Chapter 16

Serendipity

4/6

10 a.m.

She had been awaked for quite some time but didn’t make any move whatsoever to get up. Just lying down on the comfort of her bed and stared at her white bedroom ceiling. It’s nearly a week since that incident occurred and Chaeyeon become more and more depressed day by day feeling guilt-ridden and scared. She was scared on what his reaction would be when he sees her since she started this whole mess.

She had been holed up in her apartment and purposely avoided visiting him at the hospital. The first few days after the event, Nayoung and Chungha kept coming and persistently persuade her to go and each time, she refused. Chaeyeon knew they meant well but she really just wanted to be left alone with her thoughts.

She didn’t even go to work and requested some time off from her manager who reluctantly complied. Since then she had been lazing around the house from surfing the channel and just eating takeout foods. She also didn’t attend her lectures for the first two days fearing that the whole campus heard about the incident and started gossiping. When she did went to her class, she heard only snippets of people gossiping and caught several glances aimed towards her but for the most part, she ignored them.

Her two friends, Nayoung and Chungha had stopped persuading her and Nayoung ended up eating with her and Chungha every night. Though she didn’t ask, they directly volunteered to tell her about Jaehyun’s condition since they visited him every day and Chaeyeon would just listened feeling relief he’s recovering day by day.

During her time in self-exile, she also took her time to pretty much think about her feelings about Jaehyun. She didn’t know when the L word had come to the formula but it did. The first time she realised it, she was scared but at the same time, she recognised the same warmth she had been feeling whenever he was near or when they kissed. Maybe she did fell in love with him all along but she just thought it’s just a case of infatuation and attraction. It didn’t help that his friend blurted out that Jaehyun actually had a crush way back when they were still in high school. Something she still found herself smiling. He was an all-around sweet guy and treated her not as if she was something of a possession though she wouldn’t say the same to him. He’s clearly as a day is hers and hers only. Yes she just realised she’s a possessive kind of person when it comes to him.

Although that was the case, she didn’t know if the L word applied to him as well which made her immediately despondent by the uncertainty of it.

the necklace, she traced the words engraved on it. It was really sweet of him to give her the two gifts she currently wore.

She blew out a breath and got up from the bed to take a shower. All that thinking didn’t help her much at all. Since she had class in the afternoon, she might as well have breakfast with her two friends. It didn’t do her that much good just thinking all those thoughts in bed.

She was about to go to Chungha’s room when heard voices outside. She went out to see only to see Chungha, Nayoung and Johnny in the apartment with the latter carrying plastic bags in his hands. His presence still came a bit of a question to both Chaeyeon and Chungha. One thing they knew was that he was friendly and was close with Nayoung even though he had only just stayed at the apartment building less than a month.

“Good morning Chaeyeon. Come on let’s eat. ” Chungha said and opened a box which contained an array of colourful donuts. On the tables there were already several cups of coffee including her favourite strawberry latte. She smiled to herself as she just remembered a memory of someone who was late and practically running to her with a strawberry latte in his hand miraculously without spilling anything.

She seated herself and took a sip of the drink before grabbing a donut. She watched as Johnny seated himself and handed something to Nayoung who took it absentmindedly.

He too grabbed a donut before asking the girls “What time is the hospital visitation?”

Chaeyeon stilled and munched her donut slowly trying not to let him see his question affected her a bit.

“Ah sorry but Jaehyun was already discharged today.” Nayoung told him.

That got Chaeyeon’s attention and she whipped up her head to look at her friend.

“What?” she inquired.

“Yeah. The doctor discharged him seeing that he’s well and all but he still need a bit of help back at home. That’s where his parents and friends came in. They’ll be with him to tend to his needs and wants.”

“Oh” she nodded and swallowed down the remaining donut in her hand. To say she was disappointed was an understatement. There were times during the past few days that she secretly hoped he would call or message her but none came and she would go to sleep feeling a bit broken hearted.

