Chapter 10

Serendipity

26/5

“Another blind date?” Irene raised her brow to the guest sitting in front of her table who was nodding and grinning widely with a glint in her eyes.

Uh- oh. Not good.

She knew that look all too well from her friend Seulgi. She should have told her assistant to not let this particular person enter her office earlier and with good reason behind it. Irene was checking on her calendar when her friend suddenly barge in. Her preferred way of entering she said. No knocking on the door or messages to her whatsoever.

“Are you going to come? Please say yes.” Seulgi intertwined her hands into those of begging with an enthusiastic nod hoping her friend would agree.

Irene was undeterred however. “Do you remember what happen the last time I went to this blind date of yours?” It was still fresh in her mind. At first the date went smoothly. He treated to her pretty much everything she asked for. It helped that he was good looking but along the way, while they were walking along the street, he suddenly apologized to her and ran back. She was left confused by his behaviour before she heard some sort of scuffle from the direction he headed to. To her shocked, he was punching a guy who then fought back against him until a woman who was with the guy intervened. Not later than that, the police arrived and arrested the two people. Irene didn’t check upon him after that and thankfully he didn’t call back.

“Aw come on. It was only one bad date and for your information, if you’re wondering, that last date of yours saw his ex-girlfriend with her new guy and got jealous. She broke up with her ex because she found someone else.” Seulgi told. “His friend told me he was ready to move on that’s why I arranged him with you but I guess he’s not that ready to see her with another guy.”

“So are you going for this one unnie?” Seulgi persistently asked. “It’s just one bad date plus the ones I arranged before this for you were doing great. I wonder why you didn’t go out with them again.” She wondered.

Even if that last one wasn’t a disaster, Irene would still not go with the guy again and the ones before him. She admit that most of them were decent and good looking to boot and treated her like a gentlemen would but the problem was, she didn’t feel that sparks or connection with any of them.

“So what do you say unnie?” Seulgi asked again. Though she appreciated her friend for doing this, she needed to stop as she doesn’t think she really had that time to date anyway considering her schedule for the next few months.

“I’m going to reject this one Seulgi and you should stop now with this blind date of yours. I’m packed for the next two months. I don’t think I can do it anymore but thank you anyway.” She stated to her friend.

There was a pause between them before Seulgi confessed, “Well to tell you the truth unnie, I was going to tell you that this will be my last time I’m arranging this for you. I’m also busy you know with my school work. I only keep doing it because you didn’t find anyone of them suited to your type.”

Well there’s that as well.

“But unnie since this will be my last time, please say yes and after that well, you won’t be seeing me with another arrangement next time.” Seulgi put on a pleading look.

Irene let out a breath. Might as well go with it. “Fine. I’ll go. Just message me the time and the location as usual.”

“Yes. Thank you unnie. I’ll be leaving now.” Seulgi left with light in her steps.

Irene blew out a breath already feeling tired for the day and that was only from talking with her friend.

She purposely left out to Seulgi that she had already found someone but it’s just that they are not dating or meeting each other at the current moment. It’s complicated to say the least. They were just two people who had a moment last after a long hour of photoshoot. Heck she doesn’t even know his phone number let alone where he lives.

Although, glancing down at her phone, Irene knew of someone who did know his phone number and where he lives. With just a phone call to that person, her problem could easily be solved. She’d been fighting the temptation for the past couple of days. If she did made the call, that person would probably make an instant connection on why Irene suddenly calling and asking those questions.

Better not

Ever since that incident between the two of them, he had passed through her mind quite a few times in a day even while she’s busy. She wondered if he did thought of her because the last time she saw him, she thought she saw a glint of interest in his eyes. What if…..

Irene shook her head. Its better she doesn’t think that far ahead. With all her work and schedules for the next couple of months, by the end of it, she’s going to be burn out and the feeling might go away sooner or later.

***

Chaeyeon kept glancing back and forth from her phone to the guy talking outside with someone on his phone. It was already a few minutes since he received the call and he was laughing at what the person on the other line said.

She narrowed her eyes. Who was he talking to? She’s really curious.

“Jealous much Chaeyeon-ah?” Nayoung teased and smirked at her.

That day Chaeyeon requested he brought her to the coffeehouse he bought her the strawberry latte last time. She’d never admitted to him but the drink he bought her was really good even though she told him the opposite. She had also told him that Nayoung will be coming along with them during lunchtime.

He agreed.

When they had met at the cafeteria, Chaeyeon was surprised to see he had on three plasters across his face. He must had seen the expression on her face for he answered that he fell down on some prickly bushes while running in the park thus cutting himself in the face.

“I’m not jealous.” she denied looking at her phone again but still discreetly peeked at him.

Her friend rolled her eyes as if not believing what her friend said. Nayoung knew better than to say anymore if her friend was going to deny it again. She knew her friend was really jealous inside. She had heard it herself when Chaeyeon grilled him on the reason he was late meeting her last time especially on the question if his friends were females. She had held in laughter that time at those questions and the flustered expression on his face.

Jaehyun came back in. Even with the plasters on his face, Chaeyeon found that it only added to his attractiveness. How was that even possible?

He casted the girls apologetic look. “Sorry about that. That was an international call.”

Try as she might, Chaeyeon couldn’t help but blurted the question out loud “Who was it?” Curiosity got the better of her in the end.

Nayoung had a knowing smile on her face.

“A friend of mine from China.” He replied with a secret smile and resumed drinking his coffee.

Male or female?

She wanted to ask more but stopped herself not wanting to look like she’s prying. She found herself frowning, appalled that she became this type of person. She rarely meddles or asks too much even when she was with Junhong back then. With Jaehyun, though it’s different. She actually wanted to learn more about him. He intrigued her to say the least and maybe the first guy who didn’t fawn over her or looked at her as if she was a prize to be caught and brag much like the guys she dated before this.

He still had that smile played on his lips and wondered again if it’s a female who he was talking to with just now on the phone. She felt that unfamiliar feeling again like during the photo-shoot when he smiled at Irene. She still didn’t like it and found herself annoyed yet again.

Speaking of it, she also found him to be annoying as well. Not by the way he treated her. No complain on that one but the way he behaved towards her. For one thing, he clearly wanted to avoid the two of them having that ‘talk’. Yeah that talk they were going to have and then he just left. Second he’s really not easy to be baited as evidence by the fact her several attempts to get him to admit on certain things had failed.

Nayoung left them, thanking him for paying for the drinks as she had to do group work back at the apartment. Not long after that, they both exited the coffeehouse. Usually he would ask by now where they were heading but this time he didn’t. Instead his gaze was darted around the place as if he was searching for something or someone.

“What is it?” she asked.

“Ah nothing.” He replied giving her a nervous laugh as if surprised she caught him. “So where are we heading?”

“You’ll see.” She said not wanting to tell him. Their destination is a well-known shopping complex. He didn’t say anything to it and just followed her. They went from another shop to another with her still haven’t found the right outfit and still no complain from him. She looked backed at him and found his eyes darting again.

“Seriously who are you searching for?” She questioned suspiciously.

Startled, he replied “N-n-no one. I was just looking for the place to give present for my friend. His birthday is in a few days.”

She threw him a sceptical look. “Really then?” she drawled.

He nodded still having that nervous expression as if she caught him lying. Well she did but she’s not going to pressure him that day.

  1.  

***

He stood outside of the boutique store she had just entered. The whole time during their walk to the shopping complex, he just kept quiet fearing his stalker was around.

He felt something hit his foot. He was instantly on alert and ly to see an old blind man’s cane hit his feet. Jaehyun let out a breath, relief that it wasn’t the perpetrator or that someone was attacking him again. His eyes wandered around the place again looking for any sign or clue and still found none.

After he received that phone call from Kun, Jaehyun become much more aware of his surroundings. Ever since that incident in front of Chaeyeon’s apartment, he didn’t let his guard down even though it’s already passed two days with no attack which he found strange.

He had been waiting for that call from Kun. He had requested for his friend to hack the street cameras around the apartment. The phone call he received confirmed what the security guard said. The perpetrator was a tall man wearing black from head to toe but unfortunately Kun wasn’t able to see the face since the camera was a bit blurry. The second thing Jaehyun had requested was for Kun to trace the two different phone numbers that send him threatening messages only to found out that those two numbers were from disposable phones. A dead end.

However one thing he found curious was that the perpetrator knew his number which means it’s someone from the university. Not many people had his number. The first person that came to mind was Junhong. No surprise there as Jaehyun still saw the ex-boyfriend as the suspect but how did he found out?

As a precaution, he had told Kun to track down Junhong’s location during the day Jaehyun was attacked and the days the messages had been send to him. He rattled off Junhong’s number which he obtained from asking one of the student council members.

“Jaehyun? Is that you?” a female voice called out to him. He looked up and saw a familiar face.

It took him a while before he said, “Yuju?” At least that’s who he thought it was. He vaguely remembered her being in the same year as him and her class next to his. A memory then came to his mind of the two of them together but with her looking glum and sad gazing outside. He also remembered she had mentioned a name to him, someone who was dear to her.

Jaehyun immediately knew who it was because did something to Chaeyeon back then. What was it?

***

Chaeyeon didn’t know whether her brows could furrow any further as she stood inside the store staring at the woman talking with him. She was still looking at the various clothes when she saw a woman suddenly approached him and called his name. Though for some reason she kind of looked familiar to Chaeyeon.

She had long hair and seems to be about the same height as Chaeyeon. A close friend perhaps? Or was it his ex-girlfriend? Or maybe his secret girlfriend? That last one never once entered her mind before.

She then noticed the woman leaned forward to say something to Jaehyun that made the latter frantically shook his head and the former laughing as if in teasing.

Okay that’s it.

The green eyed monster had bitten again. She left the clothes that she had picked on the counter and marched silently towards wanting to catch them by surprise. She caught a brief glimpsed on the woman’s face before a male voice called out her name near the entrance door of the store.

“Chaeyeon?”

She turned to see a guy holding his two drinks in his hand and immediately recognised who it was in front of her. She didn’t think she would see him again after what happened back then in high school. His calling her name caught the attention of Jaehyun and the woman as well.

“Seokmin” she muttered uneasily to herself.

 

***

It’s him

Recognising the face, Jaehyun now recalled the name of the person Yuju mentioned and it was this guy. His gaze was on Chaeyeon who had an unreadable expression at the moment.

He had caught the name she muttered under her breath.

Seokmin

The image played on Jaehyun’s mind as it went back to that one sunny afternoon back then during high school when the school had only few students and staffs staying back because of an exam the next day. He didn’t mean to at that time but he had accidentally seen while passing through the rows of class while on his way to the teachers’ staff room, the two of them alone in the classroom. He abruptly hid himself near the lockers as to not been caught by them. He didn’t hear exactly what they were saying but it didn’t take him long to know that the guy was confessing to Chaeyeon.

Much like the guys before him, Chaeyeon had kindly rejected the guy from what he can see. However unlike the guys who were clearly crush or dejected, this guy was smiling as if a burden or something had been lifted from him. He then said something to her before leaving the room while she still remained inside.

The guy smiling left an impression to Jaehyun as he found it a bit strange after getting his confession turned down. He briefly glimpsed at Chaeyeon who now wore a guilty expression. Why?

Could he be?

A dark thought entered his mind. Jaehyun studied the guy more and found him to be tall just like the perpetrator. Looks like another person had entered in his suspect list and he had to check again with Kun about this guy. However one thing left him puzzled though.

Why attack him all of a sudden and not the guys before him like Junhong or her other ex-boyfriends before that? It didn’t make any sense to him and from what he can knew of Seokmin during high school was that he’s one of those students who were really good in both academic and sports especially in basketball. Plus Jaehyun never see him in the university before.

“Ah Seokmin. This is Jaehyun. He was in the same year as us back then.” Yuju introduced. Jaehyun was glad that she didn’t mention ‘it’ in front of Chaeyeon and Seokmin.

Seokmin shook hand while giving a friendly smile to Jaehyun who’s trying not to let his suspicion shown on the guy.

“You were from the same class with Chaeyeon right?” he asked innocently.

Wrong thing to say.

Jaehyun felt Chaeyeon stared him in shock from the side at that information. He grimaced at that. He purposely kept that information to himself.

He nodded. “Where are you studying now?” he straightforwardly asked. Seokmin mentioned a university not far away from his. From there they started having small talk with Chaeyeon joining in as well as she talked with Yuju though he felt her keeping eyes on him.

Then Yuju whispered something to Seokmin which made him laugh.

Definitely a couple, he thought to himself as he saw from the way both stood close to each other and the way they both looked at each other. Maybe he was wrong to suspect Seokmin because clearly he was happy with his girlfriend and the way he looked with Chaeyeon, it was just like meeting an old friend. Well he’s removed from the list for now.

“Nice bracelet you got there Chaeyeon. Where did you buy it?” Yuju commented and Jaehyun silently went still,

Dear god. Don’t let her make the connection.

He highly doubted she would but you can never be too careful.

He really had thought he was being discreet enough with no one seeing him slid a present under Chaeyeon’s table but apparently someone saw it. He even went to school early that time to take advantage of the school being near empty except for the few staffs. That’s what Yuju had about earlier. Imagined his surprise when she had asked him earlier what kind gift he gave to Chaeyeon that time later sheepishly admitting she saw him do it.

Chaeyeon answered the question. Jaehyun masked his expression trying not to give himself away as he heard the answer while at the same time pleased with himself that she loved the gifts.

Worth it.

“Well it was good seeing you again Chaeyeon and Jaehyun. Let’s meet again soon.” Yuju said as she and Seokmin waved at them before leaving the two of them alone again.

Both of them nodded and waved back before he felt Chaeyeon swivelled her gaze at him. An expressionless look on her face that he knew had so many questions on it. An urge to gulp nearly overcome him but he held it back.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” the question was laced with annoyance and anger in it that he knew she tried to quell down.

He pursed his lips deciding whether or not to give her the truthful answer. In the end its better he be honest with her considering her expression. “Well, I didn’t think…….you would remember me anyway.”

He rubbed his neck nervously.

“Why?” she asked.

He frowned, staring at her in confusion. “What do you mean why? We’re not really on speaking terms or close back then. I bet you couldn’t remember half of the classmates except those you were close with. You’re not the type let many people get close to you.” He truthfully told her and realised his tone was a bit sharp as he said that. Maybe a little part of him was hurt she didn’t remember.

That answer left her gaping at him and he knew he hit the nail on the head though it didn’t lower his guilt.

“W-well you could have told me.” She stammered and hastily entered the store again avoiding his gaze.

Cute

He released a sigh of relief that she wasn’t mad at him long. He couldn’t fault with her for being that angry with him at first. He’s still reeling from the words she said to Yuju about the bracelet and the necklace as well.

Who would have thought such gift would bring that much an impact on her? For him, it was only two gifts to pretty much at least bring some comfort to her but clearly she didn’t see it the same way.

She exited the store purposely not looking or saying anything at him. Apparently she was still a bit embarrassed by his admission of truth. Maybe he shouldn’t be that blunt he thought.

***

The walk to her apartment was silent all the way with both of them not wanting to break it with Jaehyun not knowing what to say to her and Chaeyeon sulking and a bit hurt by his bluntness.

He followed behind her as he usually did but somehow he felt there was a gap between them that wasn’t there before. He his lips nervously.

“Chaeyeon”

She didn’t stop walking and he kept up pace with her. She stopped walking when he was at her side. The moment he saw the expression on her face, he wished he could take back the words.

“Chaeyeon. I’m really sorry what I said back there. It was harsh of me and you didn’t deserve that.”

She exhaled a breath feeling ridiculous with herself. Though yes she deserved the apology she also felt bad. Hearing what he said well she couldn’t fault him by his answer because he was right. She’s only close with some of her former classmates and really if someone asked her before this if she knew he was in the same class as hers, her head probably come up with a blank.

She still didn’t look up to him. “It’s fine. I’m sorry as well for overreacting. You’re right though. I don’t really know much about some of our classmates including you.” She smiled apologetically at him.

They were silent for a moment before they resumed walking. Trying to lighten the atmosphere, he started regaling her with some of the funny events that happened during their high school days such as the pranks, celebrations that they did in the class while at the same time trying to avoid telling those events where she wasn’t there not wanting her feeling missed out. They laughed at the memory and chatted the whole way.

Watching and talking to her right now, Jaehyun felt something akin to warmth in his chest. For the last couple of days, he actually enjoyed his time with her even with what she made him do. Now that he thought about it, maybe a secret part of him had agreed to be her servant at willing because it’s his chance to get closer with her.

Their shoulders and hands occasionally brush against each other making him that much more aware of her. If he’s being honest with himself again, that first time he pulled her up weeks ago, he could have sworn he felt something like an electric shimmer coursed through him and wondered if she felt it but from the brush off she gave him, he doubted it and plainly didn’t think much of it at that time. He felt it again during the photo shoots but again ignored it as well. Now he couldn’t because this time, it felt a bit stronger than the last.

The hairs on the back of Jaehyun’s head rise again reminding him of another feeling entirely. He momentarily forgot about it during the whole occasion with Chaeyeon. Talk about a buzz kill to the mood while she continued telling him their high school memories. He was still listening but his mind was elsewhere. He swept his gaze around and found nothing.

He clenched his jaw, growing more frustrated by the minute. He still found it weird that his attacker laid him off for the past two days. What gives?

He looked at her as she was still recounting stories on their high school days and he was met with a revelation. If their agreement on this ended in the next two days, will his stalker stopped? Or still bear a grudge and still harassed Jaehyun? The thought itself was already disturbing and sickening to him.

Will she be safe? That’s what concerned him the most. Though she wasn’t the main target, he feared that the stalker would move on to her.

He only had two more days with her. How is he going to keep her safe and not alarmed her about this?

“-plasters?”

That shook him out his thought. “W-what?”

She was staring at him with that serious expression on her face. “I said can I remove your plasters?”

Didn’t expect that

One eyebrow raised, he eyed her curiously. “Why?” Though the thought of her removing his plasters with her hands on his face didn’t really bother him much at all. Secretly he would welcome it.

What he really found intriguing was why the sudden question.

“J-j-just because….I wanted to see how your injuries are.” She stuttered nervously.

He stared at her for a moment before nodding. “Okay.”

The moment her hands came in contact with his face and started to slowly peel one of the plasters on his cheek, he could smell a faint scent of perfume from her. Something citrusy.

He hoped she didn’t notice his ears were turning a bit red. Being this close with her again, unlike last time, he didn’t feel the least bit uncomfortable. He silently thanked fate that he didn’t remove the plaster for the past three days except one. He was just too lazy to bother himself with it. His friends had asked him about it a couple of days ago he simply told them what he told to Chaeyeon.

“It looks okay” she inspected the little cut that were healing on his face and Jaehyun traced it. He flinch a bit as he can still feel the stinging pain of those rocks.

He didn’t know what happen next after that when he suddenly felt his head being pulled down and his mouth was met with a soft pair of lips. He can feel his heart quickened and purposely on her part, Jaehyun felt her palm trailing up towards his heart. He didn’t need to look to see a smirk playing on her lips.

Tease

It didn’t take him long to respond to her. He smirked when he heard her indrawn breath when he slanted his head to kiss her more deeply rather than just a light brush on the lips.

Unsurprisingly to him, she was first one to pull away as she stared at him wide eyed in surprise. Jaehyun, though masked his face with a neutral expression, inside he’s trying calm the erratic beating of his heart.

Still speechless from that kiss, both didn’t say anything to each other and avoided eye contact. Chaeyeon picked up the shopping bag she put down and continued walking far ahead albeit hurriedly in his opinion. He didn’t blame her for it if she did as he purposely let her have her distance and so there’s quite a gap between them as he followed her behind.

Even when he entered her apartment building, she still didn’t look at him. They both stopped in front of the elevator and she pressed the button. While waiting for it, she finally turned to him, her cheeks beet red.

“I’m sorry…for….. just now. It wouldn’t happen again.” She apologised, her head down before looking up at him. He had an unreadable expression on his face as he continued to look at her. No response from him.

Chaeyeon bit her lip as the air between them become even more awkward by the minute.

Stupid stupid stupid, she mentally punished herself.

“W-w-well. That’s it. Thank you for today. I’ll see you tomorrow.” She hastily said uncomfortable with his silence.

Perfect timing as well when she heard the ding and the elevator door opened. She really needed to get away from him before she did something stupid again like kissing him for the second time that day. Her lips still tingled from that kiss.

Just when she was about to enter, a hand suddenly grabbed her arm, stopping her for a moment. Exasperated she turned to him demanding what he wanted now but before she could say it, he had leaned his head down at her and kissed her gently this time.

Oh wow!

To say she was shocked would be an understatement. Not wanting to think anymore into this and just going to go with the flow, she closed her eyes and kissed him back. She welcomed the sensation that had come over. She didn’t want to think of the consequences right now. Besides, who cares anyway? Certainly not both of them.

The kiss went for a while when he was the one who broke it between them. Opening her eyes, she saw that he was breathless and so was she. With them still being closed, they shyly gazed at one another not wanting to break the moment they had. It was only the two of them anyway. Unknowing to them, something definitely had shifted between them.

Then he said “You should go.” The words were spoken softly that it made her smile a bit.

She simply nodded and entered the elevator. When she turned to face him again, he flashed her tender smile that told her a lot of meaning and she found herself relaying the same things back at him just before the door closed.