Chapter 1

Amelioration

Day zero

WHATEVER is going on with you, Yixing, please don’t jump.”

Yixing raised his arm to brush off the tears in the corner of his eyes. He sniffled and turned around to his right to meet the voice that had spoken. Kim Joonmyeon was standing there, looking at him doubtfully but also concerned.

He had known Joonmyeon since middle school but looking at it, had rarely ever interacted together, not outside school matters at least. The only things Yixing knew was that Joonmyeon was the son of the mayor and one of the best students in their high school. He was the last person Yixing had expected to encounter here, and let alone see him in this pitiful state.

“What? I wasn’t going to,” Yixing said.

Joonmyeon’s confused expression didn’t disappear. He walked forward to stand next to Yixing. He sighed. “Oh, well that's good. Sorry, my mistake. But you were standing here on the railing of the bridge, all alone, staring at the river, on top of that crying and looking miserable… Kinda sends the wrong message.”

Yixing huffed, “This bridge isn’t even that high. Anyway yeah, I’m sad, miserable and pathetic, but don’t worry, Joonmyeon. This is just the perfect place for me to be in peace. And I like seeing the scenery from here.”

“Oh… I guess we all have our safe places.” Joonmyeon smiled at him. He had that type of reassuring smile that instinctively made one smile back. Yixing hadn’t done it, he was too disappointed with life and dejected to fall for that.

In the silence that followed, they watched as the sun began to settle. Sparse rays of sunlight hit their faces. An orange hue reflected on the water flowing. And Yixing didn’t keep weeping, which was good because he wouldn’t like to continue embarrassing himself in front of someone like Joonmyeon. Part of the reason he had come here was that if he cried at home, someone would have asked him why, and he didn’t want to say it. This bridge was on the outskirts of the town, and it was one of the few places he’ll be all alone (or so he had thought). It was also his favorite spot to come to think. He just loved to see the water and the horizon with green trees and the mountains in the distance. It was calming, and Yixing could use it right now.

“If you don’t mind me asking, why were you crying anyway, Yixing? You’re always so cheerful. This doesn’t seem to be like you,” Joonmyeon said.

Yixing sighed. Should he tell him? He didn’t want anyone to know, not everyone would understand it. Everyone was too quick to judge. Then again, he could use someone to talk to. And Joonmyeon didn’t seem like the nosy type, so perhaps he would keep the secret. “I got rejected,” Yixing muttered dejectedly.

“Man, that’s gotta hurt.”

“You have no idea. It felt… As if my whole world crumbled. Like my heart was taken out of my chest and butchered into pieces. Air slowly started to lack, and I, I almost began to cry in front of that person, but I didn’t want them to think I’m pathetic. So, after we talked, I ran away and burst out crying here… And now nothing makes sense anymore. All the colors have faded, all the melodies are out of tune, and all the savors are senseless... I’m nothing but a bereft existence!”

Joonmyeon let out a laugh. Yixing moved his head to look at him and saw that Joonmyeon seemed rather amused as if what Yixing had just said was a big joke. But Yixing wasn’t joking. He frowned and asked, “What’s so funny? I just shared the biggest pain of my life with you and all you do is laugh?”

In response, Joonmyeon laughed even more while shaking his head. “Sorry, is not that. I mean, of course, I get that it hurts. But saying your whole life has ended? Isn’t that a little overboard? Come on, we all get rejected once. It’s not the end of the world.”

“You don’t understand. I-I love him. And he… He is perfect! We would have been perfect together.”

“Nobody’s perfect.”

“But he is! He’s smart and knowledgeable about so many topics. Like whenever I asked him something he would know about it. He is the best cook beside my mom and nanai. He’s caring, generous, funny, attractive. And he has these cute doe-eyes that would make anyone weak. They look even cuter with his round frames! And those luscious heart-shaped lips, like wow. He is just… Amazing,” Yixing said, reminiscing some of the best qualities of his unrequited love. There was so much else to say, but it still wouldn’t be enough to describe him.

