Tears

Echoes of Love

After receiving treatment, Jessica was admitted to a private room so that her condition can be monitored. She acquired two lacerated wounds on her face and she has several abrasions on both arms. There's also a cast applied on her right leg because of tibial fracture. No one dared to speak while waiting for Jessica to wake up. What can only be heard are the sounds of the monitoring machine and the sobs of Jiyeon's mother. Jiyeon had her gaze fixed on the floor. She cannot manage to look directly at her friends' eyes because of what happened while they were at the waiting area.

 

-FLASHBACK-

Qri was comforting Jiyeon when Jessica's phone rang. Since the crying girl didn't budge, Hyomin took the phone and swiped the answer button.

"Unnie," said the caller who happened to be Krystal, Jessica's adoptive sister. "I'm here at your parents' house. I had just arrived from the US. Where are you? Your butler said that you and your sister spent time at your friend's house last night. What time will you be here? I missed you. I want to see you soon unnie."

Hyomin's lips quivered at what she heard. She can't believe that Jiyeon and Jessica has something else regarding their relationship. "P-Parent's house? You...You mean Jiyeon's house?"

"Yes, your sister's house. Wait. Is this not Jessica unnie? Who are you? Why do you have her phone?"

"Um...I'm her friend Hyomin. Listen. Your sister is in the bathroom right now. I'll just tell her to give you a call later. I'll hung up. Bye." With heavy steps, Hyomin approached her friend who had just calmed down. "Give your parents a call Jiyeon," she said in a serious tone. "They need to know what happened to your friend," she added with an emphasis on the last word. 

"I...I'll do that later," Jiyeon replied. 

"No. You have to do it now," Hyomin said, gritting her teeth in anger. "Jessica needs her guardian to be here."

"Fine. I'll call her butler."

"No." Hyomin grabbed Jiyeon's phone and only returned it after searching Mrs. Park's number. "Your parents are her guardian Jiyeon. Shouldn't the sister be calling their parents in a situation like this?"

Jiyeon's eyes widened after hearing Hyomin's statement. She couldn't believe that her friend already found out the truth.

"What?" Hyomin asked, obviously disappointed at her friend for all the lies that she said. "At this rate you're still going to deny that Jessica is your sister? Is that what you still plan to do?!"

"Wait Hyo," Qri intervened. "What are you saying? Jessica and Jiyeon are sisters? Is that true?"

Hyomin didn't respond and waited for Jiyeon to confirm it instead. But the latter remained mum so she fished out Jessica's phone and searched for Kystal's number. "I'm sorry miss but I lied to you earlier. The truth is your sister is at Song Hospital right now."

"W-What? W-Why? What happened to my sister?"

"She had an accident. She already received treatment and is now admitted in a private room. Her parents probably know the address of this hospital. Please tell them to come here. Jessica needs you and her parents right now."

"O-Okay. Thank you for telling me unnie."

After twenty minutes, Krystal, Butler Lee and Jiyeon's parents arrived at Song Hospital. When they saw that their daughter is still unsconscious, Mr. and Mrs. Park approached her doctor to ask about Jessica's condition.

"Are you the patients' parents ma'am?" the doctor asked but Mrs. Park couldn't respond. 

"Biologically speaking doc, yes they are her parents," Kystal answered in behalf of the couple. "I'm Krystal, her adoptive sister. Can you tell us about her current condition?"

"Of course. Your sister is now in a stable condition Miss Jung. She's just asleep because of the sedative that we gave her prior to the operation to repair her fractured bone. We applied the cast to immobilize her affected leg while waiting for the bone to heal. She needs to stay here for at least one day to be closely monitored. If there will be no problem noted, she can be discharged tomorrow."

"Okay. Thank you so much doctor."

-END OF FLASHBACK-

 

Hyomin heaved out a heavy sigh. She approached Jiyeon and asked her and Qri to follow her at the hospital's garden.

"Now is your turn to explain yourself Ji," Hyomin prompted in a gentle voice. "What happened? Why did Jessica get separated from you and your family? And why didn't you tell us that she's your sister?"

Jiyeon's tears immediately welled up as she think of an explanation. She feels guilty about everything that had happened. 

"My sister was born with a heart ailment. Because of it, we often bring her to the hospital until came such time that my parents can no longer provide all her medical needs. Mr. Jung and his wife saw my sister's condition. They promised to help her recover but in exchange, they want my parents to let them adopt my sister. Because Sooyeon is in a critical condition, my parents had no choice but to agree to their condition. Once everything was settled, the Jungs brought my sister to California to receive treatment at a state of the art facility. While she's undergoing treatment, Sooyeon finds time to write me a letter. She told me the effects the medications had on her. She told me the series of test she went through and how many medications were given to her each day. It's scary, she said. But she endured everything because she wants to see me grow old. She wants to be able to give me a piggyback ride. She wants to go to different places with me. Sooyeon wants to live so she endured living away from us."

Remembering those difficult times for her and Jessica made Jiyeon break down in tears. Hyomin hugged her tight while Qri patted her back.

"I'm sorry," Jiyeon uttered in between her sobs. "I'm sorry that I lied to you. I just felt ignored when I didn't hear from her again after four years. We promised to meet but she never came. I thought Sooyeon has forgotten about me that's why I hated her."

Jiyeon kept asking for forgiveness until she heard Krystal, who secretly followed them and listened to their conversation. "It wasn't unnie's intention to forget you. There is something that happened that made her forget her promises to you."