry. “Can you just tutor me?”

 

“Thank you...” Without much thought involved, Hakyeon threw his arms around Jackson, embracing him in a tight, grateful hug. There was only a moment’s hesitation before Jackson hugged him back, resting his chin on Hakyeon’s shoulder. In all his darkness, this one kind gesture was more than Hakyeon honestly expected from anyone and the light it cast on him almost felt overwhelming.

 

“Why are you thanking me, silly?” Smiling, Jackson kissed his forehead and rubbed his cheeks again. “I should be thanking you.” 

 

“No.” Shaking his head, Hakyeon let his hands rest for a moment on Jackson’s wrists. “For being so nice. Thank you.”

 

“You’re welcome, Hakyeon.” Finally releasing Hakyeon, Jackson sat back in his seat and returned his hands to the steering wheel, pulling back onto the road from where he had parked to comfort Hakyeon. “Now lets get you to school, nerd.” Finding his laughter comforting, Hakyeon couldn’t help but allowing himself to smile.

 

“Delinquent.” Sticking his tongue out, he settled into his seat again, prepared to spend the rest of the ride in a comfortable silence. Though the drive hadn’t gone at all as Hakyeon had expected, he felt better for it. For the first time since his parents had died, he could feel himself letting someone other than Jaehwan creep around the protective barrier he kept encasing his heart. Maybe he could finally allow himself one more friend. Then Jaehwan wouldn’t have to take all of the burden that was Hakyeon.

 

 

Limping into the school, Hakyeon made his way to his locker, unable to ignore the whispers and stares of the students around him. It wasn’t hard to know what they were saying, thinking. ‘The school  is getting what he deserves again’ and ‘Why is he even allowed to go here?’ Disgust dripped from them, saturating the halls as he walked through them, threatening to drown him with their hatred. Preoccupied with trying to ignore the negativity pressing in on him, Hakyeon hadn’t noticed the man in front of him until they collided.

 

“Watch where you’re going, !” Hongbin’s outraged voice was punctuated with a solid slap across Hakyeon’s already bruised cheek, knocking him back a few steps. Slowly, he lifted his hand to his cheek, eyes tearing up as he looked at his classmate.

 

“I...I’m sorry, Hongbin...” Stammering his apology, Hakyeon dropped his gaze to the floor, knowing Hongbin would find anything else as a challenge.

 

“Did I tell you that you could speak to me?” Scoffing, Hongbin rolled his eyes and brushed at his uniform as though Hakyeon had left a residue on it.

 

“Hongbin, come on. It’s too early for this.” Hyuk gave him a sympathetic look, doing his best to ebb away Hongbin’s anger with kisses.

 

“You can’t possibly be sticking up for this little  over me, Hyukkie.” Pouting, Hongbin pushed him away, shooting a glare in Hakyeon’s direction. It was getting hard to breathe, the conflict putting pressure on his chest and stealing the air from his lungs.

 

“Of course not. I just wanted some more alone time with you before class is all.” Shaking his head, Hyuk went back to kissing Hongbin, holding his cheeks gently. “Is that too much to ask?”

 

“Why are you being so loud?” A voice cut through the tension of the hall and Hakyeon felt a fuzzy feeling growing inside of him, part anxiety and part stereotypical butterflies as he turned to face the person talking.

 

“Taek?” Stepping closer to the angry man that had stepped into the hall beside him, Hakyeon could feel relief flood over him. Of course Taekwoon would protect him, right? They did have a connection after all... At least he thought so...

 

“Mind your own business, Taekwoon.” Hongbin pulled away from Hyuk, his anger rising again, causing Hakyeon to flinch and huddle closer to Taekwoon again.

 

“Shut up, Hongbin. Hakyeon?” Quickly turning to face him, Taekwoon made Hakyeon jump from the sudden movement before roughly holding his chin. “Who did this to you? Was it Hongbin again?” Narrowing his eyes, he inspected Hakyeon’s bruises, seeming to get angrier the longer he looked.

 

“I...” Intending to deny it, not wanting to make things worse, Hakyeon hadn’t actually had time to finish his sentence before the man in question butted in.

 

“Yeah, it was. So ing what?” Sneering at Taekwoon, Hongbin seemed more than ready for a fight and Hakyeon felt sorry for bringing Taekwoon so much trouble. “It’s what I pay him for.”

 

“If you do it again, Hongbin, I’ll have my father destroy your father’s entire company in a matter of days.” Hissing out his words, Taekwoon released Hakyeon’s face and wiped his hand on his pants before turning to face Hongbin.

