Rips in the Resolve

Fractured Butterfly

Stretching across Jaehwan’s lap, Hakyeon let his feet dangle over the arm of the couch as Jaehwan rubbed his legs and hummed a cheery tune that he couldn’t quite place. Closing his eyes, he took in the moment, basking in the quiet, comforting dynamic they could so easily fall into even after their most tense situations. Somehow, in these small instances, Hakyeon didn’t find it hard to forget that his parents were dead, to forget what he had to do for money, that his life had fallen to hell. Instead, he could almost believe that they were a happy couple just enjoying each others company. What he wouldn’t give to have a reality like that... But, Jaehwan deserved someone who was far more worthy of his love. When Lee Jaehwan finally settled down, Hakyeon wanted it to be with some nice, unbroken person who wasn’t tainted and disgusting.

 

A sounds began, barely audible over the noise from the television and it took a moment for Hakyeon to realize what it was. Sitting up quickly, he scrambled off of the couch to search it out, trying to pinpoint exactly where his ringtone was coming from. Jaehwan reached out to stop him, letting his hand fall short and return to his lap, a look of pain flashing across his face. Seeing that look on Jaehwan’s features hurt him but if he missed the call, missed an opportunity to work... Well, he just couldn’t do that. Tracking his phone, he found himself standing in front of his best friend, guilt obvious in the way he began to shift uncomfortably on the couch.

 

“Give it to me.” Holding his hand out, Hakyeon glared down at him, wondering how many calls or texts he had missed while Jaehwan kept his phone prisoner.

 

“Hakyeon...” Jaehwan stood up, extending his hand toward Hakyeon’s. Letting his hand drop, he stepped away from his friend. He adored Jaehwan and the time he had spent with him was a gift he had desperately needed, but it wasn’t fair of Jaehwan to mess with his livelihold just for those precious memories.

 

“No, Jaehwan...” Shaking his head, Hakyeon held his hand out again once Jaehwan gave up reaching out for him. Watching the joy drain from Jaehwan’s face hurt his chest, making it feel like a hand was squeezing his heart in its tight grip.

 

“I just wanted to give you a day off.” Rubbing the back of his own head nervously, Jaehwan adverted his gaze as he fished the phone out of his pocket.

 

“I can’t afford a day off, Lee Jaehwan.” Snatching it away from him, Hakyeon glanced at the number, groaning. “I don’t have a rich dad to pay for my bills and anything else I might need.” Frustrated, and more than a little worried about upsetting this particular client, Hakyeon went to his room to slip on actual clothes. Anxious about calling his client back, he hadn’t even noticed that his words were coming out as cruel.

 

“No... But you have me...” Following after him, Jaehwan caught Hakyeon’s wrist. Stiffening in his friend’s grip, he couldn’t bring himself to face the other man. Just knowing that Jaehwan knew what Hakyeon had to do to survive was painful, having him see the frantic way he jumped to please his clients made him feel far more ashamed of his circumstance than he usually was.

 

“I don’t need your handouts, Jaehwan.” Pulling away, it was all Hakyeon could do to keep his voice even and the tears from his eyes.

 

“Are you going to go?” Voice coming out distant, Jaehwan backed off, apparently conceding that there was nothing he could do to change Hakyeon’s mind. Lip quivering, Hakyeon kept his friend behind him so Jaehwan couldn’t see how close he was to crying.

 

“Yes. I don’t really have a choice.”Shooting a text off to his client, he made his way to his front door, lingering for only a moment longer. “Maybe you shouldn’t be here when I get home.” Slamming the door behind him, he took a deep breath, trying to steady himself, and began his walk to his next job.

 

If it had been Jackson calling him all day, he knew he’d be forgive, for that matter, Jackson was the type to offer to pay him just to take a break. Had it been Taekwoon even, he would have gotten an attitude and the cold shoulder for a while, but would have been eventually forgiven... Glancing at his phone, Hakyeon’s heart sank and he felt like he may vomit. Hongbin’s name glared up at him from the screen, filling him with dread. On a good day Hongbin was cruel, calling him names and slapping him around, reminding him that he was garbage... But having been ignored several times, Hakyeon had no doubt that he would fall victim to some pretty drastic abuse. One hope remained with him. If Hongbin’s boyfriend, Hyuk, was also there, he was usually kind enough to try to distract him from the violence.

 

With a heavy sigh, he found himself knocking on the apartment door, a secret place Hongbin rented so his rich father wouldn’t have a constant eye on him and he could do more unsavory things, that unsavory thing usually being Hakyeon. Much to his relief, Hyuk was the one to open the door, but the dark look on his face told him that Hongbin was in a horrible mood. Both men shared a glance, neither having to vocalize their distaste for the situation, for Hongbin's rage, as Hakyeon stepped over the threshold.

 

 

Over an hour later, Hakyeon found himself slipping his clothes back on, his body aching and beaten. A pattern of dark bruises were already blooming on his skin and wicked, hurtful words echoed in his mind. Hongbin and his father had apparently been fighting over a new car not being the exact color Hongbin had wanted and Hongbin had enthusiastically and with great malice, took all of that anger out on Hakyeon. A hand touched his shoulder as he dressed and Hakyeon couldn’t hold back the whimper of fear as he flinched away.

 

“.” Hyuk’s voice eased him slightly and Hakyeon managed to turn to face him, hoping the tears welling up in his eyes weren’t too obvious. “Damn it. He really did a number on you this time.” Sounding regretful, Hyuk reached up as though he was going to touch Hakyeon’s face before letting his hand fall back to his side, pulling money out of his wallet instead. “I called Jackson to come get you. You don’t need to be walking home like this.”

