Chapter 8

Serendipity

23/5

12 p.m.

He seated himself in an empty table in the cafeteria. The place was already bustling with students laughing, talking with their friends while some were doing their assignments.

He checked his watch to see it’s just about lunch time and scanned the place for her. She still hasn’t arrived yet which was good since he need the time to compose himself. Seriously.

All through last night and this morning, he kept beating himself up about his decision. He kept turning himself in bed before falling asleep at four in the morning. It’s a good thing he didn’t have a class that day.

Jaehyun glanced around again for her but still none. Putting his hood up, he put on his earpiece and listened to ballad songs on his music playlist. Feeling mellow, he laid his head on his arm as if he’s sleeping. He took the time to pretty much think about Chaeyeon.

He knew when they were first placed in the same class during high school, he already liked her which pretty much no sense to his teen self at that time. Maybe because at that time, he found that she’s the prettiest among the female classmates. She was a bit introverted but still had many friends. Added to that, she worked as a teen model and thus was popular among the students especially the male students. He still remembered that during Valentine’s days, there would be an abundance of gifts given to her from them.

One important lesson he learned from her was that behind every perfect persona, there’s always another side of a human that’s rarely shown to others. He knew of this one sunny afternoon years ago. Closing his eyes, that memory was still fresh on his mind because at that time, he got a glimpse of that other side of her.

All of the students had already gone home by then but Jaehyun haven’t because he thought he left his pencil case in the library after a group work. Passing by his class on his way, he expected it to be empty but found a female with long hair with her head on her table. He recognised who it was by her seat position near the window. When she looked up, her eyes were puffy and her nose was blotchy red as if she was crying real hard. Wiping her eyes, she gazed at the many papers and books littered around her table before rubbing her temples with an agonised expression on her face. He didn’t know what caused her to cry but it seems she was having a hard time with her studies. Added to the fact that she had really busy schedules, he concluded she had a hard time balancing both in her life.

The sight of her like at that time was a bit surprising to him because he always see her smiling and laughing with her friends as if everything was normal. A diligent and hardworking student as well, she was what people would say a model student but then at the end of the day, he summarised, she is still human and have flaws like others.

It still didn’t change his feeling towards her at that time though. In fact, he’s glad that he got a rare peek of her vulnerability side. She became really beautiful in his eyes.

Jaehyun did fight the urge to go inside and comfort her at that time lest she sees him as a creep. She was still not aware he was standing outside hidden behind the window. He stood for a couple of minutes watching her in sympathy. When she stood up, Jaehyun abruptly left not wanting her to find him.

After that incident, he pretty much kept an eye on her. Not like a stalker would but just watching out for her from afar throughout their high school years.

He smiled to himself as another memory came to him and this time, it’s on a certain gift he gave her secretly. He was pleasantly surprised that she started wearing it the next day. He wasn’t pretty much sure but it looks like the gift really helped her until now judging by the fact she still wore it. He couldn’t help himself but stared at the two accessories worn on her wrist and neck when they bumped into each other that time.

A hand slapped on his shoulder that shook him out of his thought. He turned and saw Chaeyeon smiling down at him. A cunning smile to be exact as he narrowed his eyes at her. That day she wore a white button down blouse and blue jeans. A casual outfit that he rarely seen her wore before.

“Did you wait long?” An innocuous question but Jaehyun thought he saw a glint of mischievousness and determination (?) in that eyes of her.

“Not that long.” He replied. “So…..what is it you want me to do?” Jaehyun shifted on his legs showing his nervousness as he waited for her answer.

“Follow me.” She said. She still had that smile played on her lips.

They walked out of the cafeteria and into the hall. She didn’t say anything to him. Neither was he though both were aware of each other presence side by side. After a few minute, she stopped and he saw that they were in front of the library.

“What are you searching for?” He pushed the door opened for her. Chaeyeon let out a small smile at that act of chivalry. They put their bags in their respective locker after asking from the librarian.

The university library has a two story floor filled with rows of bookshelves. The first floor was occupied for fiction books while the second floor was for the educational and non-fiction books. The library was considered the most spacious place out of all the rooms in the building that attracted a lot of the students to come though many not for the reason to study or researching. It has extensive seating and large seating area with easy access computers as well photocopy and printing facilities.

“I don’t know if the books I’m searching for are available though.” She said as she took out a small piece of paper from her pocket. She then went back to the front counter and handed the paper to the librarian who checked it out.

While he waited for her at the side, he suddenly felt the hair at the back of his neck raised. He looked back and scanned the area searching for something or someone that caused him to feel that way. Nothing. Though it was still midday and only few students were in, the place was a bit too quiet for him with only the sound of the air condition heard.

