Truth or Dare

Echoes of Love

"There is something going on between Jessica and Jiyeon. Something like a scarred relationship or maybe it's something else." - This is what keeps running on Qri and Hyomin's minds everytime they see the two being weird around each other. They want to find out what this 'something' is. They want to find out why they often see Jiyeon being cold to the one she isn't suppose to treat such way, given the fact that she introduced Jessica as her friend. They're eager to know everything and so they contrived a plan to make at least one of them talk.

"A slumber party?" Jessica clarified when she and her sister were invited to a sleep over at Qri's house. "We're having a slumber party?"

"Yes, that's right," Qri replied. "We have a long weekend ahead of us. It's perfect timing for a get together with just the four of us. Haven't you been in one before? It's common among the Western kids so I'm pretty you'd been into such gathering. It's fun Sica. We'll make sure that you're going to enjoy it. We often hold this kind of party every opportunity we get. Right Ji?"

Jiyeon just nonchalantly responded with a nod.

"So? What is your say? Are you in or out?"

Jessica was hesitant at first because Jiyeon always makes it obvious that she doesn't want her to be sticking around her all the time. But Qri and Hyomin were persistent. And it's not like she's going to a wild party so she said yes to the invitation. 

"Alright! Tomorrow be at my place at seven or eight o'clock. No need to bring foods or anything. I got everything covered."

The following day, while they were on their way to Qri's house, Jiyeon reiterated that Jessica must not do anything to blow their cover. Jessica had no choice but to comply. She love her sister so much and she's willing to do anything for her...even if it's painful on her part.

When they have all gathered at Qri's room, Hyomin began by sharing stories about her shenanigans while Qri told them her adventures during childhood. When it's Jessica's turn to share her unforgettable experiences as a kid, she told them about the adventures she never experienced at all. 

A little later that evening, while her new friends were busy discussing about a game, Jessica stole glances at Jiyeon who's sitting alone at the divan. She wants to touch her face, to whisper how much she loves her, and to tell her about the adventures she wants to share with her just like the old times. But she can only tell her more than one sentence if Hyomin and Qri are around. If they're not, she feels like she's talking a wall. 

A few seconds passed when a pillow landed on Jiyeon's face. 

"Yah! What did you do that for?!" Jiyeon reproached the prankster Hyomin.

"Nothing. Just wanted to remind you that we are on a gathering and you're not supposed to be having a world of your own. We're going to play Truth or Dare so bring your lazy down here."

"Aish! Not that game again! No matter what bottle we use for the game, it always points at me that it gets so annoying."

"Park Jiyeon." Hyomin spoke Jiyeon's name like a mother ready to reprimand her daughter. "Bring your down here right now if you don't want a taste of my shenanigans. I'll count one to three. One...two..."

Before the counting was finished, the grumpy Jiyeon did what she was told. She sat beside Jessica who giggled at how cute her sister is when she's being overpowered by her friends.

"Okay. I'll explain the mechanics of this game for the sake of our beloved Jessica," Qri said after putting a bottle of catsup in the middle. "Right here beside me are two boxes containing sets of tasks for the Dare challenge and questions for the Truth challenge. One by one, we will be spinning this bottle. If the bottle points at you, you'll be asked to choose between truth or dare. Afterwards, you'll pick a roll of paper from the appropriate box and do or answer what is written. If you will not do it, you will be punished by drinking this liquor."

Like a girl modelling for a certain product, Hyomin presented the liquor that has forty percent alcohol. As her parents' precautionary measure, Jessica is not allowed to drink alcohol that has more than ten proof. But she cannot tell Jiyeon's friends about this. Because if she will, they might ask questions that might lead her to divulging the past Jiyeon doesn't want her to tell them.

Qri was the first to spin the bottle which pointed at the unprepared Jessica. "Truth or dare?" she asked her.

"Um...truth," Jessica chose with uncertainty. She took a roll of paper from the Truth box and gave it to Qri for her to read. 

"Okay here's the question. 'Is there a secret you're keeping to your friends? If you have one, what is it?'"

"Is that question even for real?" Jiyeon reacted.

"Of course. Here. You can check it with your own eyes if you want." Qri passed the paper to Jiyeon to prove that she didn't made up the question.

A pregnant silence reigned as Jiyeon nervously waited for what her sister will say. 

"I'll take the punishment," Jessica said in a determined voice. "A secret is called a secret because it's meant to be kept. So I'm not going to share mine. Will you honor my decision?"

Hyomin and Qri really wanted to make Jessica speak up on whatever it is that she might be keeping from them. But they had to honor her decision because probably she's not ready to open up about it. They poured a liquor on the shotglass and passed it on to Jessica, who pondered on whether she should really drink it or not. 

"I'm sorry mother but I have to do this for my sister," Jessica said at the back of her mind before draining the liquor down to its dreg. 

A pang of remorse hit Jiyeon's chest at the sight of her sister going against her will. But still, her hatred defeated her because she did nothing to help her sister.

Jessica was next to spin the bottle and unfortunately, it pointed at her again. Hyomin laughed at this unfortunate event. It reminded her of the times when it was Jiyeon who used to be the unlucky one in their Truth or Dare game.

"Truth or dare?" Hyomin asked excitedly.

"Dare."

Again, another roll of paper was picked. "This one is quite simple. I'm pretty sure you'd be able to do it. Give the person at your right a tight embrace for one full minute."

That person on her right is no other than Jiyeon. Jessica floundered for a certain time until she felt two arms wrapping around her waist, pulling her close for a tight embrace. It was so far the best one minute of her life. She missed it so much. It's the kind of embrace Jiyeon always gives her whenever she feel afraid of dying in her hospital bed.

The game went on and on. At the last round, the bottle once again pointed at it's favorite victim.

"Dare," Jessica decided.

Qri and Hyomin silently read the task. It's quite 'something' so they couldn't say promptly what was written.

"What?" Jessica asked the two. "What did it say?" She reached out for the paper and read the task that was written: Give the one at your right a kiss on the lips for thirty seconds. 

Jiyeon asked Jessica what the task is but her lips were sealed with astonishment. Hence, she just took the paper from her sister. "No," she blurted while glaring at her friends. "She shouldn't."

"Why not?" Hyomin countered. "This is a game Ji. We played fair since the beginning."

"This is something so gay. Why do you even have to write such task?"

"Excuse me but let me remind you that we've written more ridiculous tasks than that in our previous games. You, in particular, loved writing such kind of dares so there's no reason for you to oppose such task. Unless you're jealous that your American friend had to kiss my cheek because of this game."

"Yah! No one's jealous here alright? I'm straight!"

"Then stop complaining and let Jessica do it."

"Fine!"

Jiyeon gathered the courage she needs and faced Jessica. She shut her eyes as she waited for her sister to do the task. But to her surprise, Jessica didn't do it.

"Just give me my punishment. I strongly oppose to the challenge as well."

Qri gave Jessica another glassful of the liquor. Before the rim could touch her lips, Jiyeon stopped her by grabbing her wrist.

"Give it to me. I'll drink it."

"No," Jessica responded, swatting off Jiyeon's hand. "This is what I have to do for you, remember?" she added in a slightly slurred voice.

Jessica slugged down the alcohol and stood up. She staggered on her way to the bathroom but she refused for anyone to assist her. 

Jessica cried as she stared at her reflection. For how long she's going to endure her twin's reluctance to accept her is something she is not certain.