Joonmyeon raised an eyebrow. “And more than twice your age if I may add. You’re talking about Mr. Do, right? The bookstore owner?”

Instantly, Yixing looked away from Joonmyeon to hide his blushing face. Amid his rant, he had given away too much information. This was a small town, after all, the kind of small town in the countryside where almost everybody knew each other. Of course, Joonmyeon would have figured it out.

“Well?”

Was there even use denying it? It wasn’t like after hearing those particular traits one would think of someone else. It could only be Do Kyungsoo, the most good-looking man in town, and Yixing’s one-sided love. He nodded subtly and added, “Kyungsoo is not that old.”

“I’m pretty sure he’s the same age as your parents, Yixing.”

“So, what?”

“For starters, that would be illegal. You’re seventeen! Thank god, that man has common sense.”

“I’ll turn eighteen in a couple of months… Age is just a number.”

“Yeah, in your case, a really huge one,” Joonmyeon muttered.

“Whatever,” Yixing said under his breath while rolling his eyes. Kyungsoo had said the same. Yixing had been right, nobody would have understood the love he felt for Kyungsoo, not even the man himself. Sure, there was a twenty-four-year difference between them. It was love nonetheless, at least from Yixing’s side. Everything Yixing had said about Kyungsoo was what had caught his eyes and slowly made him fall for the man. And all those afternoons he had spent at the bookstore, he felt his love grow more and more. Too bad it hadn’t been mutual.

Today, Yixing had voiced out what he felt, and it screwed up everything because Kyungsoo had said it was better if Yixing didn’t go there for a while. But Yixing just had to say it. He had seen Kyungsoo and that newcomer in town starting to get along, maybe a little too well. His jealousy had pushed him to finally confess his feelings, months before when he had originally planned it. However, Kyungsoo had rejected him. He had said that maybe Yixing was confusing admiration for love. Even so, it was a momentary crush. A fleeting affection that would pass soon. He and Yixing weren’t ‘meant to be.’ Over time Yixing would end up loving someone else, someone most-likely closer to his age and time, someone who would love him back. And Kyungsoo had said so much else that had shattered Yixing’s heart. Yet everything had also made sense. He had cursed that Kyungsoo was so smart. After their conversation, Yixing tried to understand why they would never work out, but that didn’t mean it hurt any less. If only he had been older, or Kyungsoo younger, maybe their fate would have been different. That wasn’t the case, of course. And it left Yixing with a broken heart and an unrequited first love.

“You know I have the perfect cure to a broken heart.”

“Yeah? Is it time? Because I just heard Kyungsoo lecturing me on how time heals our wounds and whatnot, so you don’t have to repeat it.”

Joonmyeon laughed. “No, is not time. It’s something else.”

“Well, what is it?”

“You know what they say… The quickest way to get over him is to get under someone else.”

Yixing coughed. In shock, he stared at Joonmyeon, who looked amused by Yixing’s expression.

“I didn’t expect Kim Joonmyeon to be like this. And thanks for the offer but no thanks. I’m good.”

Joonmyeon grinned. “You learn new things every day. But I didn’t mean it like that, dummy.”

“Then what?”

“Instead of moping around for your very inappropriate crush every day of the summer break, why don’t you focus on being happy with someone else instead?”

“So, what? I should hang out and have fun with my friends?”

“No,” Joonmyeon said, shaking his head. “I was thinking more like with a boyfriend, you know. Someone that will make you forget about being heartbroken and instead takes you out on nice dates and all. Focus on doing fun stuff together rather than crying over some lost ‘love.’ Let someone ameliorate the situation for you.”

Yixing squinted his eyes. “A boyfriend? You’re telling me to get a boyfriend to get over Kyungsoo?”

Joonmyeon nodded. And Yixing burst out laughing. “That’s ridiculous. And bad advice. There’s no way it’ll work.”

“You haven’t tried it yet, so you can’t say that.”

“And you have?”

“No, but it could work, just as well as it couldn’t. What’s the risk in trying?”

