Fallen From Grace

Fractured Butterfly

Birds chirping signified the coming of dawn, the air chilly and a slight mist filling the world outside. With a soft groan, a man stirred, sitting up in bed and running his fingers through his messy hair. Disentangling himself form the arms wrapped around him, he slipped out of bed, pulling on a crumpled outfit from the floor before pocketing a stack of bills on the nightstand. With one last glance at the person he had shared the night with, he shook his head and left the room in shame.

 

Slinking out of the apartment building, he squinted up at the rising son with a mild sense of malice, still exhausted and even sore as he made his trek home. Heavy in his pocket, and even heavier on his soul, Cha Hakyeon knew that the money he had earned would allow him to live just a while longer without having to leave school. Music blaring through headphones as he walked, he allowed his mind to wander back to what had began everything, all the hardships in his life.

 

How long had it been? Two years? Three? Back then, Hakyeon had been happy, was top student, had loving parents who spoiled him... And then it happened and everything changed in an instant. All it took was one drunk driver to change his life forever. That night, his parents had gone out for a sort of date night, something he had always thought was cheesy, something he teased them for, when their lives were stolen by a careless, selfish man. His father died on impact, his mother lived long enough to waste away, too distraught by the loss of her husband to wish to live for the sake of her only child. Any money his family would have left him had gone instead to hospital bills and funeral arrangements. Not long after, he had found himself homeless and alone at only 15 years of life.

 

Living on the streets was worse than death to him, having always found a dislike for dirt and bugs, even in his earliest childhood, and getting to school every day had become impossible, his heath declining rapidly from the exposure the the elements. Finally, his closest friend, after sneaking him into his own home and nursing him back to health, made a suggestion, more of a joke, really.

 

“Well, Hakyeon. You’re hot. I’m sure if you needed the money people would love to pay you.” Despite being said in jest, those words were inevitably what led to Hakyeon’s new life as male e, earning money by being passed around from student to student in his school. It was never the life he wanted, and every morning he hated himself a little bit more, but if it meant he could rent an apartment and buy what he needed to survive and even finish his education, then it was worth it. Luckily enough, his friend’s father ran the most exclusive school in the area and took pity on him, allowing him to attend free of charge as long as he kept a high grade point average. Honestly, he owed so much to Jaehwan, he wasn’t sure he could ever repay him.

 

Paradise Lost by Gain blared from his phone, a song he had felt made the perfect ringtone given his circumstance, and he answered it quickly, a part of him hoping it was a new client while the majority of him just wanted to eat a meal and sleep for the rest of the weekend. Though the money he had just made would pay for another month of rent and even keep his steady diet of instant ramen supplied, he knew that no matter how exhausted he became, Hakyeon couldn’t pass up a chance to earn some extra cash. Looking down at the holes in his jeans and the poor state of his sneakers, he knew he’d have to be replacing his wardrobe sooner rather than later and he could rest after that, at least until the next expense came up.

 

“Yeah?” Answering his phone with a yawn, he kept strolling down the street, his stomach growling at the scent of baked good wafting from a cafe.

 

“You could have stayed longer.” A voice laughed on the other end of the phone call, causing him to flinch. “I would have fed you. I would have even let you sleep in.”

 

“Time is money, Jackson.” Shaking his head, he thought about the other man, possibly the kindest of his clients, Jackson Wang was the son of a rich CEO from China and was possibly a little too ready to spend his father’s cash on nights with Hakyeon. Their closeness made him uncomfortable, feelings threatened everything he had to do to survive. If Hakyeon allowed himself to fall in love, then he couldn’t, in good consciousness, continue making money as he was and his whole life would collapse for a second time. With high school and college left to put himself through, he just wasn’t ready to risk his financial stability.

 

“So if I offer to pay you extra, will you come back and spend the morning with me?” Voice almost pleading, Hakyeon had no problem imagining the cute faces the other man was probably making despite knowing he couldn’t see them.

 

“No, Jackson. That isn’t on the menu.” Biting his lip, Hakyeon felt a twinge of regret for his stern words toward the teen that would have, in a better life, been a friend or even something more.

 

“Hakyeon...” Sad exasperation emanated from the other man, one final plea to get him to change his mind.

 

“I’ll hang up first. Have a nice weekend, Jackson.” Forced cheer bubbled out of Hakyeon before he ended the call with a heavy sigh, not waiting for Jackson to answer. Stomach growling, he couldn’t wait to get home and make some instant ramen before taking a well deserved nap until his next job. The mostly sleepless nights, between work and studying, was taking a heavy toll on him and he wasn't really sure how much longer hhe coukd keep going without a sleep long and deep enough to make a coma proud.

 

Fishing his apartment keys from his jeans, Hakyeon quietly hummed to himself. Still half asleep and almost entirely lost in his own thoughts, he hadn’t noticed the person leaning against the hallway wall next to his door. A hand landed on his shoulder and he couldn’t help but let out a shrill screech of fear, jumping back. Turning quickly to face his assailant, he nearly crashed to the floor, only to find protective arms around his waist, holding him up safely.