 

“Whatever.” Rolling his eyes, Hongbin seemed less than bothered by the threat, confident in his own family’s money. One thing Hakyeon envied about the rich was their trust that they could always buy their way out of trouble.

 

“See me at lunch, Hakyeon.” Taekwoon looked him over, the hungry expression of his face sending shivers through him, before Taekwoon walked away.

 

“You know he doesn’t give a  about you, right?” Hongbin’s snide voice cut through the enamored feeling Hakyeon had allowed himself to fall into at his crush defending him. “Taekwoon just prefers not to play with damaged toys.” Instantly, the mood he had been drifting toward was destroyed, and like fractured glass, came crashing around him in painful slivers, cutting at his soul.

 

“That’s enough, Hongbin.” Jackson was suddenly between them and Hakyeon couldn’t help but wonder why he was there when his locker was beside his classroom across the school. Nonetheless, he was grateful to have his friend by his side.

 

“Oh  off, Jackson. Nobody cares about this brown little .” Gesturing toward Hakyeon, Hongbin let out a harsh laugh, devoid of humor, only meant to emphasis how absurd he thought it was that someone could like him. Deep down, the biggest part of Hakyeon agreed with Hongbin. He didn’t deserve love.

 

“I do. I care.” Jackson, reached out, holding Hakeyon’s hand, giving him something solid to focus on, to keep himself from falling apart.

“Your standards must be so low. I wasn’t aware someone of your social standings could catch feelings for the garbage.” Smirking, Hongbin shook his head, clearly amused by Jackson’s confession. 

 

“Don’t ing talk about him like that!” Enraged, Jackson clenched his free hand into a fist, gritting his teeth so hard that Hakyeon was worried they may crack under the pressure.

 

“Oh please. The truth hurts, doesn’t it, Jackson?” Hongbin ignored Hyuk’s exasperated sigh beside him as he continued to taunt Hakyeon and his friend.

“You don’t know pain yet.” Jackson let go of his hand, stepping close to the offensive couple. “Open your mouth one more time...”

 

“That’s enough, Jackson. Just walk away.” Hyuk sounded tense, knowing the situation was outside of his control but making no move to get between the two hostile men. Despite his boyfriend’s vile personality, Hakyeon knew that Hyuk was actually pretty nice and seeing Hongbin’s darker side bothered him.

 

“Yeah. Go rinse the stink of that  off of you before class.” As soon as the harsh words left Hongbin’s lips, Jackson’s fist collided with his jaw. “Ow! What the !”

 

“Damn it, Jackson!” Hyuk finally stepped between them, struggling to end the physical combat between them. Felling useless, Hakyeon battled with anxiety to do something, anything to help.

 

“S-stop...” Forcing the words out, he barely managed a small shout, not nearly loud enough to be heard over the commotion growing around their scuffle.

 

“Stop it! All of you!” Jaehwan stepped in, blowing a whistle to gather attention, ready to take advantage of his father owning their school. “Hakyeon, get out of here. Go to class.”

 

“I...” Hesitating, Hakyeon bit his lip, looking over the mess he had created. He wanted to tell Jaehwan that it was all his fault, beg him not to have anyone punished but him, but he hadn’t had time. A hand gripped his wrist and someone leaned in close from behind him.

 

“Come with me...” Someone whispered in his ear, a voice he didn’t recognize, and he found himself being tugged away from the scene, led to a quiet hallway, devoid of any other students. 

 

“Who are you?” After a few moments of gathering his wits, Hakyeon finally addressed the strange man that, for lack of a better word, had kidnapped him.

 

“Hey. I’m Wonshik. I just started here.” Grinning, the other man extended his hand and Hakyeon shook it limply, unsure of him and still shaken from the fight he had accidentally started.

 

“You probably shouldn’t be talking to me...” Finding it only fair to be honest with the new kid, not wanting him to start off his time at the school in a bad social group, he stepped away from him. “It’s best for your reputation to avoid me...”

 

“Who cares about reputation.” Chuckling, Wonshik shook his head and Hakyeon couldn’t help but find the cocky expression on his face attractive. “Just tell me your name.”

 

“Hakyeon.” Blushing, he rubbed the back of his own head, feeling shy at anyone actually wanting to know more about him.

 

“Nice to meet you, Hakyeon.” Throwing his arm over Hakyeon’s shoulders, Wonshik winked at him. “I think you and I are going to get along just fine.” Watching him, Hakyeon felt a mix of emotions, swirling inside of him, and he wasn’t sure he was okay with this new friendship, but, oddly enough... Hakyeon was almost hopeful for what all of the changes that morning might bring into his life. In the end, he almost believed everything would be okay for him. Almost.