I Missed You

Echoes of Love

In a sea of people waiting at Incheon International Airport for the arrival of their loved ones or colleagues who travelled outside South Korea, there's Park Jiyeon who is wearing a sour face. She is supposed to be hanging out with her friends today but her parents dragged her to the airport to fetch her U.S-raised sister named Jessica Jung. Park Jiyeon and Jessica (born Park Sooyeon) are born at the same day with only five minutes interval. But because they have different facial features, people often have a doubt whenever they introduce themselves as twins. These nineteen year old girls got separated at the age of ten when their parents had Sooyeon adopted by the Jung family. Jessica was a sickly child. Almost every month she's rushed to the hospital due to the complications of having a weak heart. Mr. and Mrs. Park did everything they can to extend their daughter's life, until came such time that they can no longer finance her medical needs. It was hard for them to give Jessica to the Jungs. But they had to. It was their only choice to save their precious child.

The two sisters are close to each other when they were young. They were like the best of friends. So when the Jungs and Sooyeon were already leaving for America, the scene of the sisters parting ways was the most heartbreaking. Jessica never ceased to shed tears on her way to her new home, while Jiyeon refused to eat for two days and didn't want to befriend other kids. She always hoped that one day her sister will come back and that they will never have to part ways again. Jessica said this in the simple handwritten letters she kept sending regularly. But after four years, the girl stopped receiving letters. That's when Jiyeon's attitude started to change. She no longer hoped for her sister to return. Sooyeon has forgotten about me - this is what Jiyeon kept telling herself. She thought Jessica already enjoys being with the wealthy Jung family and that she doesn't want to be with her real family anymore. Yes, their café business is doing well and was expanded. Yet it's nothing compared to the multi-billion dollar business of the Jungs. 

"Are you okay honey?" Mr. Park asked his wife who shed tears after the arrival of Flight J510 was announced.

The middle-aged woman nodded as she wiped her tears with the back of her hands. "I just can't wait to see our daughter again Jun. It's been years since we last saw her. I wonder how our Sooyeon looks like now."

Mr. Park hugged his wife and comforted her with his words. Several minutes later, they were approached by a man who's dressed like a bodyguard. "Mr. and Mrs. Park?" he asked, verifying their resemblance to the couple in the picture he's holding.

"Yes, that's us," Mr. Park answered. "How may I help you, sir?"

The Korean-looking guy, probably in his thirties, smiled at the couple and stretched an arm to shake hands with them. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. and Mrs. Park. My name is Lee Myung Soo. I am the personal butler of Miss Jessica Jung."

The couple looked behind the butler to search for their daughter. There's no one there. Only a pile of bags probably belonging to her. 

"Where...Where is our daughter Mr. Lee?" Mrs. Park asked with a shaky voice.

"She's on the payphone calling Mrs. Jung to inform her that we arrived safely. She told me to go ahead and look for you. She'll be here in a minute."

Soon enough, a beautiful blonde-haired lady with a slim physique and milky white skin appeared before them. She's wearing a white ruffled blouse paired with a plaid skirt and platform sandals. Her eyes are covered with a Blanc and Eclare sunglass - a product of the fashion business of the Jungs. Slowly, she took off her sunglasses and flashed a familiar smile to the couple.

"Sooyeon," Mrs. Park uttered while looking at her daughter's brown orbs. Her tears once again rushed down her cheeks. Her heart swelled in joy at the sight of her daughter who turned into a beautiful young lady.

"Hi mom. Hi dad," Jessica greeted. The couple rushed to her side and gave her what she'd been missing for a long time - her biological parents' warm hug.

When they broke the hug, Jessica glanced at where her sister is standing. She took slow steps towards her and with the courage she barely mustered, Jessica uttered her sister's name.

Between the two sisters, it's Jiyeon who has a matured attitude when they were young. She's dependable, always by her sister's side when she's ill. She makes her a glass of milk and feeds her whenever their parents are working overtime or during weekends to earn more to finance their needs. Jessica loves her sister so much. To live a life away from her is the hardest challenge she ever faced. 

"Jiyeon..." Jessica said once more. A lump formed in while she's looking at her sister's eyes. And when she touched her face, she couldn't stop her tears from falling. "I missed you...so much," she said before hugging her tight. The latter didn't bother to return the hug nor did she try to comfort her crying sister. She didn't say a single word to her. And when they got home, Jiyeon went straight to her room without sparing a glance to the person who missed her so much.

"Don't mind her Sooyeon," Mr. Park said in an attempt to make Jessica feel better despite her sister's behavior. "Your sister's just not in a good mood because we didn't allow her to hang out with her friends today. Once she get over it, she'll be talking to you again. Don't think too much of how she treated you okay?"

Jessica nodded in understanding. But deep inside, she's worried that how her sister treated her might not only last for a day.


AN: Most of the chapters will be as short as this one