Sorry

Echoes of Love

Ever since Jessica came back to Seoul, Jiyeon always coop up in her room. She only comes out when it's time to eat or whenever she needs to get something downstairs. She does everything to avoid seeing her sister which includes going home late after class. Mr. and Mrs. Park had urged her many times to treat Jessica nicely. But it's something she refused to do for them.

"Where's the American girl?" Jiyeon asked her mother who's at the kitchen making dinner. Her father will not be joining them tonight because he closes the cafés at a late hour during weekends.

"She went to the mall with her butler. She'll be back anytime soon," Mrs. Park replied.

A few minutes later, the two heard a sound of a car being parked outside. Mrs. Park stopped what she's doing and went to the frontyard to see whoever has arrived. Jiyeon followed her mother only because she doesn't want to be left alone at the kitchen.

"Hi mom!" Jessica greeted her approaching mother. She's wearing a chummy smile when she hugged Mrs. Park but it turned awkward at the sight of her sister. "Ji...H-Hi," she said in a stutter.

As expected, Jiyeon didn't say anything and just glowered at her sister for addressing her with the nickname she doesn't want her to utter. She used to love hearing Sooyeon calling her by that nickname. But the situation is different now.

"Whose car is this? Did you rent or buy this one?" Mrs. Park asked to break the awkward silence.

Jessica smiled and told her mother that they purchased the brand new vehicle. "Butler Lee was told by eomma and appa to buy one. It's their present for you and dad."

"This is a very nice and expensive car Sooyeon. I'm afraid I cannot accept this. It's too expensive for a gift."

Jessica took her mother's hands and looked at her with puppy eyes. "Mom, just accept it please. Eomma really want you to have this. She'll feel bad if you will not accept her gift. Please? For me?"

Mrs. Park heaved a sigh of defeat. The pleading eyes of her daughters is her weakness. "Okay. If you're that insistent I have no choice but to accept it. Say thank you to Mr. and Mrs. Jung for me and your dad okay?"

"Yes mom. I will."

Jessica still has something to say to her mother but Jiyeon butted in. "Mom, if you will not go back to the kitchen right now, I'm afraid something will be burning soon."

Mrs. Park gasped when she realized Jiyeon's right. She excused herself and scurried to the kitchen, leaving Jiyeon who only stared at her sister while the latter's helping Butler Lee with all the shopping bags. Jessica sure bought a lot for her family.

Once she's done bringing all the shopped items inside, Jessica returned to the frontyard to call her sister. "Ji? Mom is almost done at the kitchen. You should head back inside. It's cold out here."

Jiyeon just threw a glare at Jessica before heading to somewhere that her sister has no idea of. She never looked behind her though she knows that her sister's following her. She continued strolling the streets until they reached the public playground. When they were still young, the playground is where she used to bring her sister after school. Because she's ill, Jessica would often just sit on the grass and watch her sister play.

"Ji? Mom is...Mom will be worried if she'll find us gone. Let's go back now." Again, the only sound Jessica heard are of the engines of the vehicles passing by. "Ji? Mom will be looking for us. Let's go back now. Please?"

Jiyeon closed her eyes as anger crept on her nerves. She turned around and looked at her sister with a piercing gaze. "Stop calling my mother 'mom'," she said with lips quivering in anger. "Stop acting nice. Stop treating her and dad like you're still a part of our family. You're no longer a part of us. Do you understand?"

Jessica wanted to cover her ears to avoid hearing those harsh words from the one who once dearly cared for her. She wanted to close her eyes to avoid seeing the hatred in those expressive orbs. Jessica told herself that maybe if that didn't happen five years ago, their sisterly bond will not be broken. Jiyeon will probably welcome her warmly. She might still be addressing her as unnie even though the only thing that proves them sisters is the blood that flows through their veins. If that didn't happen, maybe Jiyeon will not mind breathing the same air as Jessica Jung - the person who used to be her sister, Park Sooyeon.

Jessica understands clearly why her twin sister hates her now. It's because of a promise that was broken. Five years ago, Jessica said that she'll pay her sister a visit. She promised that they'll spend summer together but it didn't happen. She wants to explain herself but Jiyeon might not understand. She might not choose to listen to her explanations.

"I'm sorry," was all Jessica could say.

"Sorry?" Jiyeon sneered. "You think that sorry is enough? No, Jessica. Your sorry will never be enough to erase the pain of being forgotten! I waited for you that day. I planned everything for that summer that you promised to spend with me. I prepared a gift to welcome. I was so excited to see you again but..." Jiyeon closed her eyes briefly to let a pair of tears to fall. "But you didn't come Jessica. I waited to hear something from you. I waited for you to explain to me why you didn't come but I heard nothing. And now you're here...when I don't want to see you anymore."

Jessica's tears poured down like rain after listening to her sister's words. Her once ailing heart felt heavy on her chest. It felt like it's going to burst any minute. What happened years ago was beyond her control. She shouldn't be blamed for it. She shouldn't be hated for it's repercussions. But she let Jiyeon do what she wants because it's the least she can do to ease the pain the unfortunate incident brought her sister.