The four of them chatted for a while before Johnny excused himself to attend to some matters.

The moment he left, Chungha and Chaeyeon started questioning Nayoung about the nature of her relationship with Johnny with the latter kept denying and insisting they were just friends. Both girls beg to differ. They witnessed first-hand when Johnny kept obliging with Nayoung’s request and smiling at her during the kidnapping incident.

When their friend still kept insisting on the same answer, both girls dropped the topic for now anyway.

“Before I forgot, I’ll be having a sleepover at Nayoung’s place tonight. We both have to be early at uni tomorrow and we’ll be riding with Johnny who’s going to send us.” Chungha informed her roommate.

Chaeyeon thought long and hard if there’s any upcoming event that she had missed on the noticeboard at campus.

“Don’t worry Chaeyeon-ah. I just need some help from Chungha and it’s kind of an event that definitely needs her expertise. I haven’t even updated about this event on the noticeboard yet.” Nayoung said.

“Ah I see.” If it required Chungha’s expertise, could it be the event would be something related to dancing since she worked as a part time choreographer at a nearby dance studio?

Nayoung and Chungha silently high fived under the table knowing their plan was put in motion starting tonight.

What Chaeyeon didn’t know was that there’s no such event happening anytime soon at campus but Chungha wasn’t lying about the sleepover part because later there’s a surprise waiting for her roommate and her presence might came as an obstacle. Hence the temporary sleeping arrangement.

What they were about to do won’t hurt their friend.

Much.

***

5/6

7 a.m.

He’s here and he’s sleeping on a chair next to her bed. He wore a white shirt with shorts on and his head tilted to the side. He shivered a bit practically from the cold air blasted from her air conditioner but still slept through it.

Chaeyeon didn’t know if she was dreaming or if her imagination was running early in the morning considering she had just woken up. Whatever it was, she didn’t care because it really felt a long time since she had gazed upon his face and she was in bliss for a moment just seeing him.

He looked well, she thought.

She could see the bandage wrapped around his torso from the white shirt and wondered if the wound had already closed up by now. The cuts on his face were not visible unless seeing it up close.

I’m glad.

She sighed. She still felt a bit drowsy and her eyes threatened to close on her but she fought it, wanting to just stare at him even if in the end he’s just a figment of her imagination and the next time she woke up again, he’s gone.

This time, she allowed the sleepiness got through her and smiled herself to sleep.

“Must be a nice dream” someone said.

She heard and recognised the voice instantly which awoke and made her sat up on the bed. Her eyes widened and her jaws dropped.

He really was here and he’s not her imagination at all!

“Hey Chaeyeon”

***

Even with the tousled hair and bare face, she still made his heart fluttered and he hoped it stay that way for a long time. He had a feeling it’s going to be that way every time with her.

It amused him that the moment she heard his voice, that instantly woke her which surprised him because he didn’t actually think she heard his comment and was going to leave the room to surprise her at her living room. It was his plan all along that he came up with her friends. Since Chaeyeon was not going to visit him, he might as well go to her.

“W-When? H-h-how did you get in?” she stuttered still apparently shocked by his presence in her room.

“Your roommate. I asked her to give me the key and before you go off, I only entered just now.” He told her.

They stared at each other before Jaehyun shifted his attention downward towards the two accessories she wore. A smile curved on his lips and he had a good feeling, it was going to be alright with the two of them.

She followed his gaze realising what he was looking at. However she wasn’t prepared by the question that came from his next. “Why didn’t you come?”

She didn’t answer and just looked down on her pajama suddenly finding the pattern interesting whilst also purposely avoiding his question. It was too soon and she’s not ready to answer just yet.

He dragged the chair even closer to her bed knowing that his question was going to be left unanswered. She stilled at the proximity.

“Chaeyeon, if you think for one second that I blame for all of this, don’t. I never thought of it. If you must know, I practically do this upon myself. You warned me and so was everybody else but I bluntly ignored it.”