The feeling he realised, it was as if someone was staring him hard. Turning back again, he looked for the source again and still none. Jaehyun shook his head.

Maybe I’m just thinking too much.

“What’s wrong?” Chaeyeon asked as she noticed his expression.

“Ah nothing.” He hastily told her. “So are all of the books here?”

She nodded.

“Let’s go then.” He said and she led him to the second floor. Walking up the stairs, Jaehyun felt it again as if the eyes were following him. He didn’t look back and ignored it this time around.

***

Jaehyun didn’t expect the books were going to be this much as Chaeyeon perused the aisle of bookshelves with Jaehyun carrying them and trailing behind her. The book kept stacking up as they moved from aisle to aisle. It didn’t help that four of the books were really thick and heavy than the one he carried last time.

He wondered to himself if she even read or use all of these books. He felt his hands getting a bit tired.

“Okay. I’m done.” She announced. A total of seven books were in his hand. “Let’s check again.”

He’s glad that there’s a table nearby them and hurriedly put the books down while she checked from the paper. Jaehyun massaged his arms after carrying the heavy weight of those books for a couple of minutes already. If this is the kind of punishment she had in mind for him then he’s definitely doomed. His imagination was running again going through the different scenarios of what he will be doing for the next few days and all of them were not good.

Surely she’s not that evil.

He secretly took a momentarily glanced at her just as the same time she looked him. He quickly away for getting caught by her and felt his cheeks flushed. He didn’t see that a corner of lifted and she resumed back to checking the books.

“Chaeyeon?” a voice suddenly called out and Jaehyun turned to see who it was. A tall guy walked towards their direction with a smile on his face as he approached Chaeyeon.

Junhong

Jaehyun knew him. Who wouldn’t? He dated Chaeyeon a couple of months ago and then broke up not long after that. It was the talk of the campus for a while.

He noticed that Chaeyeon seemingly froze in her place, firmed and brows furrowed as if she didn’t want to face the guy.

“Junhong.” She finally turned to the guy who didn’t acknowledge Jaehyun. Feeling like a third wheel, Jaehyun decided to just observe at the side whilst pretending to search for a book in a nearby shelf.

He didn’t know what they were talking about but heard snippet from it such as “I miss you”, “I’m really sorry”, “We’re over”, “Leave”, “You don’t mean that”, “You’re crazy”. Glancing at them from the corner of his eyes and from the words he heard, Junhong seemed to be trying to convince Chaeyeon to get back with him. Judging from her tense shoulder and curt responses, she’s not even considering.

“For the last time Junhong, we’re over. I don’t want to see you anymore.” Chaeyeon raised her voice for a bit now but thankfully there’s only the three of them on the second floor.

“Look. What I did was wrong. She was the one who was on to me. I tried to stop her but she was persistent.” Junhong said.

“I don’t believe that. Just stay away from me.” Chaeyeon then turned away from him towards but not before Junhong roughly grabbed her wrist not wanting to be ignored.

“Let me go.”

“I’m not done with you.”

Chaeyeon felt him gripped her wrist hard. She tried to shake it off but he was having none of it. “Let go of me jerk.”

“Sorry but can you let go of her hand?” she heard Jaehyun’s voice as he confronted her ex-boyfriend. Though his voice was calm but she also heard the hidden anger in his tone and tense shoulder. She felt the grip on her hand released and immediately rubbed her wrist.

“Who are you?” Junhong asked as both boys stared down at each other.

“Doesn’t matter. Are you deaf? She did say to let go just now.” Jaehyun replied.

“Listen here f****r. This is between her and me. You have no business with her whatsoever. Now move.” Junhong tried to shove Jaehyun at the side but the latter didn’t budge and blocked him.

“She did tell you to stay away from her. I don’t think the lady wants to talk to you.” He looked over his shoulder at her. “Do you?”

She shook her head. “Leave Junhong before I report this incident. Next time you came near me again, I’m not going to hesitate to report you to the dean.”

Chaeyeon saw the rage filled in his eyes especially at Jaehyun who was in front of her. He then turned away. “Whatever.” He spit out and left them. She had a feeling this won’t be the last time she would see him and he would come near her again. Until then, she would be cautious around him because there’s something unsettling in those eyes of his.

“Are you alright?” Jaehyun asked her as his eyes went to her wrist.

“Yeah I’m ok. Just surprised he grabbed me all of a sudden. He was never that rough with me.” She confessed. Though there’s no bruise, she still felt that hard grip.

“Are you sure you don’t want to go to the medic centre?”