 

“You... You didn’t have to...” Grabbing the money, Hakyeon didn’t realize until that moment exactly how badly he was shaking.

 

“Hyukkie~ Stop playing with that ugly and come play with me~” Hongbin purred from his bed, clearly much more cheerful now that he had worked out all his aggression on Hakyeon. Wincing at his taunt, Hakyeon gazed down at the floor, unable to form any more words past the pain in his chest.

 

“You should probably wait for Jackson outside.” Hyuk glanced back at Hongbin, sighing. “I’m really sorry about him. I’ll see you at school, okay?” Slipping Hakyeon some extra cash for his troubles, he dismissed him with a nod before returning to Hongbin’s side. Without waiting another moment, he jetted from the room, nearly collapsing outside of the apartment complex as he struggled to maintain what little composure he had left. Jackson didn’t need to see him break down and Hakyeon didn’t need to ruin any chance of Jackson or Hongbin remaining his clients. No, he would stay calm, he would pull himself together, until he got home. Home, where he would be alone, allowed to drown in his vast amount of self hatred with nobody to care.

 

“Jesus. Hakyeon?” Arms wrapped around him as Jackson caught him off guard, concern filling his voice. “That piece of... I just... I am going to go up there and give him a piece of my mind...”

 

“Jackson, please...” Chewing on his bottom lip nervously, Hakyeon gripped the other man’s arms tightly, afraid of what might happen if he went up there. “Just let it go, okay?”

 

“Hakyeon... Alright, beautiful.” The other man gave in and kissed the top of his head. “Lets get you an ice pack, okay? That punk hit your eye pretty hard.” Too emotionally broken and physically drained to ask Jackson to keep their relationship professional, he allowed the man to help him into his car.

 

“I’m fine...” Once the door closed behind Hakyeon, it was like a something shattered inside of him and all the strength he had needed to hold back his tears dissolved into nothing. Letting out a strangled sob, Hakyeon leaned forward, pressing his forehead against the dashboard and covering his head with his arms as he wailed.

 

“You don’t sound fine...” Climbing into the driver’s seat, Jackson leaned over to embrace Hakyeon, pulling him to his chest. Body trembling as he leaned into the other male, Hakyeon was unable to control himself, unable to stop the breakdown he had found himself in.

 

Unsure of how long they sat there like that, Jackson just held him close, rocking him gently until his cries subsided and he could compose himself again. Neither spoke for a moment and Hakyeon didn’t have the strength to pull away. If Jackson ended up finding hims disgusting for his outburst, there was nothing he could do about it, but for a few more moments, he just wanted to feel a small amount of safety in another person’s arms after all of the horrific things he had just endured.

 

“Okay, pretty boy.” Jackson ran his fingers through Hakyeon’s hair before helping him sit up, ensure that he was safely buckled into his seat. “Lets get you that ice pack and get you home.” Hakyeon found himself shocked when the other man rubbed his cheek gently, looking him over. “Need me to stay with you tonight?”

 

“I’ll be okay. You’ll be more comfortable at home, Jackson.” Turning away from him, Hakyeon gazed out the window, a hallow feeling beginning to eat away at him. “You’re already doing too much for me...”

“It doesn’t feel like too much...” Mumbling, Jackson started his car and began to drive, making a quick stop at a convenience store. Coming back to the car, he cupped Hakyeon’s chin gently to make him face him.

 

“This will be cold, but it’ll help the swelling.” Jackson took Hakyeon by surprise as he kissed him tenderly, distracting him from the initial chill of the ice pack being placed over his eye. “Hold that there, okay? I’ll get you home.” Nodding quietly, Hakyeon sat in silence as Jackson finally brought him back to his apartment.

 

“Thanks for... Everything.” Looking away nervously, Hakyeon wasn’t sure how to handle the current situation with Jackson. Awkwardly, he leaned over and pulled the man into a deep kiss. “I owe you. Our next meeting will be half off, okay?”

 

“Hey, wait.” Jackson held Hakyeon’s waist gently, rubbing his hips. “You don’t have to do this. I came to get you because I wanted to. Just go rest, okay?” He waited until Hakyeon nodded before he let him go. “Take care of yourself. I’m worried.”

 

“Bye, Jackson.” Giving him a small smile that Hakyeon didn’t at all feel, he closed the door, watching the other man drive away before heading inside, ice pack still in hand.

 

“Hakyeon?” Jaehwan greeted him as soon as his apartment door opened and Hakyeon felt his heart stop for a moment. When he had asked his friend to leave, it was because he knew the kind of condition he would return in and the thought of Jaehwan seeing him in that situation made him sick.

 

“Jae... Please go...” Limping his way into to the couch, Hakyeon collapsed onto the cushions, closing his eyes as he tried to ignore the pain in his body. “Please...”

 

“I’m not leaving you alone like this.” The couch moved slightly as Jaehwan sat down beside him, gathering Hakyeon in his arms. “I don’t care if you’re mad at me or if you don’t want me to witness what you’re going through, but I can’t leave you alone to deal with this. Look at you. How can I walk away from you when you need someone the most.” A soft kiss on his forehead was all it took to bring on a new wave of tears and Hakyeon found himself, face buried against Jaehwan’s neck, sobbing himself to sleep. Jaehwan really was too good for him...