She bit her lip and then said, “That may be true but you could have avoided it by staying away from me just like he asked.” She still didn’t look at him.

“I could have but I don’t want to. This is what I signed up for.”

That answer apparently surprised and she finally looked at him. “What do you mean?”

“Truth?”

She frowned at his question but gave him a nod.

He started. “I told you already before this. The messages started to come even before we got really close with each other when Junhong spotted us in the library. I received the message that very night and didn’t think too much of it but then as you know it became more and more threatening the more we spend more time together and got really closer. I knew the danger I was in and you even saw me being the stubborn person that I am not wanting to report it to the police. Don’t you get it? I didn’t want to stay away from you because frankly I actually enjoyed my time with you and if I’m going to be honest with you, I realised it now that a part of me accepted your proposition because I really wanted to get to know you more though I didn’t see it that way at first” She saw the blush that formed as he diverted his eyes away from her.

“I think you know that Taeil hyung actually spilled that I had a crush on you back in high school which is true. You were really beautiful back then and still do actually.” He gulped knowing the next words that come out from his mouth. “What I’m trying to say is that my feelings for you changed the more time we spend together. I think you understand what I’m trying to tell you don’t you?” He turned and looked pointedly at her.

His eyes conveyed the same hidden message and feeling as hers. A huge wave of relief swept over and all of her dark thoughts simply vanished.

Then his expression turned solemn, “At that last moment when I thought I was going to die, my one regret out of all was that I won’t have the chance to confess my feelings to you. I actually didn’t expect I would survive through the stabbing and trapped in a fire.”

“I’m sorr-“ she started apologizing again which made him shook his head. Did the woman ever listen?

“Stop apologizing. I told you already. I don’t blame you for all of it.” he reminded her. Jaehyun then stood up and kneeled next to her on the bed whispering to her the three letter words. He couldn’t contain it anymore as he had already made a promise to himself to utter those words to her.

The next he knew he was pulled down on the bed with her and felt her body was trembling only to realise she was crying as she clutched her hand tight on his shirt.

Jaehyun shifted his position on the bed being careful with his bandage making them laid on the sides. He hugged her close to him sensing that she had been bottling up her emotions over what happen to him. Maybe he shouldn’t have mentioned that last part he thought he wasn’t going to live.

Several images fleeted to her mind on that day and he quickly shook his head to put a halt in it. He’s not going to think of it anymore.

He held her like that for quite a while, comforting and giving her words of assurance which did calmed her somewhat when her sobbing and trembling ceased and turned to sniffle.

Gazing down at her, he saw her staring up at him silently as if in wonder.

“What is it?” he asked.

She shook her head smiling and snuggled up at him. Now this was pure bliss to Jaehyun and felt he’s now really in heaven. It didn’t actually enter his mind until a moment ago that he was actually in the same bed as Chaeyeon in her room. A tint of red came on his cheek as he thought of the sudden revelation. He never dreams this would happen and could feel his heart beat a little faster than usual.

“I’m just glad you’re safe and here with me.” She said closing her eyes. In his warm embrace, she felt safe and secure.

He tightened his hold on her telling her that he too felt the same way. Being here with her, he wouldn’t trade it for anything because he finally got to be with the person who he thought was out of reach for and didn’t have any chance with. When he thought back, it really does make him a bit of a fool for pining someone that long when he should have moved on. He did at one point but wasn’t successful. He was left with more confused feelings about her.

Her breathing told him that she had fallen asleep on him and he shifted so he can go under the blanket with her. Comfortable, he stayed awake staring outside as the sunlight entered through her blinds engulfing the room with its ray of sunshine. He felt happy and blessed because he got to be with the person he wanted and loved all these time.

Fate sure had a twisted way to lead Jaehyun to her. Though their first meeting with each other might not be what he expected but in the end, things worked out quite well for both of them. He knew for sure this time he’s not going to let go of this feeling and her.