“No. I’m ok really.” She assured him though she could see he wasn’t convinced.

He pursed his lip before saying, “Well okay then. I’m sorry for not coming to you sooner. You two were having quite a conversation that I didn’t want to interrupt both of you talking.” He apologised.

She gave him a smile. “It’s alright. You didn’t see it coming as well.”

They returned back to the books before Chaeyeon said that she got all of them.

Jaehyun let out a sigh as he gazed at the books. There’s no way in hell he’s going to ask her to carry half of the books to the counter. Looks like he’s just going to accept the situation as it is. He doubted she even want to carry the books anyway he silently thought. What’s the point of him being there anyway?

They made their way downstairs with Jaehyun being careful with his steps. After the books being stamped, they took their bags and exited the library.

“Am I going to carry all of them all the way back to your place?” He questioned. If he is then, it’s going to be quite a walk.

“Do you want to?” she gave him a knowing smile that also let him know that she knew his way to her apartment area even her address.

He didn’t answer and Chaeyeon let go of that but soon she’s going to ask him. “Let’s go. I’m meeting someone.” She said.

He heaved and adjusted the books in his arm before following her. Along the way, his mind went back to what just happened at the library. He didn’t know what came in to him but the moment he saw Junhong grabbed Chaeyeon’s wrist tightly, he was seeing red for the first time and nearly acted on the urge to punch the guy in the face hard which shocked him because he never felt that much anger inside him before. At the last moment, he willed himself back and diffused situation calmly.

It looked as though the guy wouldn’t go down without a fight from the way he just stood and glared at them however in the end, he walked away. Jaehyun let out a sigh of relief at that.

He didn’t know where she’s leading him to but hope it’s not really that far. They were outside now walking towards the university dorm building before she stopped at the lobby area and messaged someone on her phone.

He adjusted the books in his arms feeling a bit sore and waited for whoever it was she was supposed to meet.

“Are you okay?” she asked.

He nodded. He heard footsteps going down the stairs and a short girl with her hair tied in a ponytail came.

“Chaeyeon-ah.” The girl called out.

“Chungha unnie. I got the books you asked for.” Chaeyeon told.

“You found all of it?” her eyes lit up as she grinned widely.

“Yes. It was hard to find them at first actually.”

“Thank you so much.” Chungha said before turning to him as she realised he was there carrying all the books.

He just gave her a smile and noticed that Chungha raised her brow to Chaeyeon who just gave her a knowing smile.

Chaeyeon handed three thick books to her friend. He was relieved the weight was taken off from his arms.

“Thank you again Chaeyeon. Are you going back home now?” Chungha asked as she too adjusted the books in her arm just like he did. Jaehyun couldn’t help but ask himself if she can carry all those three books upstairs.

“Yeah. I have a schedule later at 5 though.” She told.

“I see. Well I’ll see you later back at the apartment.” With that she went back upstairs.

“Where are we going next?” Jaehyun asked again at her.

Instead of answering his question, Chaeyeon tilted her head as she looked at him as if studying him for quite a while. He shifted on his weight feeling uncomfortable by her sudden scrutiny on him. All of a sudden she broke out into that cunning smile again.

He gulped.

“Nowhere. You are done for today anyway. Thank you for your help back at the library and carrying the books.” She replied and motioned for him to pass the last four books to her.

He eyed the remaining books. He was not in a rush to go back anyway so might as well help her some more. “It’s alright. I can carry the books back to your place.”

“Oh? Still want to spend time with me eh?” she teased.

That really caught him off guard and for the second time that day, his cheeks turned red. “N-no. I-I just thought that….uh….” he trailed off as he didn’t know how to explain to her without embarrassing himself in front of her.

She shook her head, a smile teasing her lips. “It’s fine. I’m heading back with my friend Nayoung today.” He gave her the books with three of them she placed inside her bag.

She then gave him a taunting smile this time. “You did well for your first job. Expect more to come yeah?”

An uneasy feeling coursed through him at those words but he didn’t show it. He briefly nodded at that as if in agreement when in fact he’s not. They walked back to the main building before saying goodbye to each other.

Jaehyun wondered, as he walked home, what the next couple of days in stored for him. He only knew that there’s going to be a lot of errands given to him but what about the aftermath of it. That is the end of the week and she confronted him about that presents from him.

He sighed to himself.

If he’s being honest with himself, he actually didn’t mind the one week being a servant to her. Though he may looked like he dreaded it at the beginning especially with yesterday phone call, but when he think about, it gave him the chance to be close to her and learned about her. Something he wished for secretly all those years back in high school. Then maybe, by doing this also, he can finally find out what his real feelings towards her at the end of the day.