Mixed Emotions

Fractured Butterfly
Streets were busy as he made his way toward his destination, other people finally awake and headed toward their own jobs, Hakyeon felt a certain sense of shame, knowing his work was much less admirable in nature. Shaking his head, he tried to rid himself of those thoughts, knowing they could only lead him to difficulties in his performance, and if anyone was picky about that, it was the man he was on his way to see. Honestly, the person Hakyeon was headed out to meet was the last person he wanted to disappoint, as, perhaps, he had emotions brewing for the client, pushed just far enough down that they couldn’t hurt him.

 

“Get in.” The stern but quiet voice startled him, causing Hakyeon to let out a small shriek as he leaped away from his potential assailant.

 

“Oh, ing hell!” Clutching his chest, he tried to get his heart rate to lower back to a healthy speed as he turned to survey his danger. “What the , Taekwoon?” His client sat in the back of his limo, clearly amused and not even bothering to hide his soft laughter.

 

“You were taking too long.” Still clearly enjoying his small heart attack, Taekwoon nodded as his chauffeur opened the door for Hakyeon. “So get in.”

 

“I don’t know if I should, you jerk.” Pouting, he crossed his arms over his chest for only a moment before his client reached out of the car to rub his hips, breaking down Hakyeon’s attempt at cutely resisting almost instantly. With a small huff of annoyance, he climbed into the car, finding himself in Taekwoon’s lap.

 

“That’s a good boy.” Purring, Taekwoon smirked as Hakyeon leaned down to kiss him. Rolling his eyes, the teen pulled away from him slightly, poking his client gently in the chest.

 

“I didn’t do it to please you, Taekwoon. I did it because my time is money.” Preparing to move off of Taekwoon’s lap, Hakyeon couldn’t help but blush when the other man gripped his hips, holding him still.

 

“Well, baby. Isn’t pleasing me the job?” Voice light but entirely serious, Taekwoon slowly ran his fingertips up Hakyeon’s sides.

 

“Mm.” Smiling, he nodded, leaning in to kiss Taekwoon again. “I guess you’re right.” Not that pleasing Taekwoon was something he particularly needed money for...

 

“Did you forget to brush your teeth after breakfast?” Taekwoon pushed him away slightly, scrunching up his nose as though he were mildly disgusted.

 

“I... I didn’t have time.” Sighing, he found himself shoved into the seat across from Taekwoon as the other man rummaged through a bag beside him, producing a small bottle of mouth wash. Honestly, Hakeyon should have seen that coming the moment he stepped out of his apartment.

 

 

Night had already fallen by the time he and Taekwoon were finished with their little meeting and Hakyeon was sweaty and sticky and exhausted. Not to mention, having skipped all but the first few bites of the breakfast Jaehwan had been kind enough to make him, he was practically starving. Slipping off the bed once Taekwoon let him go to check messages on his phone, Hakyeon began gathering his clothes from the floor, more than ready to return home, eat, and get some much needed rest.

 

“Hey Hakyeon?” Not even bothering to look up from his phone, Taekwoon stretched out, the blanket half draped over him.

 

“Yeah?” Tugging on his underwear, Hakyeon stopped to look the other male over, admiring how perfect he was, even if he was a little cold.

 

“I’m your favorite, right?” Glancing up for only a second, Taekwoon’s smirk made his heart flutter and Hakyeon found himself quietly cursing at his own unintentional reaction.

 

“You know you are, Taekwoon.” Shaking his head, Hakyeon began to dress again, disliking the line this questioning was taking. It was dangerous, a spiral that, if he allowed himself to take even a step forward on it, he would slip and fall to ruin.

 

“Would you come to me even if you were with someone else.” Returning back to his phone, Taekwoon seemed almost disinterested as he continued to test Hakyeon’s loyalty to him, not that Hakyeon should have had any loyalty to his client anyway.

 

“If you paid me what they would have, plus your rate.” Not waiting around to see where the inquiries would lead, he finished dressing, retrieved his payment from the nightstand, and left the warm confined of Taekwoon’s mansion into the cold, bitter night. There was often times that he wondered if, maybe, Hakyeon’s crush on Taekwoon was a bit more than he personally pretended it was and that maybe it was beginning to threaten his work ethic, but every time he thought such a thing, he pushed down those feelings, put on his clothes, and went home. Paying the most for his services, Taekwoon was a client he absolutely could not lose.

 

Frustrated, he continued home, hugging himself as he ventured through the dark streets, darting from streetlight to streetlight. Sure, Taekwoon was willing to pick him up but, as always, could never be bothered to bring him home. Growling softly, already too tired to want to move, he wasn’t thrilled about the hour long walk he had to look forward to just to get from Taekwoon’s mansion to his dingy little apartment

 

Night sounds made him paranoid and years of watching horror movies with Jaehwan seemed to be getting to Hakyeon. Soon he found himself taking the street home at a full run, making the trip in almost a half an hour. Lungs burning, legs wobbling from their strain, Hakyeon finally reached his apartment, surprised to find it unlocked. Stumbling inside, he nearly shrieked at the person sitting on his couch.

 

“You forgot I was here, huh?” Smiling softly, Jaehwan’s voice seemed sadder than his actions portrayed and it stung at Hakyeon’s heart. He had, indeed, forgotten that Jaehwan told him he was staying there until his return.

 

“Sorry.” Unable to meet Jaehwan’s gaze, Hakyeon kept his eyes on the floor, still trying to catch his breath. Jumping slightly, he was taken off guard by arms wrapping around him, having not even noticed that Jaehwan had stood up.

