Forever?

Fractured Butterfly

~10 Years Later~

 

Hakyeon opened the apartment door, a bag held tightly in his hands as he walked inside, surveying the mess in his living room. With a heavy sigh, he sat the bag on the coffee table and began to clean. He’d only been at the store an hour and already everything was a mess. With a groan, he put away the last item and picked up the bag again, heading down the small hallway.

 

“Jackson, what in the world happened while I was gone? Did a hurricane sweep through the living room?” He located his husband in their large, elaborately decorated bedroom and glared at him sternly. “Because I know you didn’t let our sick child over work himself playing again.”

 

“What? Of course not.” Jackson chuckled, holding a finger to his lips before he pointed at the slumbering toddler curled up under their covers. “I tripped over his toy box when I went to get him some water. Did you get his medicine?”

 

“Oh no. I totally forgot.” Hakyeon tried to hold a serious face for as long as he could but it soon crumbled into a smiled. “I have it. Lets give it to him and let him rest for a while.” Jackson nodded and opened his arms to allow Hakyeon to sit on his lap. Gladly obliging, Hakyeon curled up, embraced by his lover, as he looked over their son, a boy they had adopted shortly after their marriage three years before. He had been an infant when his parents died in a car accident, much like Hakyeon’s own, and Hakyeon knew instantly that this boy was meant to be theirs.

 

“Should we order dinner tonight? I think we’re both exhausted from work and taking care of this little one.” Jackson held him tighter when Hakyeon shifted to wake the toddler for his medicine. “Wait. Lets just sit together a moment longer before he make the kid wake up.”

 

“Awe. Baby, are you feeling a little left out lately?” Hakyeon grinned, leaning forward to kiss his husband deeply. It was true that, in the few days their son had been sick, the child had spent most of the time sleeping in their bed and clinging to Hakyeon, and he hadn’t exactly thought of how Jackson might feel neglected with their alone time severely diminished.

 

“I miss you.” Jackson pouted, kissing him back with a smile. Sure, Jackson needed copious amounts of attention but Hakyeon knew he didn’t mind taking a back seat to the health of their child. Since the moment they had got together, Jackson had focused on making Hakyeon happy (not that Hakyeon wasn’t also doing the same). Hakyeon had left his ‘job’ behind the moment he had told Jackson he loved him, the only person from that past they both still spoke to was Hyuk, whom had married Hongbin but was kind enough never to bring him over. Jackson had helped Hakyeon finish his education and hired him as his assistant, moving out of his mansion to an expensive apartment to make Hakyeon feel more comfortable. They were married in England, adopted their son, and Hakyeon retired from his position in Jackson’s company to raise their child. They went out on adventures often, anything from amusement parks to the beach to the zoo, anything they wanted to do, anything they wanted to experience as a couple or as a family, they did. He just hoped Jackson was as happy as he was. From the moment Hakyeon’s own parents had passed away, Hakyeon had never imagined his life could go this way, and sometimes he was still sure he’d wake up and it would be a dream.

 

“I’ll make more time for you, I promise.” Rubbing his husband’s cheek, Hakyeon gave him a deeper kiss. “After our son feels better, we’ll have Hyuk babysit and go on a weekend getaway, just the two of us.”

 

“I would love that.” Grinning, Jackson leaned in for another kiss and Hakyeon promptly and very accidentally sneezed directly in his face.

 

“I am so sorry.” Hakyeon blushed, hiding his face against Jackson’s shoulder as the other man laughed quietly.

 

“Oh man. Don’t tell me you’re getting sick too.” Feeling Hakyeon’s forehead, Jackson pulled him into a gentle kiss. “I’m taking a few days off to take care of both of my boys and when you’re better, we’ll go on our weekend getaway.”

 

“What did I do to deserve you?” Questioning his husband, Hakyeon snuggled closer to him, rubbing his chest as he gave a happy sigh.

 

“You were you and that was more than enough.” Replying, Jackson rubbed Hakyeon’s cheek, giving the man a small case of the butterflies with his kindness. Ten years together was still not long enough to make him stop feeling joy at everything Jackson did. He hoped it would never stop. “Hakyeon, You are everything I have ever wanted in life and I love you.”

 

“I love you, too.” Giving him another kiss, Hakyeon rested against his chest a while longer before the two began to wake up their son. No future was certain, happiness wasn’t promised, but Hakyeon knew one thing for sure. With Jackson by his side, happily ever after didn’t seem that hard to achieve.