Hopeful

Echoes of Love

Jessica already experienced different kinds of pain since she was a child. As a person born with a weak heart, she learned what it's like to be pricked with a needle numerous times everytime she's rushed to the hospital. She went through the pain of being separated from the people she loves the most, had a surgical knife cut through her chest during a heart transplant, and screamed in agony when the effects of anesthesia wore off post-operatively. Such excruciating experiences should have made her numb of the pain caused by Jiyeon's reluctance to accept her again. But no. It didn't because Jessica remained hurt by the way her dearest twin sister is treating her. She's so different from the Jiyeon she once knew.

"Oh my God! You look so pretty Sooyeon!" Mrs. Park applauded when she saw her eldest daughter descending the stairs, wearing the school uniform of Sirin High. In an attempt to bring back their lost bond, Jessica made the decision to extend her vacation to six months. She also decided to finish her senior high at the school where Jiyeon is going to be her classmate.

"I agree. You look like a model Sooyeon," Mr. Park seconded. 

Jessica blushed at the compliments she received. Not enough words could describe how happy she is to be seeing her real parents before going off to school. However, when her eyes met her sister's cold gaze, her bright expression immediately faded. She tried to greet her. But the cold aura emanating from Jiyeon stopped her from doing so.

"Looks like the both of you are ready to leave," Mr. Park said to break the awkward silence between his daughters. "Jiyeon, take care of your sister okay? Today is her first day in Sirin. Accompany her whenever necessary."

A hiss was Jiyeon's response to her father's request. She gave him and her mother a kiss on their cheeks before going outside, hopping at the backseat of the car Jessica bought for family use. 

"Bye dad. Bye mom," Jessica said, giving each one of them a quick hug.

"Bye Sooyeon. Call us if ever there is a problem okay?" says Mrs. Park who suddenly became worried for Jessica. She's afraid that Jiyeon might leave her sister alone to deal with her new school environment.

Jessica brushed her mother's anxiety with an assuring smile. "I'll be fine mom. Don't worry about me. I can take care of myself now. I'll see you later. Bye."

As one of his duties, Butler Lee drove the sisters to school. After a twenty minute drive, they arrived at Sirin High - one of the most famous schools in the entire country.

"Enjoy your day Miss Jessica, Miss Jiyeon," the butler said with a bow of reverence.

"Thank you Butler Lee," Jessica responded with a cheerful smile. "Be careful on your way home." 

"Yes, Miss Jessica. I'll be back to fetch you this afternoon. In case you need anything, don't hesitate to give me a call."

Jiyeon rolled her eyes at the sight of her sister being treated like a princess by her personal butler. She hates everything about her now, including her existence.

While the two were passing by the corridors, all heads turned towards their direction. They were amused not because of Jiyeon, the campus crush, but with the new girl tailing behind her. Jessica felt abashed with the attention she gained so she rushed to her sister's side and clung to her arm. Jiyeon jerked at the sudden skinship. She wanted to swat off her arm but decided not to when she saw how uncomfortable Jessica was for being stared at by everyone.

Finally, the two arrived at the room of 3-A class. It was rackety at the moment they set foot at the entrance. But the noise died down when the students saw Jiyeon with a beautiful, timid girl beside her. Jiyeon just ignored their curious gazes. She walked straight to her seat and half-heartedly asked Jessica to occupy the vacant seat on her left.

"Hi Ji!" the girl on Jiyeon's right greeted with a cute eyesmile. "Who is she?" she asked, pointing at Jessica. 

"A new classmate. Obviously," Jiyeon deadpanned.

The girl named Qri growled at Jiyeon and smacked her arm. "I'm asking for the name, stupid."

"If you're curious just ask her. I'm not in the mood for a chitchat."

Again, Qri was annoyed at Jiyeon's response. She was about to approach Jessica and introduce herself when the bell rang and their first subject teacher walked in. The latter asked Jessica to stand in front and introduce herself to her new classmates.

"Good morning. My name is Jessica Jung. I am nineteen years old and I live in the U.S. with my parents and one sister. Mom and dad lived and worked here before they migrated to California. I want to experience the life here in their homeland so I made the request of transferring to this school. I can speak Korean fluently so you can talk to me in your mother tounge. I hope we can all be good friends. That's all. Thank you."

Jiyeon sighed in relief after hearing Jessica's introduction. She mentally thanked the latter for not divulging the biological relationship that they have. When Jessica has returned to her seat, Qri and her seatmate, Hyomin, were quick to introduce themselves. They were so happy to meet her. And due to their invitation, Jiyeon was forced to eat lunch with Jessica at the cafeteria. Qri and Hyomin threw non-stop questions to the girl such as what are her hobbies, if she is currently dating, what her parents do for a living, and what are her beauty secrets. They are so fun to be with. It's obvious in Jessica's eyes that she enjoys their company.

"By the way," Hyomin said when they're done with their meal. "How did you know Jiyeon?"

Such query caused Jiyeon to be edgy on her seat. If Jessica tells them the truth, it's going to be the end of her. Qri and Hyomin will certainly bombard her with questions about the past she never once told them.