Chapter 1

Serendipity

4/4

01:57 p.m.

“Aish!! I’m going to be late.” Chaeyeon glanced at her watch as she frantically ran to the next building.

This is all Junho’s fault. The photographer for the modelling shoot she did this morning weren’t really satisfied with the many shots he took of her. Every time he did, there would be an unsatisfied look on his face even though his staff and Chaeyeon loved it.

They had to take many reshot until he was satisfied. She had worked with him for two years and she always dreaded it when he wants her as his model for his next photo shoot. Nevertheless she still agreed to it every time even if it’s putting up with his behaviour. Chaeyeon can’t deny that the man has eyes for discovering models online including her and paving a way for them in the modelling world though she considered this job pretty much as a side job for her to make money.

For today shoot, something was clearly on his mind because usually her shoot with him last for 5 hours but this time it was more than that. It’s also because of that she was late for her afternoon lecture and her manager forgot to mention it to Junho’s staff about it. She finished at half past one and she had class at two. Thankfully the uni was not that far but still the lecture room was a bit far.

Chaeyeon kept looking at her watch as the second ticked by and mentally cursed her manager for being so forgetful and the lecture room for being so far at the next block and on the second floor. She didn’t stop running even when she reached the top landing hence didn’t see someone carrying a heavy load of books and the wet floor sign put near the stairs.

She immediately halted but that only made her lose her balance and her legs giving away. She tried to maintain her balance to no avail and the next thing she knew she fell hard on the ground. Pain shot on her right ankle. On top of that several of the books fell on her literally when she bumped into it the last second.

Could the day get any worse? She thought as she held on to her ankle and grunted. Thankfully the hall was empty so no one saw her.

“I’m sorry. I wasn’t looking just now. Are you okay?” a male voice asked her and she instantly glared up at him.

She was met with a pair of black eyes wearing glasses and brown curly hair looking worriedly at her. Somehow she saw a brief flash of recognition from him by the way his eyes widened a bit but that’s impossible because she doesn’t know who he was.

“I’m really sorry but are you alright?” he asked again and then looked down where her hand was holding to. “Did you twist your ankle? Come on. I’ll take you to the medic center.”

He was about to help her but she stopped him. “No it’s fine. I just twisted it a bit.” She tried to get up but the pain was unbearable and she sighed tiredly. “Great. Not only am I late for class now I have a twisted ankle. You should really watch where you’re going next time. What the hell made you carry all those books by yourself?” She burst out angrily and didn’t care if someone heard her.

“I’m sorry.” He apologised again and looked miserable for causing the injury on her.

Good. He deserved it.

Before she could even try to get up, the guy pulled her up carefully and slowly. She didn’t say anything to that and stood limped for a bit.

Chaeyeon saw that he still held her hand and was looking at her silver bracelet band for quite a while. Then he released it and now his eyes were on her neck which had her silver necklace. It was quiet for a moment before he broke the silence.

“Are you sure you don’t want to check that ankle of yours at the clinic? I’m really sorry again by the way. I’ll do anything. Let me make it up to you.” He hastily said.

By now Chaeyeon was feeling annoyed and worn out already by the day. She managed to calm herself down and already accepted that she’s late to class anyway.

“It’s fine. I really have to go now.” She said not wanting to deal with him. She walked slowly towards her class. At the rate she’s going, yeah she’s now praying she didn’t get an earful from the professor for today lecture. Even if she told him the reason for her lateness, it’s still her fault.

The guy just stood there staring behind her back for a couple of minutes before picking up the scattered book. He didn’t press her more just now with the way she’s acting cold towards him.

He knew who she was before they even came to study here. Though he doubted she knew who he was let alone exist before this until just now.

He sighed to himself as he picked up the pile of books scattered to the floor. He let out a small smile as he suddenly remembered a fond memory from four years ago.

***

“All done now. Thankfully it wasn’t that swollen much. You should get that ankle rested and that means not much physical activity involved. I do recommend you to apply ice to it every now and then but for the most part just rest.” Nurse Jihyun said as she finished bandaging up Chaeyeon’s ankle.

After the lecture ended, Chaeyeon with Nayoung went to the university health centre with Nayoung piggybacking her friend. Fortunately the centre wasn’t that far from their block and along the way they did attract quite a few looks from the other students. Chaeyeon really had to hold in her groan as the pain become even more unbearable.

When they arrived, nurse Jihyun immediately attended to them seeing that Chaeyeon was barefoot on one leg.

Chaeyeon nearly screamed when the nurse apply ice pack on her ankle for a few minutes trying to reduce the swelling and then massaged it a bit before wrapping a bandaged on it.

“How long do you think it will heal?” Nayoung asked.

“Considering the swelling I would say maybe a week or two.” Jihyun replied.

Though she was listening, Chaeyeon’s mind was on her schedule for the following week. She didn’t remember if she had any shoot and if she did, she would have to negotiate it with her manager considering her condition right now and it wasn’t good.

“Take it easy Chaeyeon and don’t stress yourself. Can you walk? Or should I get the crutches for you?”

She really didn’t want to walk on crutches. “Is there any other way beside crutches?”

“Well there is. We do have an ankle braces. Are you okay with that?”

Chaeyeon nodded and the nurse went to get it.

“How is your ankle now?” Nayoung asked her.

“It’s a little better but still hurt.” Chaeyeon rubbed her ankle and flinched.

“Can you really walk without the crutches? I’m worried how you are going to eat or even go to the toilet.” Nayoung expressed her concern.

Chaeyeon smiled at that. “Unnie you just lived one level below and I have Chungha unnie with me. Eunjin just lived next door. Plus I have this thing call a mobile phone and I can order my food anytime. Don’t worry too much.” She comforted her friend.

Nayoung bit her lip as if not convince enough but concede. “Well if you say so. Just call me if you need anything and don’t stand up if I came. I have the keys with me.”

Chaeyeon knew that because her friend is the granddaughter of the landlord of the apartment she’s currently renting with Chungha, Sejeong and Kyulkyung (who’s currently back in China to settle some family matter).

Jihyun returned with the brace and put it on her patient.

Chaeyeon stood up and walked around the room for a bit. The pain was still there but bearable.

Both thanked the nurse and left the centre.