Kissing her forehead, he too closed his eyes and slept peacefully for the first time in a while.

***

3 weeks later

25/6

12 a.m.

He heard the front door opened with a click and got up from the couch. He yawned and sauntered to the doorway languidly. He was still a bit drowsy but could clearly see her taking her shoes off.

“You’re late” Jaehyun said rubbing his eyes.

She smiled sheepishly at him apologising “Sorry. There was a bit of traffic on the highway plus you know how it is with my line of work.” She kissed him on the cheek.

He nodded understanding fully well that with her kind of profession, her schedules are jam packed. He knew what he was in for when he got in a relationship with her but as long as both of them could find the time with each other, it was fine with him.

She took her jacket off before slumping on the couch. He hung her jacket on a nearby chair.

“I told you not to wait for me.” She reminded him.

“I know. Have you eaten?” He asked purposely ignoring her memo to him. She did say that to him but he didn’t mind waiting for her.

“I did eat but not much. I’m still hungry.” She wailed. Chaeyeon could practically hear her stomach grumbling.

“Then I’m glad I made some for you. Let me reheat it for a sec.” He got up and went to the kitchen.

And this is why Chaeyeon fell more in love with him each day (and night). She watched silently as he got busy in the kitchen.

It’s been a month since that incident had passed and so many things had happened. First, her ex-boyfriend Junhong was sentenced to prison where he wouldn’t be out for a couple of years. She made sure of that when she told her cousin of that. The fury on his face when her cousin Bogum, who had convicted Junhong brought a huge satisfaction to her. He won’t be harming anyone else anytime soon.

Secondly, Kun, Jaehyun’s friend who helped them through the whole ordeal even though he was on the opposite side of the continent, was thankfully not charged with anything which brought a huge relief to Jaehyun because he thought his friend was going to jail for what he did. However, Kun was given a warning not to do it again which he obliged

Thirdly, her relationship with Jaehyun was going quite well which really surprised her. One thing she learned about him was that the guy really had a lot of patient in contrast to her (sometime) impatience tendency. Even when she ranted at him sometime because of work or people, he would just listen to her.

Even now when she came home late several times, he didn’t complain or got angry with her. Speaking of home, they decided to not live together but would sleep at each other place on occasion only. Currently she’s staying at his place. When the news of their relationship reached the campus, there were quite a talk but for the most part, both of them ignored it. Another thing she learned was that he can cook really well. This was a nice change to her because before this, she’s usually the one cooking for two.

Who wouldn’t like it when a guy cooked for his girl?

“Food is ready” he announced..

“Thank you for the food” she said as she sat down on the dining table. He sat on opposite of hers. While she ate, he filled her in on his day. He told her that Ten had been thinking of joining a dance studio as a choreographer but still haven’t decided yet. When he mentioned the name of the studio, Chayeon was surprised to learn it was where Chungha worked and that Ten danced

“That’s where Chungha unnie worked. Ten know how to dance?” She asked surprised at the latter one.

“Yeah but he hasn’t dance since entering uni. Maybe he did like Chungha noona after all.” He joked as he remembered when Chaeyeon pointed out to him that Ten like Chungha but Jaehyun actually didn’t believe it until now.

“He does like her you know. I saw it for myself but I don’t know how Chungha unnie feel. She hasn’t dated anyone as far as I know. Her last relationship was two years ago.” She said.

He told her some more which made Chaeyeon smiled. She liked how he told her things about his day and asked about hers by the end of it. Also a nice change in her relationship because it showed that he actually cared how her days went no matter how ty it was.

When she had finally finished all the food, he told her to get into the shower while he cleaned it all up.

By the time she finished showering and dressed to bed, Jaehyun had already fallen asleep. Settling comfortably on the bed, she snuggled next to him like she did every night.

On random moments, Chaeyeon found herself smiling because at this point, she’s perfectly happy and content with her life especially now that he’s by her side. She hoped it would stay this way with him for a long time.