Part 5: Three Lifetimes

The Devil's Deal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For 5 years, Sehun and Irene were happy as a couple. They always did random things together of which included doing household chores, learning new things on their own, and watching television programmes. Since they were both busy at work, whatever little time that they have, they spent together in their own tiny apartment and could not stand to miss each other for more than several hours.

Despite their happiness, Sehun never ceased worrying about when the day would come when he had to repay his debt for breaking the deal.

That day finally came.

“Don’t come home too late, I have a surprise for you.” Irene husband over the phone.

Sehun smiled, his wife’s cheery voice never fails to lift his moods up and he is already yearning to see her back at home. Irene had taken sick leave from work for the past three days because she had been feeling under the weather.   

“I won’t come home too late. Are you still feeling unwell?” Sehun then remembered his wife’s recent vomiting episode and asked his wife concernedly.

“Yes, yes, a little but Dr Kim said I will be fine. Hang on…” Irene replied hastily and over the phone Sehun heard traffic.

A hollow thud sound then came from over the receiver and Sehun figured Irene must have dropped her phone. His brows knitted together as a sense of foreboding washed over him. He waited for his wife to pick up her phone but there was a long silence. Irene was sometimes clumsy but he felt as if there was something more to this act of dropping her phone without realising it.

Then came a multitude of traffic noises; there was a distinct sound from car tires screeching, a loud crash, and finally a scream, Irene’s scream. Sehun heart raced. “Irene? Irene?! What is going on?!” Sehun ran out of his office, ran to his car, revved up the engine and drove to where he guessed Irene should have been.

15 minutes later, Sehun was still on the line. He knew that there must have been an accident but he did not know what to do. Hot, angry tears streamed down at the thought of his own helplessness.  

After a long agonising silence, a male voice came on. “Hello, hello, is anyone on the other end of the line?”

“Yes! What is happening?! Why do you have my wife’s phone? Where is she?” Sehun asked, anxious and enraged at the same time.

“Sir, calm down. I do not know if she is your wife but… a woman was hit by a car. The ambulance was here and she has been taken to the hospital.”  

Sehun’s heart sank upon those words, it was his nightmare come true.

“Which hospital?!” Sehun asked, his voice heavily laced with panic as the first of his tears stinging his eyes.

“I believe it is Gangnam Hospital…” The guy said as he tried to recall.

It is their hospital. Sehun dropped the line without thanking the man and turned his car back. 

Panic seized him and a flurry of scenes flashed past. The deal, Kai, Irene. They became a jumble of images in his mind.

Sehun received another call and this time round it was from a colleague. He pushed the receive button as hot tears streamed down his face as he listened. It was truly Irene who had been involved in a car accident while trying to save a young boy and she was sent straight to the operating theatre. The colleague was not too optimistic about Irene’s condition.  

Sehun sprinted straight to where the operating theatre should be and what he saw crushed him; two Soul Reapers were pacing restlessly right outside the operating theatre where Irene should have been. Then it hit him. There was not one but two soul reapers… two soul reaper

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter