Chapter 4

Serendipity

20/5

5 p.m.

“Please Jaehyun. I know it’s a last minute thing asking you do this but do it for me please.” Joohyun or Irene as she liked to be call, pleaded with him on the other side of the phone.

“I don’t know noona.” Jaehyun frowned as he thought of what she said to him just now. He didn’t expect this call from her much less what she’s asking him to do. Sure they still contact each other every now and then as both used to live in the same neighbourhood when he was small and have grown close ever since she saved him from bullies in a playground incident when he was in middle school. She was older than him by six years and had helped him searched for an apartment while he’s attending university.

Currently she worked as a photographer for a well-known fashion magazine called Venus.

“Surely you’re still insecure about that body of yours?” He heard the disbelief in her tone as she asked that.

“Well no. It’s just that-” He trailed off. He wasn’t even thinking about his body but….

He heard her sighed and could practically imagined her rolling her eyes. “Come on now Jaehyun. It’s been years already. Many people tackle body issues by not caring what others said to them.”

It’s his turn now to roll his eyes like she didn’t get it. “Well those people aren’t ask to model for a magazine not to mention have to expose their body for the world to see.” That was what she had asked him to do. The thought of baring his body made him grimaced. He took off his fake glasses and rubbed his eyes tiredly.

“Do you really think I didn’t know that you had been working out? The last time we met you had lost quite a lot of weight even though you wear those baggy clothes.” Irene pointed out.

Busted

“How did-?”

“I can tell. You can’t hide anything from me Jaehyun-ah. I know you all too well.” She simply told him.

“But still noona” Just as she said, he did work out and lost quite a weight because during his second semester, he realised his stamina was getting low when he played basketball with Ten and their other friends. He got tired fast and felt his body weak. That basketball incident plus a visit to the doctor, immediately motivate him to start eating healthily and exercising.

“Jaehyun are you there?” Irene asked but he didn’t hear her as his mind wandered.

The reason he didn’t want to take up on what she’s asking because well he’s not model material to start with. He doesn’t even have that exotic look or muscular frame male models use to flaunt on the magazines. He’s just plain Jaehyun who had pale skin and quiet around people. The result from his exercises though did make him lean and physically fitter.

A horn sound suddenly was blared to his ear that nearly made him deaf.

“What was that noona?” He asked her annoyed that she did him that.

“Good. You’re back. Tell me this first then. Why won’t you do it?” She asked him the main question he’s afraid to answer without her rolling her eyes again at him exasperatedly.

“I’m not a model to start with noona.” He admitted even if it’s a bit lame that reasoning. “Second, I don’t want people in my school found out I posed for a famous magazine. They’re probably going to laugh or made fun of me.” He was mostly afraid of the latter one.

“Really now? Jaehyun-ah not all models were born with that perfect body or looks. I’m sure some that I had a shoot with struggled also with body issues growing up or thought before they were discovered, they don’t have that model quality. They worked hard also just like you to achieve that perfect body of theirs. If it’s make you feel better, the shoot is going to be about the female model and the male model, which is you, is just an extra. Your lower face and body are the only things that are going to be seen. So relax already.” She persuaded.

He sighed in relief at the last part but he was still curious though. “Why did you choose me noona?”

“The male model that we have a schedule with got sick at the last minute. We were scrambling to find the ones we did shoot with before but they were all so busy until I show your picture to my editor. She immediately approved. Sorry about that Jaehyun. I was left with no choice but to show that pretty face of yours.” She confessed apologetically.

No wonder. “Okay noona. I’ll do it for you. I expect something in return by the way.”

She squealed. “Yes. Thank you so much. I’ll pay for your meal next time.”

“Who am I going to have the shoot with?” he asked one final question.

“It’s a surprise. Just come early tomorrow say 7 a.m. You will know who she is and trust me you won’t be able to keep your eyes away from her.” She told him playfully.

***

“Thanks for agreeing oppa.” Chaeyeon thanked her cousin Bogum on the phone.

“It’s no problem. I’m taking a leave from work right now so I have nothing to do for the next one month.” Bogum replied and asked “Are you sure your manager okay with me sending you tomorrow?”

“Yes. I told him you will be my one day manager for tomorrow also and he agreed right away. He had a sudden family emergency. I can’t reject this opportunity given to me from one of my favourite magazines plus they’re going to do a cover on me as well.” She practically can’t hold in her excitement and happiness. When she had received the call two days ago, she didn’t hesitate and said yes without thinking much.

A month had passed since that incident and Chaeyeon had practically put him at the back of her mind since she was busy with her assignment and work.

Hopefully one day they meet, she’ll thank him.

“I see. What time is the shoot?” her cousin asked and she told him according to the schedule.

Chaeyeon went to sleep early that night feeling elated for tomorrow’s shoot.