Chapter 6

Runaways

"Tae," Jungkook whispered, pulling the older from his deep sleep.

"Hmm," Taehyung groaned, pushing his hair from his forehead and attempting to rub sleepiness from his eyes. To Jungkook, the sight was the cutest thing ever. It was even cuter than his dog, Gureum, trying to walk on its hind legs to get a treat. He blushed and looked away from the older, trying to get the red hue to disappear.

"M-Mom made pancakes," Jungkook stuttered out, pushing the older off the bed. "Come on! They've chocolate chips in them."

"Chocolate chips?" Taehyung sat, perked up. He hadn't had chocolate chips since Child Protective Services were scoping out his family for any suspicious activity and his mother made cookies.

Together they jumped down the stairs and sat with aching stomachs at the hardwood table. Soon Jungkook's father and older brother sat down as well. Junghyun knew Yoongi, and when he saw Taehyung jump out a car with him, he knew they aren't brothers.

"So, how old are ya, Taehyung?" Jungkook's dad asked, his deep voice booming in Taehyungs still awakening ears.

"F-Fourteen. Just turned it yesterday." He smiled, the rectangular shape brightening the rooms atmosphere. 

"Oh, happy belated birthday," Junghyun shouted from the living room, a pancake clenched between his teeth, and a backpack slipping from his shoulders.

"Thank you," Taehyung loudly responded, hesitating for a moment. He hadn't hesitated because he didn't know what to say, he hesitated due to the fear of being beaten for being a nuisance in the household.

"School," Mrs. Jeon shooed them out the house, Jungkook pushing the white picket fence to let them both out. "You," she pointed to her husband. "Work." He nodded before kissing her cheek and heading out, ruffling Jungkooks hair in the process.

The words of his teacher invaded Taehyungs head, pure nonsense being bored into his brain. The real information he needed would be jumbled with junk. In one ear out the other, just like his mother would scream at his father.

While he was thinking about his family life, he missed the teacher asking him a math question.

"Mr. Kim? The answer," her agitating voice rang out in the silent classroom.

He looked at board, the large 'What's the square root of 25?' written in large letters on the board.

"The square root of 25 is 5, miss." He saw the shock on everyone's face, as they hadn't learned square roots yet, even the teacher sprouted a blush because she expected him to not know.

"Wh-what about this one?" She said pointing to '3 √125=?'

"5." He answered shortly. A look of pure amazement crossed the woman's face.

"Okay. Try this Pythagorean Theorem problem," she said, mouth slightly agape. Taehyung never failed a grade, he was usually top of his classes, but he started lacking when he entered. Now, in the last year, he knew things the class never even learned yet.

Taehyung sighed before stepping up to the board and writing. "If a equals 5 and b equals 12, in order to find c you would have to multiply both to the second power." He explained writing everything out on the old blackboard.

"Now if a² equals 25 and b² equals 144, when you and them you should get 169. That's not the answer, that's just what c² is equivalent to." He stated matter-of-factly. "Then you take the square root of both 169, and c². You get c=13. Now you know," he started, circling the question mark, "That the unknown side is 13 units."

He heard a 'holy ' come from behind him, before he sat down and laid his head down, once again catching himself in dreamland.