Hate

Echoes of Love

Later that night while everyone is fast asleep, Jessica got up and sat on the floor near the sofa bed where her sister is sleeping. She stared at Jiyeon's face for a long time and whispered how much she misses her while another batch of tears stain her cheeks. Her head aches because of the alcohol she had to take during the game. But such pain is nothing compared to the pain of longing for her sister. She sat there on that spot until drowsiness finally paid her a visit.

On the following day, Jiyeon woke up finding two pairs of eyes looking inquisitively at her. When she rose up, she noticed Jessica sleeping soundly while leaning at the sofa bed.

"We need to talk," says Hyomin in a low voice to avoid waking their new friend. She motioned for Jiyeon to follow her and Qri at the backyard.

"Speak," Jiyeon demanded once there's just the three of them.

"We don't want to beat around the bush anymore so we'll ask you this frankly - What is between you and Jessica?"

Jiyeon hissed at the enquery of her friend. "You're asking me gay things again. When are you gonna stop assuming that I have a thing with her? I am not attracted to the same alright?!"

"Well, if you will keep on hiding the truth from us we won't stop bugging you with such kind of questions."

"So what is it Ji?" Qri followed up. "There is definitely something in the way you and Jessica look at each other that says you two are more than just pen pals. In most times you are treating her coldly. And in some occasions the two of you act awkwardly. Why? What happened with your friendship? Is it a love matter or something else is going on?"

Unbeknownst to them, Jessica was awakened seconds after they left. Curious as to where they went, she asked Mrs. Lee where her friends are. Along the way she heard that it's her they're talking about so she hid behind a wall and listened to their conversation.

"Come on Ji. Just admit it," Hyomin said. "Why is it that you're acting different around her? It's either you have feelings for her and when you confessed you probably got rejected or -"

Hyomin was cut off by Jiyeon's angry outburst. "Will you please cut the crap about me liking her?!" she said. "For your information I do not like her either as a friend or someone else. I'm actually not happy that she came here to live and study with me! I want her out of my life because I no longer want to be part of hers!"

Afraid to hear more hurtful words from her sister, Jessica ran away as fast as she can. She is not familiar with the neighborhood but she doesn't care. All she cares about is that she needs to be in some place where she could cry her heart out.

Back at Lee's residence, Qri and Hyomin were shocked by everything that Jiyeon said. 

"You don't mean that," a flabbergasted Qri stated, hoping Jiyeon will take back what she said.

"Yes, I do."

"Why Jiyeon? What did Jessica do for you to hate her? Last month's the first time you personally saw each other. In the past years you were corresponding thru letters. What went wrong in those years? How come you're hating her this much?"

"Her family is ten times richer than any of us. How can I keep up with someone like her?"

"Still it's not enough reason for you despise her. Why? Was there an occasion that she made you feel inferior? Jessica never looked down to any of us. The last time I checked she doesn't want us to treat her as an heiress of Blanc Group."

Jiyeon was about to say more to cover up the real reason why she hates Jessica. But she halted when she felt her phone vibrates. Jessica's caller ID was on the screen.

"Hello?" said the caller. 

Jiyeon knitted her brows at the sound of the caller's voice. It's not her sister. It's a man whom she doesn't know.

"Who are you?" Jiyeon asked.

"My name is Jo In Sung. Are you Miss Jessica Jung's sister?"

Jiyeon felt something foreign at the indirect confirmation that Jessica named her as her sister in her phonebook. "N-No," she replied in a stutter. "I am her friend. She just prefers to address me that way. Why do you have her phone Mr. Jo? And where is she? The last time I checked she's in our friend's room and was sleeping."

"It appears she went outside without telling you. Don't be surprise to hear this Miss Jiyeon but your friend is in the hospital right now."

"W-What?" Jiyeon almost lost her grip on the phone. Her knees started to feel weak as well.

"She had an accident. I'm the driver of the car that crashed into her. She's here at the emergency room of Song Hospital. Can you come here the soonest possible? And can you please contact her parents? I -"

Jiyeon listened no further to what else Mr. Jo has to say. She scrambled to Qri's room, changed her pyjamas, and rushed outside to call a taxi.

"Ji what's going on?" Qri asked. "Where's Jessica? Who was that person you talked to and why are you suddenly being like this?"

"Song Hospital..." said Jiyeon whose thoughts are in a muddle. "I...I need to go there now." Finally, a taxi arrived. Jiyeon hopped in immediately, leaving behind her confused friends.

At Song Hospital, Jiyeon was told by the nurses to wait at the watchers' area for Jessica is currently in the operating room receiving treatment for her injuries. She was so anxious as she patiently waited for any news from the medical team.

"Excuse me Miss. Are you Miss Park Jiyeon?" a tall, handsome man in his thirties asked. He has a dressing on his forehead and two more on both legs. 

"Yes, it's me. Who are you?"

"I'm Jo In Sung. I'm the person who called to inform you about the accident. I'm really sorry for what happened to your friend. I didn't mean to hurt her. The green light was on yet your friend crossed the street in a hurry. I tried to maneuver my car to avoid crashing on her but I wasn't able to buy enough time to do it. I'm really sorry."

"Why?" Jiyeon asked to no one. "Why would she cross the street so carelessly? What was she thinking?"

"I don't know the answer to that. But one thing I can be sure of is that she wasn't in a good state of mind when she crossed the street."

"What do you mean Mr. Jo?"

"She was crying when the accident happened."

Listening to such answer made Jiyeon believe that no one should be blamed for the accident but her. She assumed, based on the statement of Mrs. Lee that Jessica followed her and her friends to the backyard, that her sister might have heard the hurtful words that she said. 

Feeling guilt wash over her, Jiyeon fell down and cried. Mr. Jo sat beside her and gently patted her back.

"Your friend will be alright Miss Jiyeon. This hospital's medical team is the best in the city. I'm sure that your friend is in good hands. You don't have to worry about the hospital bill. I'll take responsibility for it."

A few minutes later, Hyomin and Qri arrived and took charge of comforting their friend.