 

“. My bad.” A familiar chuckle sounded in his ear and Hakyeon relaxed instantly, stepping away to straighten his clothes and slap at the other male’s shoulder a few times.

 

“Jaehwan!" Pouting, he found his keys where he had lost them on the floor in his fright, putting a hand over his chest to calm his rapid heartbeat. “Don’t sneak up on me like that!” Shooting his best friend a glare that could kill a lesser man, he unlocked the door and slipped inside his apartment.

 

“I didn’t even sneak up on you. I’ve been waiting for you for almost an hour.” Laughing, he followed Hakyeon inside, practically throwing himself on the couch before Hakyeon could protest.

 

“Why are you even up this early?” Rolling his eyes, he threw his phone and keys on his shabby coffee table before wandering over to his small kitchen to make them both fresh coffee.

 

“Can’t I just miss you?” Grinning, Jaehwan motioned for Hakyeon to sit beside him and he wasted no time complying. Sitting down, Hakyeon barely even noticed Jaehwan’s arm around his shoulders as he leaned into him. “Have you eaten yet?”

 

“I was going to make ramen but you’re here now.” Leaning his head back, he closed his eyes, laughing and swatting at Jaehwan when he felt lips on this cheek. “Stop that. You’re such a creep.”

 

“I can’t let you live off of that stuff every day. I’m spoiling you today.” Rubbing his shoulder, Jaehwan kissed his cheek again. “I’ll order some breakfast, my treat. You go ahead and nap safely in my arms.”

 

“You’re going to make a great husband for someone someday.” Sleep already threatening to overcome him, Hakyeon barely managed to open his eyes to look up at his friend. “You spoil me so much.”

 

“You just get some rest and let me take care of everything, you little brat.” Chuckling, Jaehwan poked Hakyeon’s cheek before smoothing his hand over the other man’s hair. “I’ll wake you up when breakfast comes.”

 

“Mm.” Barely awake enough to let out a grunt of agreement, he allowed himself to slip into the blissful state of unconsciousness he had craved since rolling out of Jackson’s bed that morning.

 

 

Time seemed to slip away unnoticed and what felt like an eternity away and yet somehow not long enough, Hakyeon found himself being gently roused from his slumber. Eyes fluttering open, he was disoriented for a moment, blinking away the sleep blurring his vision until Jaehwan’s smiling face came into focus. Returning the grin, he ran his fingers through his own hair before gently shoving his friend’s face away from his own with a giggle.

 

“Stop~ If you keep doing things like that I might get the wrong idea.” Stretching, he sat up and yawned.

 

“Brat. Maybe the wrong idea is the one you have now.” His friend’s smirk made him roll his eyes, easily shoving him with his foot.

 

“You don’t like me, Lee Jaehwan~” Shaking his head, Hakyeon sniffed the air, taking in the scent of baked goods and meat and coffee, his stomach growling in appreciation. “That smells amazing, Jae.”

 

“I hope you don’t mind, but I had some groceries delivered for you too. So don’t work too hard.” Setting a plate on the coffee table in front of Hakyeon, Jaehwan settled back beside him with his own food.

 

“I wish it were that easy.” Though Jaehwan and himself had been best friends for almost as long as he could remember, Hakyeon knew the rich kid couldn’t even begin to fathom what his life now was like. Only a few years ago, Hakyeon, himself wouldn’t have been able to comprehend his current situation either.

 

“Yeah... I do too.” A long silence followed as they both ate, unsure of how to carry on the conversation. Finally, turning toward him, Jaehwan surprised Hakyeon by taking his hands in his own. “Marry me and I’ll take care of you~”

 

“Jae! That’s a terrible thing to joke about.” Trying to keep the hurt out of his voice, Hakyeon didn’t want his friend to be aware of how badly it hurt to think that, in his line of work, he couldn’t even risk a relationship let alone ever hope to marry.

 

“Who said I was joking?” With a groan, Jaehwan released his hands and settled back against the couch. “You really are hopeless, Cha Hakyeon.”

 

“What?” Confused, he barely had time to express as such before his phone began to ring. “I have to get this.”

 

“Work?” Appearing dejected, a strange emotion for Jaehwan to show, he nodded toward the phone Hakyeon was already answering.

 

“Work.” Chewing on his bottom lip, he was mildly relieved when it wasn’t Jackson’s number flashing across his screen.

 

“Don’t stay out too late. I’ll be here when you get home.” Smile almost sad, Jaehwan waved goodbye as Hakyeon stood to leave. With one last glance back at his friend, he returned to the hall, suddenly grateful Jackson had insisted they showered together the night before. Heart heavy and soul numb, he held the phone to his ear, already headed toward his next destination. Maybe one day he’d find love, have something sweet and pure, but for now all he could do was survive.