Part 3: No Regrets

The Devil's Deal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sehun had mysteriously disappeared since the day he confronted Irene and Irene was growing more worried about Sehun’s disappearance as days went by. Their last interaction had been such a serious one and had ended not so pleasantly. It nagged at Irene that they were on the topic of finding meaning to life and the girl was afraid that the man would do something foolish. It was a scary but very possible thought to Irene.  

Also, what was odd and slightly chilling about his disappearance was that no one else seemed to miss him. In fact, it was only when Irene had brought up to the other doctors about Sehun’s disappearance that they remembered about Sehun. However, even if they did remember, it was only for a short while before they moved on to discuss about other topics. It was almost as if Sehun was an insignificant being and this troubled and angered Irene.

As Irene thought harder about her past interactions with fellow classmate intern, she realised she could not dig up anything much about Sehun's background. What was more surprising was that nobody else in their medical cohort seemed to know when she tried to ask them. That was especially unusual since the medicine cohort was so small; everybody knew everyone else.

Yet, Sehun was not associated with anyone, as much as he did not make any effort to interact with others, others seemed to not care much about his presence either. He was always sitting by himself at the campus cafeteria and classes. Sehun was unaffected by anything and always either wears his frown or stoic face wherever he goes.

Irene was once again reminded of the first time she saw Sehun in their university days. Other the frown that he always wore, Sehun was pretty tall and handsome and charming. Sehun was also extremely smart, was her competitor for grades, and always either gave off a cold, arrogant, or angry vibe. She grew sympathetic towards Sehun as she believed that he had receive no love from others and might have been depressed.  Was this the reason why he had been such an aloof and depressing character? Irene wondered.

Irene was beyond relieved when Sehun had finally reappeared for work and after her culminating worried thoughts, Irene had decided to make a difference to Sehun’s life. She had no idea how to do it but was resolute to try everything she can think of.  

During his absence, Sehun believed that no mortals would miss an immortal like him, especially since immortals were supposed to be easily forgotten by mortals. Yet, when Irene remembered and even seemed happy to see him return, Sehun was perplexed. He suspected that his time as an immortal might be up since no one was supposed to notice his disappearance. When he found out that it was only Irene who had taken extra notice, he became slightly less worried. So, it’s just Irene who knew I was gone… The immortal was nonetheless still extremely surprised that Irene’s attitude towards him had completely changed.  

Irene had on numerous occasions attempted to make conversations with the boy enthusiastically but had gotten short answers in return but that did not stop the determined girl and she continued trying. Irene often shared the same table with Sehun without any consent from him during their short lunch breaks and tried her best to make up interesting topics to communicate with him. Even though it was only her talking most of the time, she was still happy as long as she received a nod from Sehun.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter