Chapter 4

Runaways

Jungkook looked at Yoongi and Taehyung, slight jealousy burning into his piercing gaze. Anytime they did anything as a group, Yoongi had to be there. When they had sleepovers, Taehyung would always go to Yoongis room when they went to sleep.

To Jungkook's understanding, he never knew any reason why. Yoongi was two years older than all of them. Hell, he didn't even understand why Yoongi came along with them in the first place.

"Jihoon," the younger called out, leaning into his palms and squishing his cheeks together.

"Yeah Kookie?" Jihoon replied, leaning into Soonyoung, who was running his fingers through Jihoons hair.

"Why does Yoongi come along with us everywhere? And why does it seem like Taehyung is closer?" Jungkook semi-whispered, scared it would make him seem less of a friend and more of bystander. He didn't even know anything about Taehyungs family life, and it killed him because he wanted to know.

"It's because Yoongi-" Jihoon began, but immediately got cut off from Soonyoungs piercing gaze. He knew it was Taehyungs secret, meaning Taehyung should be the one to tell him, when he was ready.

"We don't really know. Ya' just gotta go with the flow, you know?" Soonyoung butted in, pointing to the two of them.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the park, Yoongi told Taehyung, "Don't worry about them. Just come to me with all your problems. It's okay to be scared."

When he was wrapped in another, bone crushing, hug, Taehyung put his head on Yoongi's shoulder and whispered, "Doesn't it make me vulnerable, though?"

"Vulnerable?" Yoongi chuckled. "The day you look vulnerable with be the day I let any of them at that house touch you."

"I don't know what I would do without you Yoongi. Will you walk me home later?" Taehyungs big eyes shone through the cold December air, his breath bouncing like a ball of smoke in front of him.

"Of course." Yoongi ruffled his hair, pushing the dark locks away from his eyes. Taehyung weaved their pinkies together and held them that way, heading off to the table where all the others gathered.

When the sight of Jungkooks black, disheveled hair cane into view, Taehyung ran ahead, hugging the younger.

"Kookie! Still only have a half an hour to be here?"

"Yeah," the youngest said, saddening.

"It's okay! We'll make the most of it!" Soonyoung said, scooping bright green icing on his finger. He put a dot on everyone's nose and smiled, putting some on his own as well.

They all laughed at Soonyoungs antics and left it there, Yoongi smacking his hand away from the cake.

Jungkook smiled and handed Taehyung a small box, then another larger box. Both of them were held together by a simple yarn like string, extravagantly bright orange, the wrapping contrasting to the orange with different colors. The whole box looked like a rainbow threw up, and Taehyung kept staring, amazed he even got presents in the first place.

He slowly unwrapped the small one, an instant camera lay, film sitting on wrapping papers. In the next sat a leather journal, a large T carved in the center. The journal was wrapped inside a leather jacket looking identical to the journal, to replace the worn, beaten down long sleeved shirt Taehyung always wore to keep him warm.

Tears built up in Taehyungs eyes. "A real gift." He whispered. Yoongi, Jihoon, and Soonyoung felt sympathetic, while Jungkook only looked confused.

"Ahem," Yoongi cleared his throat, nudging Taehyung to give Jungkook a hug. "Let's eat cake now, then Jungkook'll have to go considering the time."

The small square piece of cake was savored by everyone, wanting the youngest to stay longer. They all knew it was time for him to leave when his mother smiled at everyone and took Jungkooks hands.

As they walked away, she asked Jungkook, "Where's his parents?" In a low tone, making sure no one could hear.

Copying his mother's tone, Jungkook said, "I don't know."

-A/N: stay cool :)