What happened?

Monica

"Errr blood, what blood... ?" Sungmin was confused. He didn't use any sauce for blood at the knife.

"Aisshhh, Sungmin, you are so forgetful. Go see your display, it's really awesome. Good job!! Keep it up!" and Mr Kim was off the line.

"Blood? Maybe it's colour run from the inner material? Or Donghae put some chilli sauce to be more realistic?" Sungmin was thinking loudly. Donghae was his part-time staff who sometimes help him dressing up Monica. "I better check Monica up"

On the way towards Monica, Sungmin got a call from his boyfriend, Kyuhyun. "Ming, I buy you lunch? I can drop by your place to pass you the pack"

"No need Kyu, I ate the sandwich that you left some for me before you left" 

"That was for your breakfast!" 

"Oh well, I woke up late so it became my lunch haha. By the way, Kyu, did you see the knife I put at Monica last night?"

"Yes, what about it. Have you replace it with a toy knife?"

"Not yet, I came in and everybody was talking about it and praise it. It helped with the leather suit's sale!"

"Wow that's good. Congrats! So what about the knife?"

"I'm in front of Monica's display now and I see it too! There are traces of blood on the knife"

"Blood? The knife was clean last night"

"You saw it too, right? I thought I am so forgetful! It has blood now. I thought maybe Donghae put some sauce on it to make it realistic, but now that I have a closer look, it's not chilli sauce"

"Maybe you ask Donghae to confirm? And take a photo, at least you can show it to him. Ming, I call you later to pick you up ok? I might be slightly late, I need to meet a client at Gangnam first"

"Sure Kyu. Love you"

"Love love love you!!"

Sungmin smile. He loves this man very much. He is so caring and genuinely love him. He thank God for sending this man to him though it was a bad start about the shirt exchange. They still laughed about it though it happened more than a year ago.

Coming back to Monica. He took a photo and then went into the display area to remove the knife. He used a plastic glove and pull the knife carefully before putting it inside a zip lock plastic. He went to the toy dept and got a toy knife, and put it back into Monica's hand.

Somehow, when he viewed the display, it didn't give the same impact as the real knife. He scratched his head.

"Hyung what's up?" Donghae came up to him and stand next to him to see Monica.

"Hi Hae!! Hey I want to ask you something, did you happened to put some chili sauce at the knife, this morning?"

"Chilli sauce? Knife? No, I was just wiping the window. The knife was already with blood this morning. I thought it was done by you. It was a brilliant idea hyung! So realistic! Ehhh, but why did you change it with a toy knife?"

"I was supposed to use a toy knife but the toy dept has closed last night. So I took the knife in the kitchen. But it was clean, no blood or no sauce whatsoever"

"It was clean. Really? Then how.... "

"Yes. I wondered too. Something tells me this got to do with Mr Kwan's murder. I heard the police have not found the murder weapon yet".

"Mr Kwan is murdered? When? Oh my God I just saw him yesterday before I left".

"Tell me about it! I saw him last night too and bid goodbye to him. And the display area has been locked. Unless the murderer knew about the side door". 

"I doubt it hyung. The side door can only be opened from the inside. Unlikely the murderer was already inside the display when you locked the display window".

"I really don't know Hae. Nobody else was in the display area except me. My boyfriend Kyuhyun was standing outside. Maybe I just show this knife to the police for them to investigate". 

"Hyung, you must protect yourself or else you will be the one getting suspected. Did you snap a photo of the display before you left? At least you can prove that the knife was clean".

"Ohh you are right, Hae. I need to protect myself. But I didn't take a photo! Silly me. Hmmm but I think my boyfriend did. Let me call him. Oh but he's on his way meeting a client"

"Message him then. Don't hand over the knife to the police yet until you have the evidence". 

"Ok thanks Hae!" 

Donghae bounced off somewhere. He's playful but smart. Too bad he could not join them as full time staff. He's a dance instructor and work part-time here to earn extra money. And it was worth it as he 'found' Hyukjae. Hyukjae loved dancing too and they immediately clicked. And Sungmin heard that they are dating now. Wow. 

He messaged Kyuhyun, asking him if he snapped a photo of the display last night. It was a while before Kyuhyun replied. He felt bad for disturbing Kyuhyun. 

Kyuhyun texted back. "I did, hold on Ming, I will forward to you" 

"Thanks Kyu and sorry for disturbing you. I know you are with a client" Sungmin replied him. 

Kyuhyun looked for the photo, attached it in his text and then replied Sungmin. "It's ok don't worry about it. Ok I just share. You receive it?"

"Yes, received. Thanks Kyu, see you tonight!" Sungmin texted back. 

"See you love" Kyuhyun put a love icon after the word 'see you'. 
 
Sungmin observed the photo. From this angle, yes the knife was clean. Is this good enough evidence? But what good would this photo be, if the police still wouldn't be able to solve the misery of the murder? Maybe the knife was not even related to the murder? Should he hand over or he should he not hand over? Sigh, Sungmin felt hopeless and indecisive. Things like this, he needs his boyfriend Kyuhyun. But he cannot disturb him now. 

He tried to think like Kyuhyun. What would Kyu probably say if he ask his opinion? Kyuhyun probably would asked him to go ahead to the police. It would be worst if he hide the evidence, if it is an evidence at all. With that in mind he took the knife in the zip lock bag and put it in a paperbag, and walked over to the police station nearby. 

After introducing himself and some explanation about the mannequin with the blood-stained knife, he told the policeman of his suspicion that the murderer probably used the knife. He showed the before and after photo and handed over the knife in which the police said they would have to send to the lab to check whether the blood matched the murdered person, Mr Kwan. The policeman got Sungmin to send the 2 photos to him, took down Sungmin's ID and phone number, and thanked him. He was allowed to go. 

Sungmin walked back to his department store with mixed feelings. Did he do the right thing? What if he became the murder suspect? His fingerprints would be on the knife too. But he knew he has Kyuhyun as his witness and he would definitely stood by him and proved that he was with him whole night. 

"Sungmin-hyung, Hae told me that you replaced the knife with a toy knife and that you are going to the police station. Isit true? Are you alright?" Hyukjae immediately went to him when he saw Sungmin walked in. Ryeowook and Shindong came over as well. 

"Yes it's true and I just came back from the station" Sungmin then told them his suspicion, showed them the photos and that he was still baffled how could somebody took the knife when the display window is locked. 

"Hyung, there's a surveillance camera opposite our main door, and for sure the display area will be in full view. Maybe we should inform the police to check that camera's video because I don't think the police ask for it yet. They only asked to see the mall's cameras, not those own by our dept store". 

"You are right Wook. I never thought of that. Maybe I should call the police inspector and inform him" Sungmin said while still thinking about something. "Do you think somebody is holding a duplicate key to the display window?" 

"I don't think so Sungmin. We have to sign for it if we want to open the display area. Keys are numbered and accounted for" Shindong told him, and continued "I saw you signed for it when you returned back the keys, it was 10.30pm last night. I happened to see when I sign for the watches display cabinet this morning" 

"So we are back to square one, keys are not duplicated, the display area was locked, the side door can only be opened from the inside, and yet, the knife got out and killed somebody" Sungmin was back with his baffled look. 

"It's yet to be proven. Maybe the knife have no connection to the murder, though how it got blood stain, I also can't think of anything" Hyukjae said thoughtfully. 

"Hyung, maybe you call to update Mr Kim? At least he will know what's going on when the police come to enquire about the surveillance camera" Ryeowook suggested. 

"Yes, I plan to talk to him too. Maybe I talk to him first before I inform Inspector Shim about the surveillance camera opposite our door" Sungmin said and got up from his chair. 

"I can go with you hyung" Ryeowook volunteered. 

"It's ok, Wook. I go myself". 

"Ok hyung, good luck" Wook waved at Sungmin who has walked off. 

"In the meantime how about we check out that surveillance camera? Maybe we can zoom in the exact time when something suspicious happened" Hyukjae suggested to Ryeowook and Shindong. 

"Good idea, Hyuk. I call my friend in security. He should be able to help us" Shindong has already picking up his phone to make the call. 

The three of them was watching the surveillance camera and they did see both Sungmin and his boyfriend, Kyuhyun, left the display window after Sungmin locked the front entrance, and yes, they could see the glimpse of the knife, without the blood stain. Nothing happened for a long while and when Shindong's security friend wanted to fast forward the video, Ryeowook stopped him

"What a second! Rewind back about 2 minutes. Guys, did you see something?" 

"What? There's nobody there, Wook" Hyukjae was confused. 

"Pay attention to Monica" Ryeowook told them. 

"OMG, is this a camera trick? Seriously??" Shindong looked closer. 

"I'll rewind again" Jinki, Shindong's security friend told them. 

"That's the one! Press hold and rewind again, I want to capture it in a video using my camera!" Hyukjae said excitedly. 

After that, they continued to watch and there, they saw it again and this round, it was worst! All their jaw dropped and they looked at each other. Hyukjae captured those moments again in his video and couldn't wait to show it to Sungmin. 

"Jinki-ssi, is there another surveillance camera next to the camera facing our main entrance? I mean towards the mall security post?" 

"Yes there's one, but it's from the side of our entrance facing the mall" 

"Can we take a look too?" 

"Hyuk, do you think we can see it?" 

"I hope so! Wait till we show this to Sungmin-hyung! His Monica is alive!!"