Secrets Untold

Echoes of Love

A pregnant silence reigned between Jiyeon and her friends after they heard what Krystal said regarding her adoptive sister. At the back of their minds, they have one question in common - What is the situation that caused Jessica to forget Jiyeon?

"I'm sorry," said the youngest girl to break their silence. "I know it's rude to be listening to other people's conversation. But when I saw all three of you leaving my sister's room, I got the feeling that you're gonna talk about her. That is why I followed you here. Can I talk to you somewhere else? I'd like to explain my sister's situation to all of you. She's being misunderstood and I do not want that to continue happening."

The three agreed to Krystal's request. They went to the nearby café which happened to be the second branch of JiSoo Café - the café owned by Jiyeon's parents.

After having a sip of coffee, Krystal placed an old photo on the table. It's a picture of two young girls. One was her when she was six while the other one is a bit older. Upon careful examination, Jiyeon noticed that the older girl in the picture has a strong resemblance with her twin. It's like she's a carbon copy of Sooyeon.

"That's right," Krystal said as if she was able to read what's on Jiyeon's mind. "She really looks like your twin sister."

"Who is she?" Jiyeon asked.

"She's my real sister. The first Jessica Jung. This one is my last picture with her."

"Last picture? What does it mean? What happened to your sister?"

"She died because of a traumatic brain injury. It happened during our vacation in Milan. We were playing at the second floor of grandma's house when I accidentally tripped my sister. Jessi lost balance and fell down the stairs. Her head was badly injured. She fell into a coma but after two days, her body gave up. Though my parents said it was an accident, I still blamed myself for what happened to my sister. Her death is what turned me into a different person. A week after her funeral, I began to act strangely. Whenever I'm alone, I would always talk to my sister, play with her, and pretend that she's interacting with me too. In other words, I became a crazy lass. It worried my parents too much. They brought me to a Psychiatrist but the therapies did little help. Months later, during their charity work here in Seoul, they saw Sooyeon unnie. They thought that if they'll bring her home and introduce her to me, I'll be healed. That is why they did everything for your parents to relent to their request of adopting your sister."

Jiyeon, as well as her friends, remained mum. Hence, Krystal continued explaining to make them understand why Park Sooyeon needed to become Jessica Jung.

"A smile was immediately brought back to me after I saw your sister for the first time. At first, she had to pretend that she's really my sister. But later on she took steps to change me, to bring me back to reality. It was hard at first. But unnie didn't give up. She spent a lot of effort in order for me to learn to accept that my real sister is already dead and that what happened to her is not my fault. Eventually, I learned to accept the truth and to genuinely love your sister as an adopted member of my family."

"You said earlier that she didn't purposely forget Jiyeon. What do you mean by that?" Qri asked.

"It means only her mind forgot, but never her heart."

"You mean she had an amnesia?" Jiyeon asked, hoping it's not true but Krystal confirmed it with a brief nod. "W-Why? W-What happened?"

"The same reason why she's in the hospital now, except that it was worse."

"When?"

"It happened on the day she's supposed to be here to visit you and your parents. Dad accompanied her that day. They were on their way to the airport when a car collided with my dad's car. Dad acquired injuries but unnie's condition was worse. Afraid that your parents might demand to have their daughter back, my parents prevented the news of the accident from spreading. They hired the best doctors and nurses to attend to her, to prevent her from having the same fate as my sister."

Krystal paused and reached out for Jiyeon's hand.

"Unnie, your sister fell into a coma for a year. When she finally woke up, she couldn't recognize herself nor anyone. However, we often hear her say your name. When we asked her if she knows who you are, she said no and explained that she just feels a special connection to the person with your name. It took us another year before Jessica unnie was able to remember who she really is. When she learned that it's already been two years since the accident happened, she couldn't stop herself from crying. She was worried of how long you must have waited for her. Unnie wanted to write you a letter but she doesn't know where to begin. We called your parents several times, asking them to let us talk to you, but they said you do not want to talk to us most specially to your sister. That is why we stopped trying to reach out to you and just told unnie to just stay with us and focus on being Jessica. I'm sorry Jiyeon unnie. I'm sorry that we kept the accident a secret. We were just afraid to lose a member of our family for the second time. Your sister may not be related to us by blood, but we love her as much as we loved my own sister. Please forgive us. We're so sorry for our mistake."

Krystal knelt down and asked for Jiyeon's forgiveness. The latter forgave her for what she and her parents did. However, the guilt Jiyeon carries on her shoulder was never lifted. She kept blaming herself, thinking that maybe if she didn't treat her sister wrongly, the accident might not have happened.