Yixing sighed. Could that actually work? Being with someone else that’d make him ignore his feelings? Was it a wise idea to follow? Well, anything indeed seemed better than, as Joonmyeon had said, moping around for Kyungsoo. Besides, what if Kyungsoo got jealous? What if he’d change his mind and he’d said he’ll wait for Yixing to become an adult? Maybe Joonmyeon’s idea wasn’t as crazy as he thought. There was only one problem, though. “Okay, let’s suppose it works. But where would I even get a boyfriend? I have never dated before. Kyungsoo was meant to be my one and only… So?”

A devilish smirk or that was what Yixing thought, formed on Joonmyeon’s face. “Then I guess I can help you out.”

Yixing gasped. “You? You’ll be my fake boyfriend? Mr. I-have-perfect-scores-I-don’t-have-time-for-dating Kim Joonmyeon?”

Joonmyeon chuckled, “As I said, you learn new things every day. I’ll make an exception for you.”

Who was this person? Joonmyeon was undoubtedly different from what Yixing had thought. This careless, bold, image didn’t combine with his goody-two-shoes, perfect student personality, the one he showed at school. And how many times hadn’t Joonmyeon used the ‘I only focus on my studies’ excuse to reject people? Why was he offering this to Yixing? Did he want something in return? Money? Or was he doing this out of the goodness in his heart? Still, Joonmyeon was a decent guy (or that was what he seemed to be for the most part). So, he couldn’t be all that bad. And even if it didn’t end up working, Yixing could brag that he had dated the most popular guy in school. “For how long?” he asked.

“How about a month? That should be enough time.”

A month wasn’t that long, it could be bearable. However, some thoughts appeared in Yixing’s mind, and he needed to ask. “But what does it mean? Do-do you have to kiss me and all that-that?” Yixing gulped.

Joonmyeon shook his head. “No, of course, we don’t. You can draw the limit wherever you want, like holding hands for example. It’s really more about being ‘together,’ but without the physical aspect, I guess. Does that sound good?”

It sounded crazy. What was Yixing getting himself into? But the other choice didn’t seem appealing either. Well, at least they wouldn’t have to kiss. Yixing nodded. He raised his hand to shake it with Joonmyeon. “One month, right?”

“Yes. Oh, and here,” Joonmyeon said, taking out his phone and giving it to Yixing. “Save your number.”

Yixing took the phone and inserted his number. And when everything was done and settled, Joonmyeon smiled at him. This time, surprisingly, Yixing smiled back.

“By the way, what were you even doing here? You don’t live in this direction.”

“I was on my way to my safe spot. Then I came across you here, and well, I worried you were gonna commit something dangerous.”

That was odd. He and Joonmyeon could barely be called friends, yet he had worried about him? Then again, it probably didn’t mean anything. Anyone who would have seen Yixing like that would have thought the same.

“I think I’m gonna head back now, are you staying or coming?”

Going back was the wisest choice, it was already dark, and his mother would scold him if he arrived late for dinner. At least, Yixing wasn’t crying anymore. His heart was still broken, however. “I’m going with you.”

They began walking together, heading back to the town.  The moon followed their pace. The stars shone brightly in the night sky. The night breezes felt refreshing. And as they strode, Yixing wondered to himself, what had he gotten himself into? Would this crazy plan work? Would it help him ease his pain? Would it make him forget his feelings quickly? Or would it make things for the better, and Kyungsoo would pay attention to him? He hoped that at least some parts of this would work.

 

 

 

Author's note

Hey!

Well, I'm currently stuck and going nowhere with my TUM fic, but I've gotten inspired to write more Sulay high school!Aus. So... this is the result lol.

It's probably a cliché storyline, maybe random at some parts. Plus! It's slice of life! That according to Wikipedia it means "a narrative technique in which a seemingly arbitrary sequence of events in a character's life is presented, often lacking plot development, conflict and exposition, and often having an open ending." So, yeah, it's not a complex plot, rather boring I guess? Idk...

And I'm also not gonna write the whole 30 days, it's probably not gonna pass 10 chapters. But! I tend to change my mind, so we'll see~

If you decide to read more, despite how it is/will be, thank you! ^w^