 

“Go shower, okay? I’ll reheat your dinner.” Lips brushed against his forehead before Jaehwan released him, walking around him and into the kitchen.Without another word, Hakyeon did as he was told, forcing himself to walk the few more feet to his bathroom.

 

Hot water felt amazing on his aching muscles, soothing the pain in his body and easing the frustrations that Taekwoon had left inside his heart. Leaning against the wall, he allowed himself a moment to gather his thoughts and take a deep breath before he scrubbed himself of his work and stepped out of the shower. Drying himself, he slipped on a pair of pajamas Jaehwan must have brought in for him before he wandered back to his couch.

 

“That smells fantastic, Jae.” Yawning, Hakyeon nearly collapsed on the couch in exhaustion, watching as his friend brought him a bowl of food.

 

“I have to confess... I made it myself.” Handing the bowl to Hakyeon, Jaehwan sat beside him, draping his arm over Hakyeon’s shoulders.

 

“You didn’t have to go through the trouble.” Sighing, Hakyeon leaned against his friend, eating slowly. “You also didn’t have to wait around for me.”

 

“I know. The thing is, Hakyeon, that I wanted to.” Shrugging, Jaehwan stretched before pulling Hakyeon closer to him. “I also cleaned your apartment.”

 

“Jae... You don’t have to bother with that.” Sitting up slightly, Hakyeon looked his friend over, shaking his head. Jaehwan really was too nice to him and Hakyeon hadn’t deserved his friendship for a very long time. Because the only people who deserved Jaehwan were people who were good enough, and being a e who often neglected his friendship for money meant he was far from satisfactory. Yet, Hakyeon was also selfish, so he’d never do the right thing and tell Jaehwan to leave him alone, because he wasn’t sure he could live through this life without the human embodiment of sunshine by his side.

 

“It wasn’t a bother. You work so hard just to survive. I’m happy to do anything I can to make it easier for you.” Kissing the top of Hakyeon’s head, Jaehwan rubbed his shoulder gently. “You’re my best friend, Hakyeon. I care about you a lot more than you’ll ever accept.” Mildly confused by what Jaehwan could mean, Hakyeon tilted his head slightly.

 

“You’re my best friend too.” Releasing another yawn, he finished his meal, stomach full and happy. “You going home, Jae? It’s pretty late.” Closing his eyes, Hakyeon was enjoying the comfortable warmth of his friend’s arms around him and wasn’t really looking forward to him leaving.

 

“Says the one who ran in here after midnight.” Helping Hakyeon sit up, Jaehwan stood and chuckled, guiding him to his feet. “I’m sleeping over. I already told my dad. Lets get you to bed, okay? You seem half dead.” Sighing, Hakyeon leaned against him, hanging off of him for stability. Jaehwan was right, he felt half dead and was slightly concerned that he may fall asleep on standing his own feet.

 

“You don’t have to stay.” Giving Jaehwan one last option to leave, Hakyeon placed his head on the other teen’s shoulder, closing his eyes for a moment in his struggle not to fall asleep.

 

“I know, but I want to. I miss you.” Picking Hakyeon up, Jaehwan grinned, making a kissing face which caused Hakyeon to giggle and bat at his cheek. “You and I are spending tomorrow watching movies together, okay? You could use a day off.” With a hopeful face, Jaehwan managed to stab Hakyeon right in the soul with his words. He missed his best friend too, and as much as he would love a day of watching movies, curled up under a blanket and eating junk food with Jaehwan, he knew work had to come first.

 

“If nobody calls then I would love that.” Hugging Jaehwan as the man sat him on his bed, Hakyeon groaned. “Hey, Jae. Sleep in my bed, yeah?” Hakyeon patted the mattress beside him as he settled himself under the blankets. “Like when we were kids.”

 

“I remember that when we were kids you had a habit of stealing the blankets.” Chuckling, Jaehwan kicked off his shoes and pants, slipping into the bed beside Hakyeon. “I better not wake up cold.” Chuckling, Hakyeon playfully pulled the blankets away from his friend.

 

“Cha Hakyeon,you absolute brat.” Rolling his eyes, Jaehwan pulled his half of the blanket back over himself. A scuffle for the covers ensued for a few minutes, both struggling to get full control of the blankets. Finally, Hakyeon found himself with Jaehwan over top of him, tickling him as he squirmed and gasped for air. Their faces were close enough that Hakyeon could feel Jaehwan’s breath on his cheeks, causing him to freeze slightly in his combat.

 

“Fine~ We’ll share.” Pouting playfully, Hakyeon finally gave up their small fight, pushing his friend away in an attempt to calm himself and end the precarious situation they had found themselves in.

 

“Good. You little brat.” Laughing, Jaehwan pulled him close again, snuggling against him. “Get some sleep Hakyeon.”

 

“Goodnight, Jae.” Exhaustion hitting him harder than before, Hakyeon felt himself drifting off to sleep now that their wrestling match was over and he could relax. It was weird having someone else in his bed beside him, but the familiar, comforting scent of Jaehwan, the feel of his arms around his waist as they cuddled up, preparing to sleep, had Hakyeon feeling more at ease than he had since... Well... Since his parents had died. Maybe this was the first time he was even truly allowing his guard down since the accident had happened. That thought alone was weird, that he had been so self involved that he hadn’t even been allowing himself to open up to Jaehwan when the two of them had always told each other everything. Making a mental note to stop taking his best friend for granted, Hakyeon allowed himself to sleep.