Episode Six

The Introverted Theater Arts Student
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Episode Six

Jung Eunji

 

I stood outside, waiting for the moment that we’ll walk in the hall for the Great Ball. I was wearing a pink dress that was too bright, it never seemed to be well, me. Standing right beside me was Kang Haneul, who was just silent on his own. He was smiling to me from time to time, casually telling that I look beautiful.

It didn’t make my heart flutter, no matter how handsome he was… no matter how I used to wish to date someone like him when I was younger.

He was sent an invitation to join the Grand Ball of the university this year, and asked me out a day after since he practically knows no one from our school. I hesitated at first because I was hoping, wishing, that Naeun would at least, ask me out first. So I told Haneul to wait for a few days before I can give my answer.

Those three days, I spent waiting for the time that Naeun would ask me out for the ball. It never happened. Our days at home were like any other. She would hug me and smile, but then nothing. It was like how she would with a friend.

She did mutter from time to time that she still doesn’t have a date and I would tell her to ask anyone out she’s comfortable with. I told her, in hopes that maybe she would ask me.

I guess Son Naeun was stupid enough to not take the hint.

And so, after those three days, I said yes to Haneul.

And just when I said yes, Naeun finally asked me out the next day.

I felt utterly stupid at the way she asked me to be her date. It almost felt like I was a last resort. I… I was hurt, even if she didn’t intend to. I was simply the one hurting because I am the one who loved her.

Of course, what did I expect from Naeun anyway? She rejected my love for her a year ago… There’s a reason why she rejected me…

Why was I so naïve to think that she will try to held out her hand to approach me this time?

What was I thinking when I had my hopes that maybe Naeun would love me back?

“Are you okay? Nervous?” Haneul asked me as he offered his hand for me to take. On the corner of my eye, I saw Chorong unnie standing with Bomi. I gave a small smile, nodding my head a little.

“I’ve never been to big dances before.” I muttered. “I’m really thankful you’re here though. I didn’t expect to be part of the opening dance.”

“You’ll do great. This is not like the hip hop dances taught when we were in high school.”

I laughed at what he said which was true. I was always a terrible dancer. A stiff body and all of that. I guess that’s one of my flaws.

The emcee inside started to call us in, and my heart started to beat faster in nervousness. Why are you nervous, Jung Eunji! I thought. Be confident, please, you idiot!

Haneul seems to notice me tensed up and giggled. He pressed my hand to comfort me before he whispered.

“Just smile, Eunji-ah… as if you’re dancing with your crush that could be me…”

He was joking, but that made

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter