III

Catch Me, I'm In Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The applauses were soon drowned out by the sound of the bell ringing. That concluded not only the day, but the talent show they hosted. Jisoo was happy that his plans managed to follow the time perfectly fine, and discreetly he praised himself for being too good. Everyone was able to perform and put on a show. Well, everyone but one. As his students and their parents filed out one by one, he waved with a lighthearted smile before letting his gaze drift off towards a certain student who sat at his desk throughout the whole performance, coloring in his coloring book or just simply drawing on the blank paper Jisoo provided hours before. The classroom was soon filled with silence as the teacher went to put the chairs back in their proper locations. Not only that, but it was evident enough that Jisoo's gaze still lingered but Chan ignored it entirely. Hansol and Seungkwan's persuasion wouldn't make him budge. Not even the empty chair Jisoo pulled out next to him made Chan come over and join. As the teacher, he was upset about it but not as upset as Chan was at this moment. Once the chairs were put back in their rightful places, Jisoo lingered, more like hovered over Chan until he decided to sit in the chair besides him. Though the chair was small and didn't feel all that great on his rear, he just smiled stiffly and grabbed the coloring book as well as a green crayon. Deafening silence fell over the two once more as Jisoo began to color in the shape slowly, glancing over to Chan's drawing where he pressed the red crayon down on the paper harshly and then began to color in his drawing, almost aggressively. Moments passed before Jisoo finished half of his coloring before the younger finally spoke up,

"Do you need something, Mr. Hong?" Chan asked meekly, causing the purple crayon to roll out of Jisoo's hand. But before it could fall into the gaps, he leaned over, grabbing it, saving him the trouble from having to crawl underneath the desk. 

"Need anything? No, I just-" he cut himself off, rubbing the back of his neck before setting the crayon down, letting his hands fall onto his lap, clasping them together, "How.. Are you?"

"Bad," he answered almost immediately, "I'm bad." 

And it was indeed evident in his tone. 

"Would you like to tell me why?" the teacher asked cautiously, leaning over to look at his student properly. '

Chan began to slow down with his coloring upon hearing his question. A sigh elicited from his mouth as he let his red crayon lay flat against the table, eyebrows furrowed. Just faintly, Jisoo could see the tears that glistened his eyes but decided to not make a comment, even when he angrily tugged at his sweater sleeves and wiped his eyes. "I miss my mom."

At his words, Jisoo nodded slowly but felt confused. Even conflicted. Missed her? I thought she lived with them? It would have made sense at the very least. Ex-wife of CEO Yoon comes back claiming they indeed have a five year old kid that she hid. Lifting his hand up slowly, he rubbed Chan's back, "Where is she?"

Chan leaned into his touch, his legs that dangled moved back and forth mindlessly, "She's far away," he mumbled quietly, "I don't know where but mama was really sick and then sent me to papa's because of that. The nurses kept me company though! Mama was too sick to play after all." his voice grew quiet as he rubbed his face again, "I miss her." he said, though muffled due to his hands, "A lot."

Jisoo noticed how antsy he was - how Chan needed a distraction before he actually starts crying. It wouldn't be the first time Jisoo had to handle a fussing Chan but it wasn't all that pretty. He could cry for hours on end if he didn't say the right words. Sometimes, he just seeked skinship. Though, it wasn't recommended for teacher's to do this at all, but all kids just needed someone to comfort them. It wasn't like he was gonna let them throw a tantrum and let them cry until they passed out from exhaustion. He knows how much of a horrible feeling that was. "How about you tell me all about your mother?" he opted after a moment, watching as his face lit up, "While helping me clean this classroom up?"

"Okay!" he chirped almost immediately, sitting up from his seat, "I'm in!"

Jisoo listened to every word that Chan had to say about his mother. Even though it was mostly just word dump, he found amusement in them. He noticed how fond he was of his mother and how happy he got. He spoke about how she was pretty like a flower. How she smelled like flowers. She was funny. Kind even. To Jisoo, it seemed like every man's dream. But that also made him curious. How did the fall between her and Jeonghan happened? But, Jisoo would never pry into the Yoon business, fearing it would drag him down some other path and that very idea scared him. There were times when Jisoo heard Chan sniffling as he folded the blankets on the ground whenever a fond memory was brought up. Of course, Jisoo immediately calmed the younger down. He wasn't quite sure how much time had passed but it was nearing night time once more. Just like the other day. 

The sound of the hallway door opening caught Jisoo's attention. Chan grabbed the folded blankets one by one and stacked them up in the corner, paying no mind to what was happening to them. Jun, followed by Minghao who held bundles of paper walked in, sporting grins on their faces. Jisoo waved at them both, watching as Minghao set the stack of papers on the desk, patting it after, "Your packages came in."

"Thanks," Jisoo answered back, smiling graciously, watching as Jun walked over to Chan and poked both of his sides, a giggle falling from the younger's lips as he wiggled away.

"Hey, little guy, what are you doing here still?" Jun raised his hand and immediately Chan jumped up and gave him a high five, his smaller hands making a small noise against Jun's palm.

"Waiting for papa!"

"Did you peform today?" Jun asked suddenly and the classroom became quiet. With this chilling silence, Jun already regretted asking as a tight lipped smile was on his face as he rubbed the back of his neck, meeting JIsoo's glare and Minghao's confused look. Chan just shook his head and went back to clean up his toys. Jun sent them both a sorry glance, in which Jisoo just tsk'd. Jisoo knew Jun was... Special but his special moment here gave the teacher an idea.

"Why don't you perform for Mr. Jun and Mr. Hao?" he asked, clasping his hands together as he moved from side to side for a moment, almost nervous if he too struck a cord. Luckily, he didn't when Chan whipped around with a smile on his face and nodded his head. With that, Jisoo walked over to his cabinet and grabbed his guitar from inside and settled on the high chair. The two staff members settled on the table, Minghao leaning on Jun for support, his back now pressed against his chest. Before anything could happen, the door suddenly opened and in came Seungcheol.

"I'm so sorry, Chan," the assistant breathed out all in one go. His tie was slightly loosened, panting as his hands searched for some type of purchase on the wall so he could catch his breath. That was short lived when Chan squealed with excitement and ran over to him, hugging him tightly. To which he accepted and quickly let go.

"it's called common courtesy," someone seethed from behind him, the sound of the door now shutting behind them both. Jeonghan began to dust off his blazer and though his hair looked like a mess, he still looked good. Jisoo envied that entirely.

Chan squinted, narrowing his eyes at his father as he crossed his arms. Jun and Jisoo were worried that another Yoon family fued was going to happen. Minghao could only sit there, wide eyed. Indeed, he wasn't disappointed with his looks. Suddenly, all three of them looked at each other and awkwardly shifted their gazes up to the ceiling, finding that much more interesting. As his blazer was dusted off, his gaze was now solely focused on his son as he slowly approached him. Chan stood his ground nonetheless, a pout fixated on his pink lips, mustering up the angriest look he was able to, and tried to express a cold demeanor he learned from his father over the months. 

Squatting down to his height, he lifted up his hand and wrapped it around Chan's small wrist and tugged him closer. Of course he wouldn't budge quite yet as he shook his head until one last tug and he was pulled into his embrace, his face pressed against chest. "I'm sorry I couldn't make it."

It was rare for apologies to even come out of Jeonghan's mouth that it even shocked Chan. All his anger managed to melt away as he buried his face farther into his chest, "It's okay."

Moments passed before Jeonghan pul

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter